Mordhau

What causes headshot issues like this?

251 859
  • 1 Sep '18
 Cswic

I have been on the receiving end and giving end of this. Even heard the headshot dink and got the hitmarker. Handful of times I'd be 0/1/0 in patch 16 and get an axe stuck in my head only to live. Now in patch 17 I have this happen. Is this simply ping related? I had 80 ping on the server which is in the "high but still mostly playable" realm.

I know that when you throw a weapon at something the weapon often snaps a little to the set stuck position on the object. But this case doesn't seem like a "it hit chest but snapped to a head stuck position" really.

I had huntsman on which is why it did 74 since thrown axe deals 37 to light chest.

Knight 225 516
  • 1 Sep '18
 Duckalot

Thank you! This has been a big problem of mine aswell lately when i started to play with my axe wielder. Didnt realize this was a bug until i saw this though... just thought 1h axe did less dmg than throwable axes...

985 6954
  • 1 Sep '18
 marox — Project Lead

@Cswic said:
I know that when you throw a weapon at something the weapon often snaps a little to the set stuck position on the object. But this case doesn't seem like a "it hit chest but snapped to a head stuck position" really.

What happened was the axe hit the chest first with its hitbox (the hitbox has some height to it as you can expect, and it probably just clipped the chest first) and damage was calculated. Before applying the damage, visually the game adjusted the hit location for sticky towards the head, because that's where the axe head was. Now, the server would send the correct headshot marker/sound in this case as it is not something that's done by the client and is 100% correct, but it seems there's a bug and the server is using the modified visual location to determine whether it was a headshot.

Interestingly enough, it might be better to keep this behavior, and also deal headshot damage if the weapon ends up stickying on the head, as that would keep it consistent. Good catch!

EDIT: this applies to all projectiles, by the way, not just the axe. The repositioning is just more common on projectiles that are bigger, such as throwing weapons that generally have a height component to the projectile collision box.

251 859
  • 1 Sep '18
 Cswic

Thanks for the in depth explanation as always.

251 859
  • 5 Sep '18
 Cswic

Followup with another instance of the bug where the opposite happened. He has no quiver so huntsman damage shouldn't apply since it could be easy to mistake as a chest shot.

Headshot deals 100 damage, but no dink.
Flesh wound kicks in since he took 100 damage, but it shouldn't have since since it was a head shot. Seems to be consistent with what marox said about server using the visual location to determine if it was a headshot though.
Arrow looks like it stuck to his neck / shoulder area.