Mordhau

Alt Alt Mode

Knight 55 82

i was watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdVYW9r2G3U&t=213s and got to thinking. start around 3:45 and watch him transition in and out of attacking and defending.
im not suggesting any type of extra stance changing mechanic implementation. all im saying is let us cycle through three modes instead of two. i know its been
discussed at least to some extent on the forums. i know its not a planned feature. but just for funisies rite?
3rd mode
Hal - Spear
Zwei - Pommel Throw
Estoc - Half Sword (That is rightfully Deserves)
Maul - ...?
Spear - ?? Throw Maybe ??
EXES - pommel throw
GS - Mordhau
LS - Pommel Throw
Messer - Pommel Throw?? Throw??
Pole Axe - Short Spear
Battle Axe - Short(er) Short Spear??
War Axe - ^^
Short Speaar - ??

im sure this would be a balancing nightmare... but would it really? the stats already exist for half of them *and by that i think i mean is the third mode would simply function as other weapons that already have the work done for them and are live in the game in the game except or at least openly planned like maul throw pommel throw. i mean shit on some of the aukward ones where it doesnt really seemlike an obvious answer exists, leave those as dual mode weapons and alter the cost maybe. i dont have delusions of having good insight into this.

tell me im not on to something tho? i acknowledge some of the animations may look funny with pointy parts of weapons now lodged firmly in thighs and balls maybe or whatever but our dude..cru..viscenya maybe? im half playing ignorant/half actually too fucking lazy to check which of our beloved devs is responsable for animations... what im getting it is i believe in the team quite a bit and i dont see it as beyond their range. not to mention what we paid for... i dont
think personally my experience as a sowrdsman or what have you will be as fleshed out and satisfying, lacking the ability to chose between semi plauseable techniques for the weapon im using on the fly and have a bit more variety than just two grips. pls devs (i sucked your dicks earlier
there intentionally, so as to not have this part be misleading of my tone and intention) dont take this as an insult. what youve made is fucking dope and im privileged to have access to it at this point cause it is a fucking gem. and unless something goes wildly wrong i see myself as being noting but satisfied when the final produsct is released. especially since modding will be a thing. i havent been active on the servers since patch 6 or 7 maybe...whenever kick stun got removed initially, for reasons i wont get into here and now, for the purpose of staying positive. but will take this oppertunity to remind everyone that our boys in 10 different countries are doing their goddamnedest. so lets be patient.

i realized a long time ago that the forums probably arent the place for me for a lot of reasons so im not going to promise ill be back so ill say this now, jax youre doing a great job handling these animals. i lurk the forums to make sure i leave likes on posts that are constructive for the well being of the game and its community, and obvs for posts that align themselves with what id like to see out of the game, so i think the team nailed it to the wall picking you for the chocolate factory tour. keep it up

sorry for potato chart. mods put this where ever it belongs if its misplaced sorry. just deep thoughts before JO and bed

Knight 55 82

sry not sorry for format also. like i said im probably not gunna be back. read or dont.

ok actual edit: i also acknowledge the pain in the ass it would more than likely be working it in binds wise as there is already a shortage.of available buttons. as well as the fact that you would need to decrease the mode change times, which to be honest may even potentially help fix a problem or two..? but i feel my point stands again the devs are clever, so i dont see it as unreasonable to the point of not being in peripheral conversation

thanx again

Knight 1673 1956
  • 20 Jun
 Void

Pommel throw is an emote they are adding, as a joke. It won't be actually useful.
I think two modes are enough for each weapon. It's easier to balance and each weapon is more unique.
Also there is another thread about this subject.

Knight 55 82

shame. it just seems like untapped potential. i know theres a lot going on already. i tried to frame my thing in the light of i dont expect this. i just think itd be dope. and like i said im not gunna be posting on here too much. probably not at all. so forgive my not using the search function or whatever.

btw pommel throw as an emote is kinda silly. more so than using the pole end of the pole axe as a pole. or having a thrid grip on a larger sword. id rather see PT it as a meme alt mode because weapons have three uses and have more to chose from on the fly with other weapons. i dunno man its just kinda too obvious if you ask me. and anyway im not here to argue. i all im saying, is how much balancing would it really be since the modes im suggesting already exist as properties for weapons that are already in game? itd be more extra work than id like to have thrown on my plate if i were them. like i get that part. all im saying is these weapons were versitile and i was bored and i think there should be thrid weapon modes.

Knight 224 461
  • 20 Jun
 Gauntlet

I don't think the issue is balancing, but rather gameplay diversity. If weapons had three modes to select from and a lot of them overlap with already existing modes for other weapons, you wind up with weapons not having an identity or playstyle that is unique to them. Pommel throw is intended to be a kind of joke thing, not a serious alt mode. Plus you can only throw the pommel that's on your sword. Not sure if you can collect pommels laying on the ground.

You do have a point about estoc alt mode deserving to be halfswording, but consider that estoc is already a stab based weapon and an alt mode that is stab based is rather redundant. The mordhau grip for estoc is to give it versatility so it's not just the weapon that only stabs.

Knight 55 82

I def hear you guys. I suppose i just see it defferent. Personally i see it as adding more character to each of the weapons were a third mode would potentially work. I need to get over the hump in my own head. Which is fine. Im not lobbying. Im not gunna get annoying about it if i haven't already crossed that threshold. The situation just leaves me wanting more. Like the entirety of those weapons were weapons. And if the capacity exists to see that translated in game then id love to see it.

But if its not in the cards its not in the cards. Im ok either way.

