Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Smokes

Mercenary 179 614
  • 3 Aug '18
 Stauxie

Smokes need to be addressed. They can be a very good tool in the game if they feel right when walking around them. Right now it feels awkward to be around because of the abnormally large "box" that surrounds the actual visuals. This is especially true for the vertical "box" as shown in these two gifs.

Smokes in CS:GO felt really good and is a good baseline for how smokes should look in MORDHAU.

Stairs - Grad: https://gfycat.com/GrayShorttermFritillarybutterfly

Grad: https://gfycat.com/PassionateSardonicDikkops

Just general smoke: https://gfycat.com/BeautifulAstonishingGuillemot

Edit: Here's a better description of what I'm talking about by Gauntlet

@Gauntlet said:
Definitely think the edges of the smoke should not trigger the blinding effect or the effect should be less severe. It's a melee game, fighting in smoke should be viable but chaotic. Right now it feels like pure chaos and the effect triggers too aggressively near the edge of the smoke.

Duke 986 1381
  • 3 Aug '18
 PadanFain

I think the proximity that smokes kick in is pretty close to perfect imo but the vertical smoke pot thing obvs need a fix

Knight 152 100
  • 4 Aug '18
 Lilboots

they need some transparency, i mean modern day smoke grenades in a closed room are easier to see through than mordhau smoke grenades XD

Knight 253 546
  • 4 Aug '18
 Gauntlet

Definitely think the edges of the smoke should not trigger the blinding effect or the effect should be less severe. It's a melee game, fighting in smoke should be viable but chaotic. Right now it feels like pure chaos and the effect triggers too aggressively near the edge of the smoke.

Mercenary 179 614
  • 4 Aug '18
 Stauxie

@Gauntlet said:

This is just an all around better description of what I'm talking about.

252 866
  • 4 Aug '18
 Cswic

To piggyback on this, firepots also could use an adjustment in relation to stairs and the "vertical box" in general. While not as extreme as the smoke example, you can throw a firepot on the floor of a tower in grad then still be burnt by it while standing on the staircase 4-5 feet above the fire.

Duke 986 1381
  • 4 Aug '18
 PadanFain

I personally love the chaos of fighting in smoke not seeing someone until they are right in your face is just fun have had lots of funny chaotic moments caused by smokes

Knight 152 100
  • 4 Aug '18
 Lilboots

@Gauntlet said:

Spot on, its either NOTHING, or HOLY SHIT I'M BLIND, no transition.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 5 Aug '18
 Huggles

A very very light smoke effect could be on the border of smoke and then once you are actually in the smoke you get it how it is atm.

But I agree it is absolutely ridic that the smoke effect is so intense in surrounding area where there is 0 smoke

And cswic I agree big time with those fire pots. Maybe if it splattered more on the walls and stuff and the flames were higher they would have their excuse without needing to overhaul the whole thing.

Knight 766 3329
  • 5 Aug '18
 Mittsies

The primary purpose of smokes should be to provide cover from archers, not blind people.

Knight 40 91
  • 6 Aug '18
 Vegust

Devs should also do something with fire hidden under grass textures. I fucking hate this shit in camp. Texture change for grass (like in Far Cry) or just more tall and explicit fire/smoke effects would be nice.

Mercenary 2551 4572
  • 8 Aug '18
 SIEGE

Just make smoke transparent or some shit

Duke 5558 13284
  • 14 Aug '18
 Jax — Community Manager

@Mittsies said:
The primary purpose of smokes should be to provide cover from archers, not blind people.

smokes should also be able to assist in pushing through chokepoints - a smoke pops and the defenders lose their situational awareness, they could end up facing one enemy or like seven

Conscript 192 478
  • 14 Aug '18
 Shovonem

@Jax said:
smokes should also be able to assist in pushing through chokepoints - a smoke pops and the defenders lose their situational awareness, they could end up facing one enemy or like seven

Indeed. Theatricality and deception are powerful agents.