Mordhau

Ban Discussion

Count 256 280

Stouty is so on point, specially if this happened on a private server. So If I want to run a politically incorrect server that I am hosting, a Dev can hop in, get insulted and then ban the player? Now having read this thread I can understand the hows and whys as well as some of the details being murky. I am not defending either side as it clearly is a hot dumpster fire and still fresh. I can see a perm ban on official servers like Chiv did and leave the rest up for individual server hosts/owners to OPT into universal bans or not.

There are so many other and better ways of dealing with an obnoxious shitlord. Give us voting abilities in game and more extensive admin controls as I originally posted long ago.

Keep in mind the many admin controls that sourceMOD has that are not only punishing but hilarious like Uber Pimp Slap and Rocket. Basically it is an admin command that slaps the person for 1 hit of damage in a fast infinite loop until they die, over and over again. Rocket - which would launch them into the sky and they would explode into fire works... Hell there was even one that turned the player into a chicken armed only with a dagger.

Duke 5550 13280
  • 6 Oct '18
 Jax — Community Manager

because of his long-standing and respected place in the community

haha no

As for this happening on a private server - you have to understand that these are privately owned servers - not password-locked private servers. If you are hosting a server and allow the public to play on it you're free to enforce your own rules, hell, you can ban people for saying 'yeet' for all I care - but if the public community is allowed on that server we reserve the right to deal with people that are being harmful to the community.

Duke 986 1381
  • 6 Oct '18
 PadanFain

EggzOvrEZ said it best

Knight 29 89
  • 6 Oct '18
 PeachPatrol

@Jax said:

haha no

Ah yes, because Crush throwing a "Community Manager" badge at you is a basis for deciding what the community as a whole is thinking.

@Jax said:
we reserve the right to deal with people that are being harmful to the community.

See above. Having the legal right to do something isn't the same as having the moral right. For all that's been said about common sense, you'd think those in the position of authority could be expected to uphold decent practices.

3234 4264
  • 6 Oct '18
 Havoc

@Jax said:

haha no

As for this happening on a private server - you have to understand that these are privately owned servers - not password-locked private servers. If you are hosting a server and allow the public to play on it you're free to enforce your own rules, hell, you can ban people for saying 'yeet' for all I care - but if the public community is allowed on that server we reserve the right to deal with people that are being harmful to the community.

What if I want Lazy on my server, but I still want VAC so that people that used 3rd party software to modify their game can't join?

Knight 29 89
  • 6 Oct '18
 PeachPatrol

@Havoc said:
What if I want Lazy on my server, but I still want VAC so that people that used 3rd party software to modify their game can't join?

In the words of Crush, "Not my problem."

Duke 5550 13280
  • 6 Oct '18
 Jax — Community Manager

@PeachPatrol said:
Ah yes, because Crush throwing a "Community Manager" badge at you is a basis for deciding what the community as a whole is thinking.

The majority of the community is happy they don't have to deal with a racist, bigoted individual shouting slurs at them and being generally disruptive.

See above. Having the legal right to do something isn't the same as having the moral right. For all that's been said about common sense, you'd think those in the position of authority could be expected to uphold decent practices.

The moral right to ban someone who is negatively affecting the experience of other players? Seems like we made the right call.

If you're friends with toxic, racist individuals and want to play Mordhau with them, go ahead. Host a server, password lock it and disable the global banlist. Don't expect us to feel bad about doing the right thing here.

324 865
  • 6 Oct '18
 Xatrian

@Jax said:

haha no

What a statement. I'm really amazed.

Duke 5550 13280
  • 6 Oct '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Our intention isn't to police private servers - they're your house, your rules. When someone's behavior extends to every active server (private or not) and is a detriment to Mordhau's playerbase as a whole, this forces our hand. At this point it becomes a matter regarding the game as a whole, not just a single privately-owned server. We're not going to be hopping in your private server and VAC-banning people for saying mean words, like I was saying earlier - this individual was a problem on not only a single server, but the entire game.

We're not going to sit idly by and let a single person actively try to ruin the experience for the rest of the players of Mordhau. If you're looking for a game where the developers don't care about their playerbase, look somewhere else.

1088 6148
  • 6 Oct '18
 crushed — Art

@Jax said:
We're not going to be hopping in your private server and VAC-banning people for saying mean words, like I was saying earlier - this individual was a problem on not only a single server, but the entire game.

