Mordhau

Mordhau Lute Bot

Knight 558 1402

Introduction

Since I heard about the lute being added to Mordhau, I through that being able to play any music you want with the ingame instruments could be fun. So I made the Lute Bot, an application which will hopefully allow you to achieve your dreams of being a medieval bard !

What's the Lute Bot ?

The lute bot is a complete application allowing you to play virtually any midi (.mid) file you may find on the internet.
It has a variety of features to simplify its usage and adapt it to your needs.

First Look at the interface :

LuteBot interface.PNG

Each of the main features is on a separate window, allowing you to tailor the interface to what you need the most.

Main features

The music player

LuteBot Main window.PNG
The main window contain the music player. You can load and play a single midi file, access the settings and the keybinding menu.

The PlayList menu

LuteBot PlayList.PNG
The playList menu allows you to create, save and load playlists containing the musics of your choice.
If the playlist contains more than two elements, it will automatically play the tracks one after another.
Right clicking on a track allow you to play it or delete it from the playlist.
You can change the order of any track in the playlist by dragging and dropping it where you want.

The SoundBoard menu

LuteBot SoundBoard.PNG
The soudboard menu allows you to set up to 9 binds for specific songs. When you press the key while in game it will play the associated song. You may also save and load one or more soundboards.

The Track Selection menu

LuteBot Track Selection.PNG
The track selection menu is a vital feature of the Lute Bot. It allows you to "mute" instruments used in the midi file. You ideally want as few instruments as possible to play at the same time, but some songs requires more than one instrument to sound good. I recommend that you try with and without specific instruments until you figure out a good balance for each songs. Once you have it figured out, press Save Song Profile to save your modifications. If you activated the automated song profile loading, each song you play will load its associated profile if it exists, even when played while in game through the soundboard or playlist. You can also Select All instruments to fully play the song regardless of your parameters.

Configuring the Lute Bot

KeyBinding menu

KeyBinding.PNG
This menu will let you bind keys to perform a number of actions without the need to alt tab out of Mordhau.
Make sure you have set the same key for the console in the game and in the Lute Bot.

Settings menu

Settings.PNG
This menu will allow you to set certain options such as which windows you want to show on startup.
The sound effects option will let you chose if you want the musics to be also played by the windows default midi player (useful for tweaking which instruments should play for which file for instance).
If you chose to, the console will automatically open when a song start playing and close when it stops.

I would recommend not to touch the advanced parameters !. They are here just in case. If you change them by accident, you can refer to the above screenshot for the default values.

Downloading

Up-to-date version :

Mordhau Lute Bot V1.2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vMpKW9emJ_iUiT4azvT_SGCnTqmDZFcX/view?usp=sharing

Tutorial

Check out this great tutorial made by Miloš :

Additional Notes

Warning

Results may vary from a midi file to another.
If you want to test it properly, I recommend using this file which works great with no additional tweaking :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YOSkZiwfsnCljerankt6QQWAwwbn-LHC/view?usp=sharing

Troubleshooting

I will write here common issues and how to fix them.

The console close while I'm playing and the commands ends up being put in the chat

Mordhau's console can get overwhelmed by certain songs. Try the midi file which I linked above to test the bot first. You can also try one of these fixes :

-In the advanced parameters, you can try to raise the Note Cooldown. 25 Should fit most songs but i suggest to put it up to 30 if you encounter any issues. You can try to go higher until the problem does not appear anymore, but keep in mind that the higher the cooldown, the weirder the the music will sound.

-In the track selection menu you can try to mute some instruments to reduce the number of notes played. Typically you want to mute drums and other "background" instruments that tend to play a lot of notes without adding much to the actual music. That will reduce the number of notes played and thus avoid overwhelming the console.

The console does not open at all when I press play and the commands ends up being put in the chat

Check the keybind menu and make sure the key set to the console is the same as the one in game.

If you're still encountering issues with that, you can go in Option > Settings and turn off "Automatically Open/Close the console". Once done, make sure you manually open the console, then press the play hotkey (by default +) to play. Press the play hotkey again to pause then close then console manually.

3228 4147
  • 25 Aug
 Havoc

Best dev confirmed

98 612
  • 25 Aug
 Spook — UI

...I need to see this in action

Mercenary 868 1528

So how to load songs on the soundboard? It wants me to feed it XML files instead of midi.

Also the track filtering screen doesn't show up for me. If I alt+tab I can see it, but I can't actually open it.

Knight 558 1402

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
So how to load songs on the soundboard? It wants me to feed it XML files instead of midi.

You're trying to load a soundboard. Load individual songs by right clicking on each button.

3228 4147
  • 25 Aug
 Havoc

It crashes when trying to bind certain characters such as "*"

Mercenary 868 1528

@ÐMontyleGueux said:

@TheKingInTheNorth said:

You're trying to load a soundboard. Load individual songs by right clicking on each button.

