Mordhau

Behind the back wall hits

Count 24 95
  • 18 May
 June

So everyone's noticed that walls are very unforgiving in this game, even with the tracer reduction. The question is, is it fine as is or are changes needed? I like the idea of being able to use the environment to my advantage, using a wall to stop extra angles of attack. But as it is that's not really possible. The argument for wall hits would be that players can effectively herd others into a position that makes them easier to take on. I think if wall hits were reduced to be more frontal there would still be ways to outplay others with the environment, mainly baiting chamber attempts to hit walls.

Here's some examples of the current status of wall hits.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingFuriousClipzPrimeMe
https://clips.twitch.tv/BlushingRelentlessAnteaterPipeHype

Knight 828 2154
Count 405 1015
  • 19 May
 Hadeus

I think wall hits should remain something you need to concious about, but the clips you provided really doesnt look like you would hit the wall in the first place.

The only way I can think of changing these wall hits atm is making wall hits only occur in release, so of course it would remove most of the rear wall hits (like your clip).

Atm it looks like it hits during windup o.O

Duke 2160 3625
  • 19 May
 Huggles

I hate it. I don't really care if it's gamey, I think that if I'm not seeing my wep hit the wall in my fov it shouldn't hit a wall.

173 597
  • 20 May
 Cswic

Just clean up map collision in general.

Knight 1157 2246

Honestly wall hits should be less forgiving than they are now.

Watching someone's sword clip well into a solid piece of world geometry and not get stopped is pretty annoying.

Duke 5134 11071
  • 21 May
 Jax — Community Manager

we want to add a scraping sound for when your weapon's extra tracers pass through map objects, so that way you know you're close to hitting walls and stuff

not sure if we're going to get around to adding it, but it'd be a nice quality of life feature

Knight 526 1321

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:
Honestly wall hits should be less forgiving than they are now.

Watching someone's sword clip well into a solid piece of world geometry and not get stopped is pretty annoying.

Well the reason it's frustrating is when you're trying to overhead while having a wall behind you is because your windup goes straight through the wall and get stuck on release. In reality your character wouldn't go that far behind himself knowing there's a wall right behind.

The reason why wall hits are forgiving is because you can't be expected to control your movement precisely enough to avoid every wall like you would do in reality.

@Jax said:
we want to add a scraping sound for when your weapon's extra tracers pass through map objects, so that way you know you're close to hitting walls and stuff

not sure if we're going to get around to adding it, but it'd be a nice quality of life feature

I don't see at all how that could work but I'm now very much curious. Can you clarify what's on your mind ?

Duke 5134 11071
  • 21 May
 Jax — Community Manager

so atm there's a few tracers on the weapon that don't interact with the environment, these tracers would make a sound if they hit but still not collide

Knight 526 1321

@Jax said:
so atm there's a few tracers on the weapon that don't interact with the environment, these tracers would make a sound if they hit but still not collide

Interesting, I like it !

Knight 1157 2246

@ÐMontyleGueux said:
Well the reason it's frustrating is when you're trying to overhead while having a wall behind you is because your windup goes straight through the wall and get stuck on release. In reality your character wouldn't go that far behind himself knowing there's a wall right behind.

The reason why wall hits are forgiving is because you can't be expected to control your movement precisely enough to avoid every wall like you would do in reality.

You have 4 different keys for making sure you are positioned properly.
It's almost like it is up to you as a player to use the basic functionality of your brain to think "HMMMMMMMMM maybe I shouldn't swing my huge sword near this wall."

Having forgiving geometry collision goes directly against what mordhau is trying to do.

So you try to do an overhead swing and hit the wall behind you?
Well too bad. You weren't aware of your position nor of the fact that your opponent pushed you back towards that wall for that reason.

Watching an enemy's weapon solidly clip through world geometry without stopping is unintuitive and inconsistent.

Mordhau should have one or the other.
Either no weapon collision with terrain or objects at all, or complete collision.

The way it is right now makes it a guessing game. Sometimes the weapon will clip into the wall and stop, sometimes it won't. That right there is what mordhau is trying to get rid of, inconsistency.

Upon any clipping with terrain, attacks should either never stop, or stop every time.

989 5541
  • 22 May
 crushed — Art

Next patch will include a change that disables the wall hits from early release, which will fix these shown in the OP. I agree it feels clunky and random when it happens to you, but it might lead to too many tracers going trough walls so we'll have to see.

Knight 526 1321

@crushed said:
Next patch will include a change that disables the wall hits from early release, which will fix these shown in the OP. I agree it feels clunky and random when it happens to you, but it might lead to too many tracers going trough walls so we'll have to see.

Sounds great. Thanks for trying things out and involve the community !

Count 671 1117
  • 22 May
 Zexis

@crushed said:

it's the worst when you have a long weapon like a zwei indoors and keep smacking the walls on early release so this change sounds nice. but on the other hand, it gives me a reason to halfsword

173 597
  • 22 May
 Cswic

@Zexis said:

@crushed said:

it's the worst when you have a long weapon like a zwei indoors and keep smacking the walls on early release so this change sounds nice. but on the other hand, it gives me a reason to halfsword

I am hoping this doesnt result in guys being able to easily swing zwei / halberd indoors on staircases in grad. Would really take away from the benefit of using a smaller weapon in tight spaces. But like all things we'll have to wait and see.

Duke 5134 11071
  • 22 May
 Jax — Community Manager

@Zexis said:

@crushed said:

now you can get EVEN CLOSER to the wall tho in halfsword

Knight 369 1204
  • 24 May
 Mittsies

Wall hits punish you for being up against the wall. Working as intended tbh.

Knight 828 2154
  • 24 May
 Frise

@Mittsies said:
Wall hits punish you for being up against the wall. Working as intended tbh.

137 64
  • 25 May
 s522662

if they upgrade the servers, then yeah