Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

My first Impression of Patch 17 (Un-Biased)

Mercenary 6 18
  • 26 Aug '18
 Vq.| Blink

Hello! Welcome to my first Forum post. I do enjoy this patch so far especially with the Revitalized player base. But this post will go more into depth on changes that I found mechanical or clunky in nature. I'll do my best to keep this unbiased as I do really enjoy the game.

• Disclaimer- I am genuinely trying to give input on what I feel may cause issues in the game later on. I am welcome to Rebuttals on why some of my points may be valid or not. But I'll be ignoring comments that are just insulting me or the post.

Parry

• I'll start this discussion with parry. First and foremost- The dramatic increase to the parry turn cap. When I first read the patch notes this one slightly confused me and I wasn't sure the reasoning of it. With some game play I felt severely handicapped when trying to turn and parry an opponent or even something more simple like a waterfall or jump stab.
  • Secondly- I feel parry is slightly shorter. But this may be due to the fact that we now know the exact window with the Shield animation, as well as the sharper parry animation.

The Change to attack queuing

• This may be an issue with my old muscle memory to previous patches. But you cannot queue attacks in late release of a weapon anymore. Essentially any point AFTER the grunt you cannot queue an attack. I find myself often in engagements attacking and not combo-ing and losing some initiative.

• The rather large issue with this is the fact that you actually have to input another attack before you know if your previous attack was either parried, missed, or the attack connected. Which just feels super intuitive. I find myself button spamming just to insure I continue my weapon's combo. (I would make a gif about this but I don't know how to accurately represent my input timing on an attack.)

Swing changes & Attack Manipulation
This is a really large one for me because everything seems to be out of proportion. I would like to mention that the change to the OH Curve as well as attacks starting further back over the shoulder was an incredible change and is one of my favorite changes about the update.

• Naturally due to the fact that that accels in slashes are less potent and players have more time to read them- combat feels slightly slower which is a minor down side and worthwhile sacrifice for the benefit it brings.
  • Potency in Overheads Versus a horizontal Slash. One of the massive strength of overheads were there large foot drags. With this change they actually feel slightly under powered. This is due to you still being able to do incredibly long off screen LMB drags. I am not saying that LMBs need a nerf by any means because if this is done you will not have any lethality in drags.
  • Lastly- Stabs. now I know they were slightly reworked with in this patch. But I do not think there is physically enough time between the end of the feint window and release to read a stab feint or morph reliably.
  • Here is a gif of me with me eyes closed trying to parry a stab at a moderate distance based off of sound alone. (I have a slightly above average reaction time at about 190/200 MS.) I ALSO HAVE 20 PING ON THIS SERVER Link: https://gfycat.com/DelectableCompleteHuemul
  • I did 20 stabs with LS 70% success rate. Zweihander actually lower success rate at 55%, and lastly Arming sword which has a 20% success rate. This is auditory only keep in mind. It would take incredible patience and refrain to do this consistently with visual queues as well.

Chambers
This will be my final point on this post.

So far I think that chambers are in a pretty decent spot. What slightly confuses me is the idea of the strength in early chambers. For those who do not know. Early chamber works in a way that if your chamber connects at the end of your chamber window (the last possible second) it will be faster and harder to react to. This is a great idea but there is a slight flaw to it. It is encouraging players to essentially gamble into their swing because to get the maximum effect of this new chamber mechanic. You need to start your chamber attempt quite early.

Unfortunately there is no sound in these but My attacks in these happened either in early release (First chamber) or before they even grunted (Second Chamber)

102 322
Conscript 1004 2022
Mercenary 1897 7067
Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 26 Aug '18
 ThunderDuck

whoops

Count 449 1186
  • 26 Aug '18
 Hadeus

@Vq.| Blink said:

• Here is a gif of me with me eyes closed trying to parry a stab at a moderate distance based off of sound alone. (I have a slightly above average reaction time at about 190/200 MS.) I ALSO HAVE 20 PING ON THIS SERVER Link: https://gfycat.com/DelectableCompleteHuemul
  • I did 20 stabs with LS 70% success rate. Zweihander actually lower success rate at 55%, and lastly Arming sword which has a 20% success rate. This is auditory only keep in mind. It would take incredible patience and refrain to do this consistently with visual queues as well.

The grunt is supposed to be an auditory indicator on when to parry. This is an issue tbh. Its hitting you before it goes into release (grunt).

102 322
  • 26 Aug '18
 chaquator

jokes aside i agree with the parry turncap being too tight

252 866
  • 26 Aug '18
 Cswic

Has video showing example of timing parry based off grunt only. Posts video as soundless gif. 200 IQ.

I have nothing to add since I haven't gotten to play yet, but I found that bit amusing.

