Mordhau

Current State of Combat

Knight 161 229
  • 7 May '18
 Q

I feel like the combat has hit a fork in the road with regard to balancing defence with offence. It could go one of two ways. With one being a dumbed down band aid/bodge job approach.

Allow me to elaborate.

The main issue I see at the moment with combat is defence > offence. This could stem in part from attacks generally being more readable than in Chivalry, which is typically a good thing. However this naturally results in defence becoming easier.

I would argue that both defence and offence are somewhat underpowered. Which is not a good thing, as it results in boring gameplay at best, and annoying/infuriating at worst.

Allow me to further elaborate, and offer solutions.

Defence

Parrying consists of two aspects, size and duration (space/time). Currently it is unbalanced, in favour of duration. Parry size is small; parry duration long.

Small parry size makes 1vX extremely difficult, as you simply can't successively/simultaneously parry multiple attacks from different angles.

However the duration of parry seems to last forever. Resulting in clunky gameplay. Often I parry attacks by accident that I simply shouldn't have.

Offence

Offence is underpowered as it lacks creativity. Even with good footwork and swing manipulation, bar cheese it is far too hard to land a hit without feint/morph, which ultimately feels cheap.

The most elegant solution to buff offence is to introduce same side combos, as it would increase the potential level of swing manipulation, and in turn the skill ceiling. It would also help dispatching multiple foes in 1vX.

In conclusion. Defence needs tweaking. Offence needs buffing.

Baron 1551 2085
  • 7 May '18
 yourcrippledson

Crushed responded to this idea before.

crushed — Art said:
Agree this would be cool to have, cannot say if we'll have this in the game as it requires a significant amount of work that there is no time for right now, but maybe in a future update.

I don't see them somehow having more spare time now, but it is a simple feature that I agree should be in the game if there is no better reason for it not being there than coding issues...

I think they should make drags slightly better... Some players want to see a "less draggy game" but I really enjoy the mechanic and I think it is a necessary element to increase variety of viable playstyles and raise the skill ceiling back up where she belongs.

36 70
  • 7 May '18
 Elder

They should just increase the parry lockout a lot. Yeah, you won't be able to chamber ripostes, but since you can't feint ripostes, does it really matter? Would give much needed breathing room for teamfighting and we wouldn't have to rely on trading/taking damage in order to 1vX.

Additionally, remove the movement penalty when hit - that neuters 1vX. Make movement more arcadey - probably increase the base sprint accel when you immediately hit sprint but keep the top speeds the same.

Edit: Also, running around someone's bubble takes much longer in this game compared to chiv.

Knight 668 995

Defence isn't greater than offence. If that's the case for you, then stop being bad and it'll start going the other way.

4 real people, they removed active parry - Defence needs no more nerfs.

Knight 668 995

Really not trying to be toxic btw. I'm just tired of people complaining about this topic, when it all relies on their lack of skill.

Baron 1551 2085

@Jackass - Knight of Ass said:
Really not trying to be toxic btw. I'm just tired of people complaining about this topic, when it all relies on their lack of skill.

Well seeing as how the game isn't done yet there are problems that can't be solved with skill. 1vX presents challenges that don't need to exist. Chambers are useless 1vX atm, and I hear they are doing something with that.
And we still have little idea how perks are going to work.

Never heard of "Git Gud" being a solution to missing mechanics and balances.

396 453
  • 7 May '18
 JasonBourne

I agree with op tbh. The game has become very boring and its very hard to bypass parry as it takes way too long. This leaves chambers a bit in the dark. I know chambers are not meant to be consistent 100% but the reward for chambering is very little, especially in teamfights.

Also gambles and kicks have become more populair lately and I dont blame them otherwise it can become a stamina war.

271 939
  • 7 May '18
 Jackass

@yourcrippledson said:

@Jackass - Knight of Ass said:

Well seeing as how the game isn't done yet there are problems that can't be solved with skill. 1vX presents challenges that don't need to exist. Chambers are useless 1vX atm, and I hear they are doing something with that.
And we still have little idea how perks are going to work.

Never heard of "Git Gud" being a solution to missing mechanics and balances.

git gud

140 66
  • 7 May '18
 s522662

yes, i would like to see more improvements on both

Mercenary 225 562
  • 8 May '18
 Izıl

Lets hope for same-side combos at some point, even at release, that would surely bring more variable attacks and fun to the table because at the moment i think its pretty stale, too much repeat of the same

Duke 2266 4009
  • 8 May '18
 Huggles

Swing manipulation doesn't need any changes except maybe removing 5%

I like same side combos and think the parry duration could use a miniscule nerf to stop some edge cases.

For example of such an edge case, currently there is a really tiny window where you can block both accels and decels with the same timing for most weapons with decent footwork. This is achieved by stepping away from the attack, parrying once you see release begin, then moving back towards it.

Footwork is good and all but it should not be able to mitigate having to read things THIS much. The duration could use a nerf to force you to hard read a drag or accel. Footwork should be used to assist in hard reading but not allow for you to avoid it entirely.

I mean TINY nerf, like 25ms.

But generally speaking I think the combat is really good. I don't think it desperately needs these changes or anything (maybe the 5%) but it would be nice if we got them.

You also do have to think of the noobs, tho. Noobs are the only way to keep the game alive. Attacks don't really look like cancer much at all, and THAT needs to stay to attract noobs.

Baron 1551 2085
  • 8 May '18
 yourcrippledson

@Huggles said:

You also do have to think of the noobs, tho. Noobs are the only way to keep the game alive. Attacks don't really look like cancer much at all, and THAT needs to stay to attract noobs.

Where in your opinion does the cancer remain Huggles?

Duke 2266 4009
  • 8 May '18
 Huggles

@yourcrippledson said:

@Huggles said:

Where in your opinion does the cancer remain Huggles?

Honestly nothing in this game infuriates me but gambles and whiffs that don't look like whiffs. Everything else is pretty fair and balanced imho. Feints, drags, morphs, footwork, recovery skip, all good to me.