Mordhau

Fists Thumb Placement

Knight 758 1586

One thing that I've noticed since the first devblog or so, is that in Mordhau, with Fists equipped, your thumbs are placed to the sides of your fingers 20180618110023_1.jpg This is an improper technique that leads to your thumbs being broken when punching things (Especially solid steel Armor ;) ). The proper way that Fighters and Martial artists hold their fists is like so: This way the thumb isn't broken when the fist hits something. The Fingers also don't seem to be clenched tight enough in Mordhau, which should also be changed along with the Thumbs. It's a small thing, but it would be really nice if the devs changed it to the proper way.Fist.jpg

hand-with-fist

Knight 495 1163
  • 18 Jun
 Pred

True, looks a little silly.

Mercenary 1353 4687
  • 18 Jun
 ThunderDuck

yes and also that's such a stupid looking guard triternion please change it to an orthodox boxing stance or something, anything other than the current one

Knight 495 1163
  • 18 Jun
 Pred

Also this + the animation makes hooks look like bitchslaps with a closed palm or something.

Knight 196 456
  • 18 Jun
 Mittsies

They've already said the fists are a placeholder animation, more than once I believe, and that there is a huge animation update in the works that is going to overhaul basically every character animation.

Source #1: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/11198/

Source #2: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/12803/

Sellsword 4340 4918

@ThunderDuck said:
yes and also that's such a stupid looking guard triternion please change it to an orthodox boxing stance or something, anything other than the current one

I don't want the barefist boxing style guard to go away, i think it is very fitting, but unarmed animations and stuff definately need work. As Mittsies said, they have said many times already that these animations are old as fuck and will be replaced eventually.

2062 3795
  • 19 Jun
 Maci

@Humble Staff said:

@ThunderDuck said:

I don't want the barefist boxing style guard to go away, i think it is very fitting, but unarmed animations and stuff definately need work. As Mittsies said, they have said many times already that these animations are old as fuck and will be replaced eventually.

They also said we'd get good melee combat eventually

Conscript 30 81
  • 27 Jun
 Shovonem

I had some martial arts experience in the past and I totally agree with the thumb placement. It's brilliant that someone talked about it.
However, clenching your fist really tight when guarding is wrong. Because clenching make your hand muscles tight and your punch become slower and less effective. The key to punching properly to clench your fist very late right before you hit someone because that way you are landing a hard punch with clenched fist but at the same time you have the momentum of a free hand (fast punch)
Also You might want to clench your muscles when blocking an attack but clenching all the time will just make you slow and tired(waste of energy). Although proper blocking technique is more about ridirecting attacks on a different direction reducing the impact instead of just going hard against the force.
Don't know if you know this but in boxing even though it looks like boxers keep their fist really clenched but it looks that way because of gloves. actually their arms are quite relaxed. Even then they get tired and often drop their guards. You get the idea.

Mercenary 1353 4687
  • 27 Jun
 ThunderDuck

@Shovonem said:
I had some martial arts experience in the past

katana edgelord.png
Yeah all that's true and all but there's no need to overdo it. The game doesn't have to try and perfectly mimic real boxing with it's punching animations, I'd be happy if they just made the unarmed stance more realistic-looking.

Sellsword 4340 4918

I'm telling you, these stances are realistic, for a past era of pugilism. In fact, if you want to talk about realism, these stances were from a time were grappling, kicking and the use of all the body was fair was game, also punches were mostly done in straight lines. Modern boxing stances are used in a set up where people use gloves with hefty padding, doesn't grapple and doesn't kick, the focus is in punching and techniques that get the most out of punching and defending against it where in a more complete set up some would be detrimental.
There was a time were pugilism matches had basically no rules, these were agreed upon at the fight itself and they still were vey loose and thus fights would have been beyond dirty in modern boxing eyes. Mordhau is set up in the fucking medieval period, watching someone standing in a standard boxing position would be inmersion breaking instead of people in these stances tbh.

bare-knuckle-boxeo-en-el-siglo-xix-aka-bare-knuckle-prizefighting-o-fisticuffs-era-la-forma-original-de-boxeo-d2h7nm.jpg
Boxing-History-Bareknuckle.jpg
pg-37-bill-richmond-1.jpg

TLDR: Unarmed stances and techniques weren't always as they are today, they evolve over time as everything and adapt to the context of their time. These old stances are good for Mordhau.

Conscript 30 81
  • 27 Jun
 Shovonem

@Humble Staff

Totally agreed.

Mercenary 1353 4687
  • 27 Jun
 ThunderDuck

@Humble Staff
Right, but there's no grappling in Mordhau, only punching and kicking. I don't own medieval gauntlets but I'll assume they're protective enough to allow for some devastating hooks and uppercuts to be thrown with reckless abandon without the risk of injuring your fist.

But fine, I'll admit I'm not all that informed when it comes to classic pugilism. I don't understand how such a stance could be effective in any way but all the imagery portraying it probably confirms that it indeed was. If they keep the stance, fine, but I'd love for the punching animations to look and feel more explosive and powerful.

Sellsword 4340 4918

Indeed, i also want better animations, they will come in time. I also somewhat wish for some perk that gives unarmed fighting a little edge, nothing crazy like being able to parry weapons or shit like that.

Mercenary 1353 4687
  • 27 Jun
 ThunderDuck

@Humble Staff said:
Indeed, i also want better animations, they will come in time. I also somewhat wish for some perk that gives unarmed fighting a little edge, nothing crazy like being able to parry weapons or shit like that.

I was thinking being able to chamber weapons when fighting unarmed would be cool. Like, realistically you should be able to defend against weapons by grabbing the attacker's arms and such, but it needs to be extremely hard to pull off. I don't know how that would work visually in the game though, but it would be cool..

Knight 758 1586
  • 27 Jun
 Ulkenstride

@Shovonem said:
I had some martial arts experience in the past and I totally agree with the thumb placement. It's brilliant that someone talked about it.
However, clenching your fist really tight when guarding is wrong. Because clenching make your hand muscles tight and your punch become slower and less effective. The key to punching properly to clench your fist very late right before you hit someone because that way you are landing a hard punch with clenched fist but at the same time you have the momentum of a free hand (fast punch)
Also You might want to clench your muscles when blocking an attack but clenching all the time will just make you slow and tired(waste of energy). Although proper blocking technique is more about ridirecting attacks on a different direction reducing the impact instead of just going hard against the force.
Don't know if you know this but in boxing even though it looks like boxers keep their fist really clenched but it looks that way because of gloves. actually their arms are quite relaxed. Even then they get tired and often drop their guards. You get the idea.

Good point. But the current finger positioning is too lose and if you moved the thumb over them it would look like this: 20180627_094444.jpg which is improper, it should look like this: 20180627_094508.jpg

Knight 758 1586

Idk why it flipped those images, sorry

Sellsword 4340 4918

@Ulkenstride said:
20180627_094508.jpg

Ah, the universal fappist gesture, i salute you comrade

fap salute.jpg

Knight 758 1586
  • 28 Jun
 Ulkenstride

@Humble Staff said:

@Ulkenstride said: