Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Scripts

Knight 337 778
  • 19 May '18
 AngelEyes

What is the stance on scripting/Macroing in Mordhau? I used search and didn't really find much.

I'm curious to how much an advantage people think it actually gives and if it is even possible to restrict 3rd party programs such as AHK let alone software that is widespread among gamers everywhere. In many games I believe this is considered cheating no?

Will it, can it or even need to it be prohibited? Or is it don't ask don't tell? Has there been an official statement on this?

@Jax

Duke 5558 13284
  • 19 May '18
 Jax — Community Manager

We still need to see what happens, but at least to me it seems that there aren't really any macros that could actually help you out. Even when it comes to actual cheating, the only things that would actually do anything are speedhacks, stam/health cheats or damage cheats, which all of that stuff is pretty much handled by the server currently. Scripts like autoblocking or whatever wouldn't actually help too much, I could just force a player to block, intentionally miss and follow up with a combo kick or something. Aimbots are kinda useless with sway (especially if we have multiple sway patterns randomly selected), wallhacks are of limited utility, etc.

We have to see what people end up trying to abuse, and of course our stance would be something along the lines of "don't try to cheat, just play the game" but I'm not sure it will be an issue.

Knight 337 778
  • 19 May '18
 AngelEyes

Thanks.

I personally see it being an advantage being able to bind a string of feints and or morphs or both together on a single keystroke without having to compromise any footwork, as well as being able to time it down to the very last .0001 MS. I suppose people can still retain footwork legitimately having multiple binds on their mouse, just without using a single button and having frame perfect inputs all the time.

I understand it's tricky business and that we are still in early testing. I gather there is not even a ToS in place yet.

An unfair advantage to some is legitimate use to others like the use of Re-shade in shooters and it's quite controversial. As far as scripting is concerned I just don't want to see drama like what happened with Sacriel in the EFT community (Using scripts blatantly live on twitch to buy items from Fence) and the rules being very bleak, or not so bleak but only bleak when it's convenient or downright contradictory to ToS. At least it's cleared up, for now.

Knight 941 2569
  • 19 May '18
 Pred

I would script some extreme mouse spazzing after every parry I guess.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 19 May '18
 yourcrippledson

@AngelEyes said:
Thanks.

I personally see it being an advantage being able to bind a string of feints and or morphs or both together on a single keystroke without having to compromise any footwork, as well as being able to time it down to the very last .0001 MS. I suppose people can still retain footwork legitimately having multiple binds on their mouse, just without using a single button and having frame perfect inputs all the time.

This sort of thing might help nubs defeat other nubs at low level. But it wouldn't work against experienced players, specifically if it was the exact same down to the 0.0001 MS every time, because variation is the key to taking control of the momentum of the fight. Doing the same thing is the definition of predictability, and whoever does this can use it to kill a sad nub, but they will be sad themselves when they don't learn shit about how to actually play properly.

An unfair advantage to some is legitimate use to others

This part is tricky. I just want to feel comfortable in my skull, so I want more FoV options, it isn't even necessarily to "gain an advantage" but other players might say they don't want me to have this option because it puts them at a disadvantage because they like a smaller FoV.
Meanwhile if you follow this logic, why are they including 3rd person in a 1st person focussed game? Yet at the same time restrict my 1st person FoV?

FoV above 130 makes archery harder, throwing things harder, seeing shit in the distance harder. 3rd person does none of these with an equivalent FoV of like 180.

Silly things

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 19 May '18
 Sir Zombie

Some people are using a macro that spams E so they can never lose their shield

Knight 337 778
  • 19 May '18
 AngelEyes

@yourcrippledson said:

This sort of thing might help nubs defeat other nubs at low level. But it wouldn't work against experienced players, specifically if it was the exact same down to the 0.0001 MS every time, because variation is the key to taking control of the momentum of the fight. Doing the same thing is the definition of predictability, and whoever does this can use it to kill a sad nub, but they will be sad themselves when they don't learn shit about how to actually play properly.

Right, I mean that's not how I would do it. I am gonna fiddle with it myself, I have your old standard razer naga but just one button to perform a stream of whatever I want really. I didn't really envision in my head anyone using a macro to literally do the same thing every time. You got all your standard in game key binds set up, then just a quick "Easy" button for every now and then.

I don't feel extremely strongly about any of this. At least not yet, I was just surfacing the subject.

Knight 222 187
  • 1
  • 19 May '18
 REKTKWONDO

@Sir Zombie said:
Some people are using a macro that spams E so they can never lose their shield

False, you can do it without a macro, I do. So.

And it work with 2hander or 1hander too
Remember, Dev do it in a video before the release

3rd : Its a macro, not a script, nothing is wrong as long as you dont use an extern program. People use macro to auto fire in FPS too so
Macro like this aren't allowed in competitiv LAN tournament; But There'll never be with Mordhau so dont worry boii

Knight 615 1118
  • 20 May '18
 Uncy

@Jax said:
We still need to see what happens, but at least to me it seems that there aren't really any macros that could actually help you out. Even when it comes to actual cheating, the only things that would actually do anything are speedhacks, stam/health cheats or damage cheats, which all of that stuff is pretty much handled by the server currently. Scripts like autoblocking or whatever wouldn't actually help too much, I could just force a player to block, intentionally miss and follow up with a combo kick or something. Aimbots are kinda useless with sway (especially if we have multiple sway patterns randomly selected), wallhacks are of limited utility, etc.

