Mordhau

Chamber rework

Knight 222 187
  • 19 May '18
 REKTKWONDO

I had an idea to rework that shit

Successful chamber instantly stop the windup animation and act as a parry So we can riposte wherever we want

Thanks, goodbye

PS : Game is deep shit now

Knight 86 133
  • 20 May '18
 Raegarth
  • add a real distinction between parry sound and chamber sound because they’re the same (One is just slightly more acute but both have the same sound « pattern »)
Knight 685 1851
  • 21 May '18
 ÐMontyleGueux

@Raegarth said:

• add a real distinction between parry sound and chamber sound because they’re the same (One is just slightly more acute but both have the same sound « pattern »)

I've already suggested that they should make the sparks and grinding noise happen more often. The problem is, it plays when both swords physically touches during a clash/chamber, which mostly happen when chambering stabs and not others.

Knight 86 133
  • 1 Jun '18
 Raegarth

I'm sad to see that's there's no more discussion between players or a dev feeding back about what I think is the coolest mechanic of Mordhau : Chamber.

May you @Jax or anybody else tells us more about what is to come for chambering ?

I miss the old days when players that chamber a lot were the strongest out there.

Duke 5477 13080
  • 1 Jun '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Chamber heavy meta sucks, in duels it drags out fights for way too long, and in teamfights in makes things a mess. We're relatively happy with the current effectiveness/difficulty of them at the moment, but we'll have to see how they play out once we change the attack arcs. As for chambers getting teamfighting utility, we're still thinking of ways to make them have some use without reverting to AP.

Knight 86 133
  • 1 Jun '18
 Raegarth

I agree with you it makes fights maybe a bit too long.

Though with drags/accels my feel is that atm it’s not too hard to do but too risky.

I know we should not only rely on chamber and that chamber don’t replace parry.

Though players that only parry (I dont count stab chambers as real chambering) are absolutely not worse than people that mix chamber/parry... I would even say they’re often better.

The only real advantage is that I don’t fall in feints.

Good players now read chamber feint (in duel at least) even chamber morph feints.

Sometimes you’re in a chambering session and your opponent parries. Parry and chamber sounds are so similar that if one or the other parry and riposte with an opposite attack it’s a nightmare.

Well imo and other chambering players will confirm or not but there are more drawbacks than advantages in chambering that parrying.

Thanks for ur answer.

Baron 1551 2083

Maybe chamber feint should cost 0 stam or some shit

not stab chambers though..

1308 2875
  • 1 Jun '18
 Monsteri

@Raegarth said:
Though players that only parry (I dont count stab chambers as real chambering) are absolutely not worse than people that mix chamber/parry... I would even say they’re often better.

If you're dueling someone who only parries, landing a few chambers will always win you the stamina game.

Knight 86 133
  • 1 Jun '18
 Raegarth

@Monsteri said:

@Raegarth said:

If you're dueling someone who only parries, landing a few chambers will always win you the stamina game.

Except that for every parry my opponent land a hit from anywhere. If i chamber his hit and if my opponent isn’t autist he can only expect the same hit or a chamber morph to stab (as I said most of pro players know don’t fall in chamber feint or chamber morph to feint).

Plus you don’t win the stamina battle if you lose the health battle ^^

Knight 222 187
  • 3 Jun '18
 REKTKWONDO

@Monsteri said:

@Raegarth said:

No, cause the Chamber riposte is easy to chamber, so you dont win any stamina over your opponent

Drag should be harder to do

Chamber should have directional ripost as same as Normal riposte, so people cant just predict then gamble

Knight 3134 7292
  • 3 Jun '18
 Punzybobo

why not make chambers way harder to do but way more rewarding with fast attax?

Knight 86 133
  • 3 Jun '18
 Raegarth

@Punzybobo said:

Making chamber harder or easier to input isn’t the point. chambering difficulty by now is that how it is risky and how it is not rewarding.

It’s like jumping over a 1 meter long rift. We all can jump over it but why would we If there is a safe bridge to cross it ?

