Mordhau

perk balance

Duchess 790 3483
  • 14 Aug '18
 Stouty

Isn't everyone now going to spawn unarmed and pick up a wep just so they can have more perks?

this wouldn't work on LTS of course but in every other mode i can see people doing this

Knight 292 904
  • 14 Aug '18
 GIRUGIRU

Stouty uhh.. I don't know if this is just a meme
or you've missed a key part of ur logical thinking when u thought this

Mercenary 1881 7040
  • 14 Aug '18
 ThunderDuck

@GIRUGIRU said:
Stouty uhh.. I don't know if this is just a meme
or you've missed a key part of ur logical thinking when u thought this

elaborate pls

is this not a valid point stouty made?

176 454
  • 14 Aug '18
 Koda

But if everyone did that, there's hardly gonna be any weapons to pick up

Mercenary 1881 7040
  • 14 Aug '18
 ThunderDuck

@Koda said:
But if everyone did that, there's hardly gonna be any weapons to pick up

How fucking hilarious would it be if that happened and everyone just stood there dumbfounded without weapons looking at one another, before proceeding to beat the shit out of each other

Duchess 790 3483
  • 14 Aug '18
 Stouty

obviously not every single person but clever people would do this. E.g. pro either spawns unarmed or a 1 point dagger to assassinate a noob with a 2hander and then boom max perks max armour with tier 1 wep

Knight 154 452
  • 14 Aug '18
 Nautilus

I don't think everyone would use this method, but I can see this being more viable on certain maps with plenty of smaller rooms or divisions. That way, players can run and find weapons more out of sight/reach from enemies.

Another thing to consider is how random weapon spawns are and the frequency of them. If weapon spawns are randomly-generated, than this "strategy" will be more risky. If weapon spawns are static, than I see this tactic being more common as people will memorize the weapon spawns and where to go for the best weapons. From what I've seen, Mordhau is in between these two, but it could vary from map to map. More weapon spawns make this tactic possible for more players.

I guess it also depends on how good the perks are, or if there will a be a limit on how many perks can be equipped. It sure sounds like a fun way to play though.

212 348

nobody lives long enough to keep the weapon for long, eventually it will be dropped and depsawn or someone else will pick it up. they would be incredibly lucky to benefit from this. or incredibly skilled, but then if they are that good, it would be more effective to just use regular weapons which they can keep.

Duchess 790 3483
  • 14 Aug '18
 Stouty

imo armour/perks should receive their own point system due to the ease of acquiring a top tier weapon. This would still limit archers from going full plate due to an archer perk. It would however allow a full plate men to spawn with a halberd but I don't think that's particularly broken

Knight 53 64
  • 14 Aug '18
 fmay2123

They could also coordinate like a knight and a squire where one spawns in with a bunch of armor and perks and another spawns in with tier one weapons to give to the knight.

273 444
  • 14 Aug '18
 YOLANDIVISSER

My Archer class probably isn't gonna have a weapon. Hell, after the bow and perk, I only have 3 points left.

Duke 5502 13139
  • 14 Aug '18
 Jax — Community Manager

so perks are meant to use the same points as armor weapons to make less heavily armored/armed classes more viable, and to make more defined/deeper playstyles - making a guy that can push through firepots and (not in yet) see better through smokes with a war axe and fire+smokes would be really good at taking chokepoints, for example.

we've discussed the potential issue of weapon pickups being problematic; not in terms of perks but for archers picking up zweihanders and stuff like that - and we've decided that it shouldn't be a massive issue, so for the initial release of this update we'll see how things play out. If it detracts from gameplay we'll look at a solution that isn't overly limiting.

Something I think might work if needed could be changing the yellow weapon outline to red when going to pick a weapon up that would make you have a loadout past 16 points - you'd still be able to pick the weapon up, but if you switch off that weapon you'd drop it.

Duke 986 1381
  • 14 Aug '18
 PadanFain

@Jax said:
Something I think might work if needed could be changing the yellow weapon outline to red when going to pick a weapon up that would make you have a loadout past 16 points - you'd still be able to pick the weapon up, but if you switch off that weapon you'd drop it.

That's a good idea

Duchess 790 3483
  • 14 Aug '18
 Stouty

I don't think an archer having a zwei is a huge issue seeing as presumably he would of had to enter the melee zone to obtain it but the max perk weapon looter is definitely oppressive as he'll be more buffed than every other player who spawns normally. This is definitely how I'll be playing and I can already hear the complaints on the forums from future players

Duke 5502 13139
  • 14 Aug '18
 Jax — Community Manager

@Stouty said:
enter the melee zone

sounds like a knockoff kenny loggins song lmao

but yeah we will see how things play out once #17 drops - it wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to add in restrictions, but we're waiting to see if/how much of a problem picking weapons up will be

Baron 1607 5105
  • 14 Aug '18
 Lincs

IMO I don't think it's that much of a problem. At best they'll pick up a big weapon and get some kills, at worst they'll be running around hunting for a better weapon desperately in their slow armor or with their bows at close range, and get killed with their back turned. It would be amusing if the devs left it in and it turned into a not-quite-viable-but-fun strategy like ubersaw chaining in TF2, give people a fun challenge to do in pub servers but it wouldn't really affect comp meta.

Mercenary 1881 7040
  • 14 Aug '18
 ThunderDuck

At the end of the day what counts anyway is a player's individual skill at the game, not their gear.

Baron 724 1305
  • 14 Aug '18
 NewYariMeta

@ThunderDuck said:
At the end of the day what counts anyway is a player's individual skill at the game, not their gear.

dgsfhfh.JPG

Knight 86 133
  • 15 Aug '18
 Raegarth

@ThunderDuck said:

And the winner of the meme award is...

Mercenary 1881 7040
  • 15 Aug '18
 ThunderDuck

Well, who is it? I'm dying in anticipation here!