Gotcha. Thanks. Do you know which notes are playable on the lute by any chance? Would help greatly to weed out songs that will likely work.

Knight 558 1402

@TheKingInTheNorth said:

@ÐMontyleGueux said:

@TheKingInTheNorth said:

Gotcha. Thanks. Do you know which notes are playable on the lute by any chance? Would help greatly to weed out songs that will likely work.

The notes are converted. So virtually any song works properly even though a few notes here and there might sound off.

Duke 5164 11170
  • 25 Aug
 Jax — Community Manager
Knight 117 213
  • 25 Aug
 wierHL

Who is this Lute God and where can I pray to them?

75 199
  • 25 Aug
 chaquator

can u release source code i beg you

Knight 494 727
  • 25 Aug
 Uncy

@ÐMontyleGueux said:

Introduction

Since I heard about the lute being added to Mordhau, I through that being able to play any music you want with the ingame instruments could be fun. So I made the Lute Bot, an application which will hopefully allow you to achieve your dreams of being a medieval bard !

What's the Lute Bot ?

The lute bot is a complete application allowing you to play virtually any midi (.mid) file you may find on the internet.
It has a variety of features to simplify its usage and adapt it to your needs.

First Look at the interface :

LuteBot interface.PNG

Each of the main features is on a separate window, allowing you to tailor the interface to what you need the most.

Main features

The music player

LuteBot Main window.PNG
The main window contain the music player. You can load and play a single midi file, access the settings and the keybinding menu.

The PlayList menu

LuteBot PlayList.PNG
The playList menu allows you to create, save and load playlists containing the musics of your choice.
If the playlist contains more than two elements, it will automatically play the tracks one after another.
Right clicking on a track allow you to play it or delete it from the playlist.
You can change the order of any track in the playlist by dragging and dropping it where you want.

The SoundBoard menu

LuteBot SoundBoard.PNG
The soudboard menu allows you to set up to 9 binds for specific songs. When you press the key while in game it will play the associated song. You may also save and load one or more soundboards.

The Track Selection menu

LuteBot Track Selection.PNG
The track selection menu is a vital feature of the Lute Bot. It allows you to "mute" instruments used in the midi file. You ideally want as few instruments as possible to play at the same time, but some songs requires more than one instrument to sound good. I recommend that you try with and without specific instruments until you figure out a good balance for each songs. Once you have it figured out, press Save Song Profile to save your modifications. If you activated the automated song profile loading, each song you play will load its associated profile if it exists, even when played while in game through the soundboard or playlist. You can also Select All instruments to fully play the song regardless of your parameters.

Configuring the Lute Bot

KeyBinding menu

KeyBinding.PNG
This menu will let you bind keys to perform a number of actions without the need to alt tab out of Mordhau.
Make sure you have set the same key for the console in the game and in the Lute Bot.

Settings menu

Settings.PNG
This menu will allow you to set certain options such as which windows you want to show on startup.
The sound effects option will let you chose if you want the musics to be also played by the windows default midi player (useful for tweaking which instruments should play for which file for instance).
If you chose to, the console will automatically open when a song start playing and close when it stops.

I would recommend not to touch the advanced parameters !. They are here just in case. If you change them by accident, you can refer to the above screenshot for the default values.

Downloading

Up-to-date version :

Mordhau Lute Bot V1.0 https://drive.google.com/file/d/17-OCyhYNcQH07cJpW9FM42ID6qpNzRkn/view?usp=sharing

Additional Notes

Warning

Results may vary from a midi file to another.
If you want to test it properly, I recommend using this file which works great with no additional tweaking :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z__-9BK7kLJQB_6LHmwpRLxbWrJxWNMz

instead of typing it console it opens the chat and writes there, do u have any fix for that pls?

Sellsword 9 19

can confirm, likes to open chat alot...and the join game menu, bound default to M...

Knight 558 1402

I've put a small troubleshooting section about that. Don't forget to try and play the midi I linked to make sure the issue is not from the song itself.

Sellsword 9 19

@ÐMontyleGueux said:
I've put a small troubleshooting section about that. Don't forget to try and play the midi I linked to make sure the issue is not from the song itself.

tried that, even your song plays the first note (usually having a + there cuz keybind) then i jump, the join game menu comes up, and chat opens, and it types in there...

oh and it goes into third person...

188 388

You absolute fucking mad man. You are a genius!!!

Knight 29 88
  • 26 Aug
 PeachPatrol

Set it to play the song, it plays a bit in the console, but exits the console on its own, even with the sample midi file

Count 18 23
  • 26 Aug
 Vondulun

I have the exact same issue as jason

Count 18 23
  • 26 Aug
 Vondulun

Pls fix it i wanna play despacito

Count 18 23
  • 26 Aug
 Vondulun

i think the issue is that it opens the menus and such