Knight 925 2540
  • 3 Jun '18
 Pred

^ this

I bought a new mouse with 6 thumb buttons and I've been chambering a ton lately trying to re-work my muscle memory for like 7th time in this game and all it does for me is eat more hits and die more often than when I used to only chamber stabs and horizontal slashes from my right. I can chamber many of the most retarded stab drags and even some of the barely readable maybe-OH-accel or maybe-OH-footdrags but unless you are trying to chamber them for the small satisfaction "yay, I chambered this!" there is no point in doing them because for all the risk and hits you eat in trying, there is no reward. You can feint and morph and morph feint and contort your body with zero risk or take a massive risk on getting hit to chamber and do the same things.

Knight 222 187
  • 3 Jun '18
 REKTKWONDO

@Punzybobo said:

Faster attack dont change anything, the riposte will still be predictable

Knight 86 133
  • 3 Jun '18
 Raegarth

@REKTKWONDO said:

@Punzybobo said:

Faster attack dont change anything, the riposte will still be predictable

Plus more instant hits don’t think that’s a good idea

396 453
  • 4 Jun '18
 JasonBourne

dfgejfvjmgyyt

Knight 761 3289
  • 4 Jun '18
 Mittsies

Would it be possible to make chambers ramp up in difficulty the longer the fight goes on?

The biggest conceptual issue with chambering (at least IMO) is that it will always either be too risky and difficult to perform (compared to the reward), or it'll be too easy and consistent which will slow fights down to a crawl and make the game boring. Since it's likely to be balanced around the highest tier of play, intermediate or worse players will rarely bother trying to chamber as the reward will always be negligible (a "free" parry, except not really because DCFs cost stamina) compared to the risk.

If there was some way to have chambers become more difficult during a fight, it would solve the problem completely. The most skilled players would be able to chamber more times than anyone else, as is already the case, except that it would not just drag the fights out as it puts a soft cap on how many chambers can actually happen in a fight. On the flipside you'd see inexperienced players attempting more chambers since the first few would not only be easier, they'd be absolutely essential. If you don't get in those first few "easy chambers" every fight, then you're going to be at a significant stamina advantage.

This is of course incredibly hypothetical as I have no idea where you'd even begin to implement such an idea, nor how it would work outside of dueling, but if implemented carefully it could be the solution to chambering. One possibility would be that every time you chamber, the window decreases slightly, and resetting whenever you regenerate HP. It could restore some (but not all) of this window if you land an attack or chamber a different opponent to make it better in 1vX. Alternatively chambers could cost an increasing amount of stamina, rather than change the timing window.

Again, I understand this is an incredibly bizarre idea and I'm only really mentioning it as food for thought, not a direct suggestion or solution to chambering.

Mercenary 178 613
  • 4 Jun '18
 Stauxie

The thing about chambers late into the fight is if you run low on stamina or health, your opponent knows that and will go for even more difficult to chamber drags. This will either force you to parry and lose a weapon, or attempt to chamber drags which are heavily advised against, so it already becomes more "difficult" near the end of a fight.

Having the timing decrease slightly after each chamber would not feel very good as there is no real indicator to tell you what the timing is and if you chamber something slightly off of the normal chamber timing it would feel even worse. This is pretty much just adding inconsistency in my eyes.

The whole point of chambers is that it is riskier than a chamber but you start an attack right away and lose no stamina, so having it cost more stamina would go against its purpose.

Also, the highest level of players don't even chamber as much as they used too. Chambering has been nerfed enough to where high-level players will more often parry an attack out of threat of drags.

Knight 761 3289
  • 5 Jun '18
 Mittsies

@Stauxie said:
Also, the highest level of players don't even chamber as much as they used too. Chambering has been nerfed enough to where high-level players will more often parry an attack out of threat of drags.

So does that mean chambering should be buffed? Again this is precisely the point I was trying to make, that chambering in its current conceptual state will always be either too good or not good enough.

Knight 222 187
  • 6 Jun '18
 REKTKWONDO

Well defensive chamber\timing is fine, but the riposte is bad since the Alpha Release.