To add to this, we're not going to be babysitting the servers even with rules in place, there will be a very lax approach when it comes to this stuff. The individual in question simply crossed the line way too far, there are many reasons why he got banned, including things such as threatening to DDOS Mordhau servers.

Nobody in this game will be banned for insults or being politically incorrect alone.

3234 4264
Knight 1269 3811
  • 6 Oct '18
 Frise

@Jax said:
The majority of the community is happy they don't have to deal with a racist, bigoted individual shouting slurs at them and being generally disruptive.

Except everyone can call south americans _ without worrying about getting banned because it's fine as long as you don't offend crush.

@crushed said:
Nobody in this game will be banned for insults or being politically incorrect alone.

No, they will only be banned when you get upset or don't like them.

Duke 5550 13280
  • 6 Oct '18
 Jax — Community Manager

point them out and I'll take care of them, Frise

1757 1417
  • 6 Oct '18
 Rergato

I can't take people that use the phrase "stop being so politically correct" to defend their douchebaggery seriously at all. Grow up.

3234 4264
  • 6 Oct '18
 Havoc

@Jax said:

jax is dumb.PNG

Count 256 280

@mrjoe said:
I can't take people that use the phrase "stop being so politically correct" to defend their douchebaggery seriously at all. Grow up.

Well you can live your live in constant victimhood and being easily offended

3234 4264
  • 6 Oct '18
 Havoc

@mrjoe said:

It's more of a situation where a community are worried about an emotional personal abuse of power through a product and service.

Knight 29 89
  • 6 Oct '18
 PeachPatrol

@crushed said:
@Frise said:
Except everyone can call south americans _ without worrying about getting banned ...
@Jax said:

Hm

@crushed said:
threatening to DDOS Mordhau servers.

This was a joke, much like your informing Lazy of his upcoming ban.
"don't worry Lazy, you will be deleted soon"
You're taking liberties and interpreting anything he said as threats.

@Jax said:
We're not going to be hopping in your private server and VAC-banning people for saying mean words, like I was saying earlier - this individual was a problem on not only a single server, but the entire game.

Except the "entire game" in respect to the person's offenses is private servers, so yes, you are hopping into private servers and VAC-banning people for saying mean words.

@Jax said:
When someone's behavior extends to every active server (private or not)

The person in question was never on official servers.

@crushed said:
We're not going to sit idly by and let a single person actively try to ruin the experience for the rest of the players of Mordhau.

This is a biased mischaracterization of the person in question, but more importantly it's not a reason to permanently ban people from VAC enabled private servers.

@Jax said:
... we reserve the right to deal with people that are being harmful to the community.

OK great, how about announcing that BEFORE giving a permanent ban, at LEAST to the person in question.

@crush said:
... there are many reasons why he got banned, ...

If you have information about the person breaking a rule, please share it.

@Jax said:
If you're friends with toxic, racist individuals and want to play Mordhau with them, go ahead. Host a server, password lock it and disable the global banlist.

Saying toxic and racist things is both common and not infringing on official boundaries set for in-game discussion.
Forcing us to password lock our servers is hardly different from making impossible at all. Nobody will ever do this. Having open servers for casual play is an important part of melee slasher culture.

If you force people to run servers without VAC just so they can circumvent your stupid bans, everyone who joins that server will blame Triternion, not the person in question, for the hackers they have to deal with.

This is such push-under-the-rug response for a flippant, forcible, total removal of a customer and community member.

Knight 25 36
  • 6 Oct '18
 Corpsehammer

As the owner of the most popular NA server, Community Duels Chicago, and as someone who has been playing basically every day since the launch of alpha, I sincerely and wholeheartedly agree with the developers' decision to ban ToLazy4Name from the game.

I have never seen so much relentless toxicity and verbal abuse out of one player. This kid dedicates time playing this game making sure other players are having as little fun as possible. Anyone who knows him from Chiv knows just as well. I gave him many many chances, was forced to ban him several times. He would surely carry this behavior on through release and beyond, I have no doubt in my mind. If I were the developers, I wouldn't even want that troll's money.

He had it coming. They made the right decision.

324 865
  • 6 Oct '18
 Xatrian

They made the right decision to ban someone on a private server with no rules in place

how do you people even function