We have to see what people end up trying to abuse, and of course our stance would be something along the lines of "don't try to cheat, just play the game" but I'm not sure it will be an issue.

We already had a speedhacker in the game so no one knows what people will come up with

Knight 697 1611
  • 20 May '18
 das

Reduced Blocked/Chambered attacking queue window to 75ms (from 150ms)

At the moment, counteracting this, being able to rapidly regrab disarmed weapons, and being able to perform an easier jump kick are the only macros that will benefit you imo.

Duke 5558 13284
  • 20 May '18
 Jax — Community Manager

we could just add in a slight lockout if you spam E, idk if you guys have played recent battlefield titles but if you mash your spot key it stops working after a few rapid presses, so something like that might be worth looking into.

Knight 253 546
  • 20 May '18
 Gauntlet

Probably better to just disable catching weapons mid air, it doesn't even look cool, looks like you used the force to pull it back to your hand. Also highly exploitable, I've witnessed players who could not be disarmed because they would always instantly catch and parry the follow up.

Duke 5558 13284
  • 20 May '18
 Jax — Community Manager

but it's funnnnnnn

and if it's a stab it's completely random so you're fukt

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 20 May '18
 Sir Zombie

@REKTKWONDO said:

@Sir Zombie said:
Some people are using a macro that spams E so they can never lose their shield

False, you can do it without a macro, I do. So.

haha yes

And it work with 2hander or 1hander too
Remember, Dev do it in a video before the release

cancer with shields tho

3rd : Its a macro, not a script, nothing is wrong as long as you dont use an extern program. People use macro to auto fire in FPS too so

maybe thats why i said it was a macro 🤔

Knight 1269 3811
  • 20 May '18
 Frise

Macros that perform perfect long feints/morphs can be an advantage, but feints are in a good spot in the sense that it matters more when you do them than how well you can hide them.

Knight 337 778
  • 20 May '18
 AngelEyes

I think it is as simple as putting a 1-2 second interact lockout after disarm maybe. After all they are getting disarmed.. If they are going to be nimble in retrieving their weapon that's great but they should have at least to work for it a little bit.

252 866
  • 20 May '18
 Cswic

All the "well people don't get much of an advantage from using a macro" discussion is irrelevant. You're essentially having a program play the game for you on a small scale that is not supported by the original game. (Auto feint to parry could be argued to be a macro but it is built in).

Just say macros are not allowed and call it a day else you just get people using macros and scripts saying "it doesnt give an advantage anyway". If they didn't give an advantage people would not use them.

The fact that people use them means they likely give an advantage, even if that advantage is only useful to that particular person and not something every player would find useful.

Knight 337 778
  • 21 May '18
 AngelEyes

@Cswic said:
The fact that people use them means they likely give an advantage, even if that advantage is only useful to that particular person and not something every player would find useful.

I'm with ya Cswic. It's one of those things that is advantageous on a personal level because all our brains are wired differently. I would like to see it prohibited in the ToS. On the other hand I don't think there is really a way to stop it but that doesn't mean it still can't be against the rules.

Knight 222 187
  • 1
  • 21 May '18
 REKTKWONDO

Lockout for attacking yes.
Not for grab back your weap.
Free hit shouldnt be and neva be a Thing in competitive melee game, 0 stamina should disavantage you.
A free hit should be a thing but only in Xvs1, when other opponent time their attack
I think "clash" after disarming an opponent should be slower, so the "defenser" can get his weapons back then chamb\parry
To fix E macro, its simple, put a lil lock after each keypress so if you spam E and dont aim at your weap you'll not able to get your weap for like 0,5 second

"cancer with shields tho"

  • Yus but it was far better without shield, you dont regen any stamina when you losing your shield, but you get 30 stam when losing your weap.

Before the patch 15 I volontary leave my shield at the ground, and volontary parry instead of chamber to get back my weap and +30 stamina then hit opponent then take my shield on the ground

"I think it is as simple as putting a 1-2 second interact lockout after disarm maybe."

  • The mechanic is not the problem, macro is.
    Stop trying to remove every good and skillful mechanic in the Game.
Knight 86 133
  • 1
  • 21 May '18
 Raegarth

@yourcrippledson said:
This part is tricky. I just want to feel comfortable in my skull, so I want more FoV options, it isn't even necessarily to "gain an advantage" but other players might say they don't want me to have this option because it puts them at a disadvantage because they like a smaller FoV.
Meanwhile if you follow this logic, why are they including 3rd person in a 1st person focussed game? Yet at the same time restrict my 1st person FoV?

FoV above 130 makes archery harder, throwing things harder, seeing shit in the distance harder. 3rd person does none of these with an equivalent FoV of like 180.

Silly things

Well don’t forget that in Chiv you could bind « switch to 60 fov » while aiming with distance weapons. So that you had a 150 fov in melee but when you pressed RMB with your xbow or bow it immediately turned the fov into 60.
(For me that’s cheating as you get advantage from 150 fov without having its drawbacks)