Mordhau

Kick stun only vs shield tbh

Knight 614 1111
  • 4 Jun '18
 Uncy

Chivarly did one thing right - kick stuns.

Kick in Mordhau should stun only if you will block it with shield

1090 1722

Defeats the purpose of a shield and kick stun was not done right in Chivalry... It's not even an intuitive mechanic.

It only worked on noobs who did not yet understand timing and pulled out a shield for just that reason. It wasn't going to work on a player who knew what he was doing and often times people trying to stun kick would stam out considering all the crazy shit they'd try to do to scare you. Feint to kick, jump to kick, face hug to kick or any of those combinations do not work against anyone who is not a noob. Kick stun just made it easier to kill noobs who were simply desperate to find a way to not die in .02 seconds.

You can argue that Shield parry box needs to be smaller, you can argue that one handers need to be nerfed and you can argue that shields need more stamina cost but kick stun was never an intuitive or even a good mechanic and it certainly wasn't done right. Intuitively a shield in the way should make you immune to any person's foot anyways.

In Mordhau the pros would just bait your kicks and punish it anyways and they'll be just as annoying to you and they would ironically have stamina advantage if they're good at it. Meanwhile the noobs who were gonna die anyways now get even less play time before getting raped. Kick stun is really just a shield 1vX nerf since that is the only time you can reliably stun kick an experienced shield user.

Knight 762 3296
  • 4 Jun '18
 Mittsies

@Uncy said:
Chivarly did one thing right - kick stuns.

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
It only worked on noobs

👌

Knight 925 2541
  • 4 Jun '18
 Pred

Yeah, good post Lionheart.

Kick countering shields in Chiv was a bigger meme than looking at the tip of the weapon to parry.

Baron 1551 2083

I found it worked pretty well to punish lazy shield users. How is it a bad idea to punish nubs for raising their shield every time they see anyone "animate" anything?
I was a nub and was punished thousands of times by kickstuns, then I got good, and the likes of you nubs could never get it to work on me, but it still eliminated the problem of me just raising my shield every time my enemy "animates", and forced me to be more weary of what I was doing with it. And the odd occasion, when fighting someone of equal or greater skill, they could still get me with a kick, through scaring me enough, or by me making a mistake in positioning. Or sometimes I would be so sure they would kick, that I wouldn't raise my shield, and eat a hit just for that. It forces you to actually watch what your opponent is doing, instead of mindlessly backpedaling with your shield constantly raised.

In Chiv when you run and jump at your shielded enemy, it forced them to think, and pay attention, and gave you options and opportunity for them to make a mistake. They can't just hold RMB and be safe. which is better gameplay, period.

Just saying "it only works against nubs" is an extreme oversimplification, and the mechanic deserves more thought than that.

396 453
  • 4 Jun '18
 JasonBourne

kick shouldn't stun anyone

Baron 1551 2083
  • 4 Jun '18
 yourcrippledson

People say kick stun on every kick is too powerful.

Then say it is too hard to get the stun on shield users.

So which is it? Stun should be used to punish predictability, stupidity, and bad plays shouldn't it? So why are you guys arguing against this? If you got kicked and stunned in chiv it was totally your own fault. Uncy is right, there was nothing wrong with it.

1090 1722

Have you seen me fight in Mordhau? I'm not that good and die humiliating deaths alot.

But you'll NEVER stun kick me in Chivalry without latency combined with sow/norse or claymore cheese. You prolly still wouldn't actually.

Who cares if a shield user turtles in this game, he's at a stamina disadvantage, he's using a small 1h and the shield is pretty easy to get around unlike in Chivalry. I find most complaints about Mordhau's shields pathetic. A scared turtling shield user (what people seem to complain about the most) is the most vulnerable person in the game since he cannot attack, chamber, counter kick or even move at full speed. Just chop his fucking legs off.

Baron 1551 2083

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
Have you seen me fight in Mordhau? I'm not that good and die humiliating deaths alot.

But you'll NEVER stun kick me in Chivalry without latency combined with sow/norse or claymore cheese. You prolly still wouldn't actually.

Who cares if a shield user turtles in this game, he's at a stamina disadvantage, he's using a small 1h and the shield is pretty easy to get around unlike in Chivalry. I find most complaints about Mordhau's shields pathetic.

Shield stun separates shitty shield users who only use it as a crutch because they panic so much form good shield users. Having to think about what you are blocking and if you should do so is an extra layer of gameplay which I enjoy being on either side of. I find it more interesting than "RMB when enemy animates" being all you have to think about. Lack of stun-kick makes shield combat feel more 1-dimensional.

A scared turtling shield user (what people seem to complain about the most) is the most vulnerable person in the game since he cannot attack, chamber, counter kick or even move at full speed. Just chop his fucking legs off.

In team games, these situations lead to scared turtles running back to their team when they panicked at everything you did and deserved to die. There should be a way to punish panic blocking on shield users.

And I don't know who all of you guys think you are fooling by saying "I never get fooled by stun kick in Chiv." As if any of you have the ability to decipher between Norse sword facehug riposte/feint jumps and kicks with 100% consistency. Good luck determining if my Light Flail shield bash is actually a heavy-stun-bash after you just ate 4 of them in a row...

305 836
  • 5 Jun '18
 SK.Edam

you should know that you can't please everyone in this world and it would be a miracle if they can do it.

Knight 17 8
  • 6 Jun '18
 artyom

@Uncy said:
Chivarly did one thing rig-

no

Duke 5483 13094
  • 6 Jun '18
 Jax — Community Manager

ideally we'd like to have two separate kicks, a sort bash/pommel strike that you can move around with that doesn't stun, and a locked-in-place heavy kick that you can stun people with

The thing is right now kick is kind of in an awkward spot between use to punish predictability and being able to punish facehuggers, IMO we need something to deal with both of these situations and the best way to do that would be two separate tools as described above. Right now the kick is kind of filling both roles okay-ish and I wouldn't say it's the ideal way to deal with either facehugging or predictability.

I'm not sure if we will be able to get a light kick/stun mechanic implemented before release, however, if we don't I think it's fair to say kick may get tweaked some more.

Knight 17 8
  • 7 Jun '18
 artyom

@Jax said:
ideally we'd like to have two separate kicks, a sort bash/pommel strike that you can move around with that doesn't stun, and a locked-in-place heavy kick that you can stun people with

The thing is right now kick is kind of in an awkward spot between use to punish predictability and being able to punish facehuggers, IMO we need something to deal with both of these situations and the best way to do that would be two separate tools as described above. Right now the kick is kind of filling both roles okay-ish and I wouldn't say it's the ideal way to deal with either facehugging or predictability.

I'm not sure if we will be able to get a light kick/stun mechanic implemented before release, however, if we don't I think it's fair to say kick may get tweaked some more.

very good very nice jax good