Knight 55 82

I realize how tone deaf i probably appear regarding this. And now im back tracking to try to make it a bit obvious that the point of all of this was just to say hey this might be easier than it looks from afar. I know its late in ths development cycle for last minute curveballs like what ive brought attention to. Which is why im trying to make sure that my tone is blatant. "Wouldnt it be cool" is all i was actually going for. And anyway maybe somebody will make a mod for this or itll be a feature inan overhaul mod or something

Knight 473 689
  • 20 Jun
 VampireDuck

@Ignorance Brigade said:
im sure this would be a balancing nightmare... but would it really?

Thinking illuminati.png

Knight 55 82

^yea i know i know. Communicating my throught process isnt one of my strong points in general. Let alone on the internet. Its one of the bigger reasons i stay off of message boards and forums as a rule of thumb.

With that statement i was trying to acknowledge the general already standing consensus from the community regarding reasons why it wasnt pushed for when it had been discussed alteady earlier. Because i did realize when making the post that it had been brought up already. But i was high enough to reach out and let other people know i had some thoughts on it. And those tboughts i believe are still viable. i still think its a good idea . but if thats not what everybodys feeling for whatever reasons than cool. At least i broke the seal and put my two cents on rrgarding something.

Conscript 4124 4999
  • 20 Jun
 vanguard

@Ignorance Brigade said:
At least i broke the seal and put my two cents on rrgarding something.

People say that games get better when devs hear the community, but the community must speak up it's mind to the devs for this to work.

You do good by posting ideas tbh, even if in a first moment they sound not viable for some reason or another, it's important to have as many ideas around as possible imho, for when the devs feels the need to hear us, they have where to look up and find our views.

You are only contributing to the community and game by posting ideas and generating discussions about the game imho.

Knight 55 82

@ vanguard i appreciate that man. thank you. While im at it thank you as well void and gauntlet for the responses and vampyreduck for the meme. Ive secretly wanted to be immortalized in meme form for a while

Baron 1396 1825

Personally wish they would make it so more weapons could be 1/2 handed

Knight 55 82

I wish for quite a few things regarding the game. I think my biggest wish however was that i found whatever motivated me to post the other night a long time ago. Everything i said about the forums and such remains true obvs but now that ive just said fuck it ill try to communicate with people who are as/moreso interested in the game as i am its kinda all i wanna talk about. Real life friends arent too interesres in games or medieval stuff in general and my two dudes that went in on the alpha three pack w me arent feeling any of it until theres more content. They humor me here and there but overall i kinda just keep to myself about it.

But yea more 1/2 hand options would be sweet.

Baron 1396 1825

@Ignorance Brigade said:
I wish for quite a few things regarding the game. I think my biggest wish however was that i found whatever motivated me to post the other night a long time ago. Everything i said about the forums and such remains true obvs but now that ive just said fuck it ill try to communicate with people who are as/moreso interested in the game as i am its kinda all i wanna talk about. Real life friends arent too interesres in games or medieval stuff in general and my two dudes that went in on the alpha three pack w me arent feeling any of it until theres more content. They humor me here and there but overall i kinda just keep to myself about it.

But yea more 1/2 hand options would be sweet.

The big problems I see standing in the way of this game becoming the masterpiece it has the potential to be is time/money. Yet there are a lot of us who are as passionate about the project as the developers themselves, and would be willing to pitch in more money if it would give them the ability to improve the FUNdamentals of the game. Maybe another kickstarter would help.

Knight 55 82

Hmmm. Calll this inexperience i but i don't see anything major really holding it back. As much as id love to see 3 weapon modes be a thing, if thats all i personally have to "complain" about actual gameplay wise im doing ok and i think the game is too. Granted im only talking locally. Obvs things will be changed up for me going from fighting bots and learning to deal with actual players. And who knows maybe im hindsight ill wish i had been talkative to push for things for a whole new set of reasons. But yea. Things like chamber windows and the bubble and release times and all that i dont have too much of a grounded opinion on cause local play doesnt represent how the game actually feels online.

The things i wish would happen (minus the three mode thing) are things that will land where they land and i know ill get used to them and itll just be fine. Either immediately or longer term as i adjust. The state of things like kick release being quicker and balanced by a pommel/shield bash hopefully, more maille options for customization, short gambeson skirts on T2 torso shorter chainmaill skirts (as an iption not replacer), some way to get the map pick-up wrapons for my pesant loadouts; be it perk or what have you..I could go on. But most of these things are implied heavily that they will be implemented so i guess thats my point.

I see the masterpiece as being kinda unavoidable tbqh. But if the weird situation arose where they felt they needed to add more funding somehow id A happily recontribute ( cause contrary to what my non presence in the servers and forums would imply, this is the game im the most worked up about by far) and B id more than likely be pleased with whatever wound up happening even if it invilved waiting longer for the polished product

But again all this is from the perspective of someone who lets their anxiety about unreleated stuff prevent them from being an active part of the community, hence negating whatever insightful value i think my angles have. But srsly it feels good jist to finally use words about it and have sonebody listen. Agree ot not

Knight 295 880
  • 21 Jul
 Mittsies

The current alt modes already feel redundant in most cases.

Knight 55 82

yea i hear ya. i think im just more attached to the idea of being able to use the weapons to the extent of their versalitity irl. i get it wont be a thing

Baron 1396 1825

@Mittsies said:
The current alt modes already feel redundant in most cases.

That's why delaying another year, starting a new kickstarter, and making it so you can switch modes mid-combo is such a fucking great idea!