Count 331 1394
  • 26 Aug '18
 RingMaster

Yea parry seems to be shorter, i've noticed drags just seem a lot better now so it might because of parry being shorter, but it could be a kinda placebo effect though.

Conscript 1004 2022
  • 27 Aug '18
 ohshitsorry

@ThunderDuck said:
s

Thank you.

Knight 253 546
  • 27 Aug '18
 Gauntlet

@Vq.| Blink said:
The Change to attack queuing

• This may be an issue with my old muscle memory to previous patches. But you cannot queue attacks in late release of a weapon anymore. Essentially any point AFTER the grunt you cannot queue an attack. I find myself often in engagements attacking and not combo-ing and losing some initiative.

• The rather large issue with this is the fact that you actually have to input another attack before you know if your previous attack was either parried, missed, or the attack connected. Which just feels super unintuitive. I find myself button spamming just to ensure I continue my weapon's combo. (I would make a gif about this but I don't know how to accurately represent my input timing on an attack.)

yeah this really bothers me as well. Feels like I'm spamming strike queues and it's really tiring to do. I'd like a revert on this change if possible.

Count 887 3301
  • 28 Aug '18
 EatAtRedLobster

Aside from the overly restrictive parry turn cap and 1H stab gambles it's a fantastic patch, and a huge step in the right direction. Nearly everything feels more balanced and the overall game feels much more refined.

8.5 claws out of 10

252 866
  • 28 Aug '18
 Cswic

Bit of feedback for archery. I think the tracers / vapor trail on arrows should be a bit more pronounced. With the exception of throwing knives most throwable models are pretty large and since you are engaging from a shorter distance it is easy to see where your shot went.

With arrows, especially on grey/white colored maps like contraband or mountain peak, it can be difficult to see where your shot landed if you miss.

A more noticeable tracer / trail would also make them easier for the person being shot at to see.

Knight 766 3329
  • 30 Aug '18
 Mittsies

@Cswic said:
it can be difficult to see where your shot landed if you miss.

At the very least I think your own tracer should be a lot more noticeable to yourself, for this very reason. Making it more visible for everyone is fine too, but in case they don't wanna mess with the balance too much they can just make personal tracers a lot more apparent.

1 4
  • 31 Aug '18
 Locklin

kind of liked some things in patch 16 more. people try to chamber, or is it just a gamble, morphs constantly because it works. Last patch you would use morphs to try to beat up on chambers and also drags. now half the time you do a morph and the guy tries to do some early chamber stuff and gets to hit you because the chamber window allows for ik.

this leads to just hectic spam feeling in a lot of fights rather than patch 16 which was bit more controlled. movement speed changes just buffed big weapons more when they were already strongest because reach matter more. too many people are doing the chivalry vanguard pub play with zweihandee or executioner sword where you run back a step then do a quarter turn basically swinging with your back mostly turned away from the enemy. with the old patch 16 movement you did not see much of this because the attack lunge would catch them. you can call it footwork or you can call it ballerina spinning style gameplay and youd be right. i don't think run away circle running is a good look for game too much like old chiv

ithat is how i feel so far anyway

95 102
  • 31 Aug '18
 TheShade

@chaquator said:
jokes aside i agree with the parry turncap being too tight

+1

There is also a turncap limit after a failed parry for like 1-2 seconds which should not be there.

1430 2175

I like new parry turn cap, means you have to commit to a block. Not run away then turn around to block when you hear the grunt.

You'd think this would've made side hits generally more likely but I feel like side hits have gotten harder to perform this patch when they were hard to begin with..? Someone walk me through why

Aside from that and shield issues I think this has been a great patch. Love the voice commands, archery seems mostly balanced, I love the perks system and the map changes. We now have a dark knight mod in the game how cool is that.

396 454
  • 1 Sep '18
 JasonBourne

Im experiencing alot of ghost swings, not only by me, but also the players I play against. Alot of times I swing trough them and they swing through me.

Duke 5558 13284
  • 3 Sep '18
 Jax — Community Manager

good points, I'm not going to touch on everything but I do want to talk about the parry changes

the idea was to make the parry good in 1v1 but defeatable, and at the same time make parry work in teamfights while also being defeateable. this means making it where you can get past it BUT it doesn't feel inconsistent - we did this by changing to a "box" for more consistency but the lower cap makes it possible to force bad parries on the attacking end

in team fights once you parry it loosens the cap and you can quickly readjust and do follow up parries, on a side note I think that double parry / parry-into-parry is one of the most useful and underutilized mechanics in the game

Knight 86 133
  • 3 Sep '18
 Raegarth

It may be input lags but sometimes when I’m in a 1v2 if the two players are synchronized my parries are always too late. Ofc I press the button at the good moment, but the parry seems to be offset, being active after the hit. It’s very frustrating. Did anything else than turncapbchanged regarding parry ?