Mordhau

im very worried about this game

2 3

i want to start off by saying the game looks amazing and super fun (i wouldnt know tho because i dont have it) but im worried that when its finely is able to be purchased its just going to be a bunch of noobs getting rekt by these guys who have had there hands on the game for much longer and will make it hard for new players to get into the game i dont know if anyone feels the same way but i dont think just getting rekt by the experienced players would be very fun

Knight 928 2545
  • 6 May '18
 Pred

There is very few people in alpha and if the game is even moderately successful, you will rarely see them as they will be outnumbered by new players, there is nothing to worry about.

To put it into prespective - my super wild guess is in Chiv (5 year old sorta ded gaem hurr durr) there were somewhere between 1000-2000 unique players on a typical afternoon (in EU). There is maybe 30-40 unique players on a typical afternoon in Mordhau (in EU).

Game might be a little hard to get into for a person entirely new to the genre but not because of a high number of veteran players but because mechanically it is not very noob friendly (yet). Hopefully it will change when it gets closer to release.

Knight 1836 2228
  • 6 May '18
 Void

Hello and welcome!

I don't think you should worry about it.
Not all 3000 backers are playing. Actually the guys that play regularly and tryhard the game are very few. Roughly 100, if I'm not mistaken.
Mordhau is going to sell thousands of copies on release, so the veterans will be ultra rare among the masses.
Also, lets not forget the matchmaking system. The system will ensure that you will mostly play against guys of the same skill level as you, by keeping track of each player's skill level.

Edit: oops, while I was typing Pred answered, but yeah, we're saying the same thing.

Knight 1836 2228
  • 6 May '18
 Void

Ignore this

Duchess 6892 9862
  • 6 May '18
 Sir Zombie

@Void said:
Ignore this

no

Conscript 4564 6301
  • 6 May '18
 vanguard

You should be more worried about chiv veterans that will kick your ass if you have no experience in game like this, then tryhard alpha testers. These will be more like unicorns tbh pretty fucking rare

Empress 383 896
  • 6 May '18
 Soulcatcher

Hopefully the amount of skilled/expereinced players is outweighed by the amount of new people playing the game.

But ya, you've got Alpha players with thousands of hours in Chiv, and potentially a thousand hours in Mord by release.

Then you've just got people with thousands of hours in Chiv who didn't back kickstarter yet their skills will translate over extremely well to Mordhau.

It's not unexpected.

And it's not so bad. If there is heaps of new players, cool, you're not gonna be fighting gods all the time, but the fact those sorts of people are there is good. I don't think I ever got as good as I did in Chiv (and I never got that good according to many) without fighting players far more experienced.

It's a good thing. For people who have the patience to learn and get better at the game. No tutorial will teach you as much as a few fights with someone 100x your skill level. Probably won't be viewed that way by the person on the well.... dead end of it. But eh you can't please everyone.

Count 449 1186
  • 6 May '18
 Hadeus

@negan

As a Chiv Vet and Alpha player, I am compiling an extensive guide for those that want to become competetively good at the game. It will be featured on Mordhaus steam guides once available.

If you read if and take it serious, you should be able to 'git gud' soon.

Knight 668 995

Tldr: Don't worry. The game will have a matchmaking system that'll put you in games of players with similar skill as you.

Baron 1551 2086
  • 7 May '18
 yourcrippledson

Ah this old chestnut. I'm going to tell you what everyone above me has just told you, but didn't bother to read, and what I have told many before you.

Like 3000 peeps got alpha and beta. Like less than 1/4 actually play with any regularity. So ultimately there are likely between 500 and 1000 people who are going to be "godly" good at mechanics that are outdated, going to be replaced anyway. In a game expecting hundreds of thousands of sales, i don't see how the 500 of us could possibly sour the experience enough to affect the success of the game... maybe a few hundred nubs will hate how much better i am and quit?

But if the game is as good as i expect, I will inspire thousands of nubs to try to get better, at the same time as i am destroying dreams i am creating them...

Duke 282 401
  • 7 May '18
 SeaFerret

Tbh when I started chiv it was getting destroyed by experienced players that got me hooked. Seeing someone who has mastered the mechanics of the game plowing through LMB noobs is so inspiring. Killing someone who is clearly a better player than you is so rewarding.

Baron 1551 2086
  • 7 May '18
 yourcrippledson

@SeaFerret said:
Tbh when I started chiv it was getting destroyed by experienced players that got me hooked. Seeing someone who has mastered the mechanics of the game plowing through LMB noobs is so inspiring. Killing someone who is clearly a better player than you is so rewarding.

Yeah, first time I saw Tobi-Wan Kenobi in a TO I wanted to be him. There were milestone dudes along the way, who would stand out as clearly better than me... then one day you run into them again and they aren't. This happens over and over again.. Suddenly 1500 hours later I am going toe to toe with Tobi himself :o Holding my own against and alongside him.

Inspiring, no?

194 89
  • 7 May '18
 a_squire

im not afraid. theyre only better till their not. i give it a month.

@Seaferret knows whats up

Knight 5271 7108
  • 7 May '18
 Humble Staff

@yourcrippledson said:
at the same time as i am destroying dreams i am creating them...

You should make a slogan out of this

Knight 614 1114
  • 7 May '18
 Uncy

Theres max 30 players in EU playing every day, and actually being good. Dont know about US but there will be less than 100 good players on release

Duchess 6892 9862
  • 7 May '18
 Sir Zombie

tbf the amount of alpha backers playing will increase when game is fully released

1 1

all chivalry's "post alpha gamers" will come dont worry , when u know how big players plays it become easy to beat them

Knight 614 1114
  • 7 May '18
 Uncy

@Sir Zombie said:
tbf the amount of alpha backers playing will increase when game is fully released

But since they arent playing now it doesnt matter if they had alpha access or not

Duchess 6892 9862
  • 7 May '18
 Sir Zombie

A lot of people play at the release of a new patch but not after a week, so they will still have a headstart.

Knight 240 388
  • 7 May '18
 NitroSperg6K

literally not an issue whatsoever.
the alpha backers (averaging around 1-200 active players max) will be eclipsed by release horde