Mordhau

A post that Jax wrote

Baron 1551 2087
  • 28 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

I thought this was worth a forum topic on it's own. Lotsa info..

• Double parrying and parry-into-parry will be getting a massive buff - current idea is that parries that happen 500 ms or less after an initial parry cost 0 stamina. Will greatly increase survivability in 1vX situations.
  • We're looking into more utility for chambers in team scenarios, but we don't wanna go back to active parry, as that promotes spam.
  • Spamming will be cut down a lot - experimental idea atm is that combo miss penalty will be increased; miss the first attack and it's normal stamina cost, but if you combo and miss the second the stamina cost would be doubled.
  • Some netcode magic is making instahits less prevalent next patch, which will increase the consistency of chambers. #16 might also include some small chamber window increases.
  • Riposte trading is getting buffed, firstly in damage reduction and most likely you won't be able to hit-parry someone riposting, as that defeated the entire purpose of them.
  • Movement is getting fixed so you can't just run away from people that are engaging you when they have the initiative, and also we're experimenting with forcing walk on flinch, which will help make footwork more prevalent when you land a hit. You're actually able to control someone when they've taken a hit, atm they can tend to be a bit slippery.
  • As for gambling, Mordhau has the concept of initiative, but due to all the mechanics timing in Mordhau is much less "binary" than it is in something like CMW. There's a back-and-forth to rights but it's much less pronounced unless you're just spamming riposte accels at each other, and because of this you can interrupt timing with kicks or fast weapon. Unless you feint someone and they blindly attack, it's probably not a gamble.

some of the maps being expanded for Frontline, we also have multiple other maps that will be released, probably during the beta timeframe. Also, remember the alpha is for testing mechanics, not adding a ton of new content. The maps are coming, don't worry. (They look SICK too btw)

Hope that clears some stuff up for ya :)

Mercenary 179 614
  • 28 Apr '18
 Stauxie

hmm yes these are words

Duchess 6895 9871
  • 28 Apr '18
 Sir Zombie

they do seem to be written by "yourcrippledson" though

Duke 5545 13265
  • 28 Apr '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Yeah, I'll be making a "preliminary patch report" thread before #16, not necessarily what the exact changes are but more of things that the community has given feedback on + what we've seen needs to be changed, plus rough outlines of how we are fixing these issues.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 28 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@Jax said:
what we've seen needs to be changed, plus rough outlines of how we are fixing these issues.

Overheads seem harder to use around team mates in this than in chiv. I find myself using stabs exclusively... Maybe that's okay?
Is it possible to make it so only the last 15% of your swing won't damage team mates?

Duke 5545 13265
  • 28 Apr '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Are you using 240 or binds?
Binds don't come in at the 'steepest' angle so that could be your issue.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 28 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@Jax said:
Are you using 240 or binds?

I use both simultaneously, depends on situation for each strike.
In this case perhaps there should be a way to set each of my binds to a more specific set of degrees? Probably not worth the trouble..

Duke 5545 13265
  • 28 Apr '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Nah, I wouldn't imagine that it'd be worth the time currently.
Also binds have an advantage in terms of speed so I think it's fair that 240° has an advantage in precision.

301 875
  • 28 Apr '18
 Naleaus

Yes, forced hit trades, great, best mechanic.

Duke 5545 13265
  • 29 Apr '18
 Jax — Community Manager

they're only hit trades if you attack into someone riposting. that can only happen if you watch them riposte and commit to an attack, which is pretty much like 1vX gambling

301 875
  • 29 Apr '18
 Naleaus

If I hit someone while they're attacking, I flinch them, except a riposte.
If I hit someone, I do normal damage, except riposte
If I hit someone, I can immediately parry during the rest of the release, except riposte.

For all the talk about active parry being unintuitive, there's a fuckload of exceptions just to make this mechanic viable.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 29 Apr '18
 Huggles

@Naleaus said:
If I hit someone while they're attacking, I flinch them, except a riposte.
If I hit someone, I do normal damage, except riposte
If I hit someone, I can immediately parry during the rest of the release, except riposte.

For all the talk about active parry being unintuitive, there's a fuckload of exceptions just to make this mechanic viable.

That's a fair argument. This trade mechanic is more consistent but probably equally as unintuitive as active parry.

Knight 3311 6797
  • 29 Apr '18
 Bodkin

The parry stamina thing needs to also apply for shields.

Eating ~15 stamina on each block is cancer with multiple enemies

Knight 934 2556
  • 29 Apr '18
 Pred

@Jax said:
Nah, I wouldn't imagine that it'd be worth the time currently.
Also binds have an advantage in terms of speed so I think it's fair that 240° has an advantage in precision.

This is bad tbh.

"We have two ways to setup controls in this game and none of them works exactly as you want"

988 6972
  • 29 Apr '18
 marox — Project Lead

@Jax said:

They do have the steepest angle actually

988 6972
  • 29 Apr '18
 marox — Project Lead

@Bodkin said:
The parry stamina thing needs to also apply for shields.

Eating ~15 stamina on each block is cancer with multiple enemies

It does.

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 29 Apr '18
 EruTheTeapot

Double post, ban.

Ban-Signal-Crush.png

Baron 1551 2087
  • 29 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@marox said:
@Jax said:

Then my difficulties with overheads around my team mates are due to my preferred choice of oversized weapons in conjunction with unexpected footwork from team mates, and the horizontal movement that comes at the end of the strike that wasn't there in chiv...

Maybe there should be a nearly 100% vertical strike that is unique to the secondary on the halb and the bardiche, specifically to use in team fights.

I use the poke most of the time in 1v1 and team games, I wanna swing shit around more.

Duke 986 1381
  • 29 Apr '18
 PadanFain

@marox said:

@Jax said:

How embarrassing 🤣😂😅😆😘

Knight 196 414

@PadanFain said:

@marox said:

@Jax said:

How embarrassing 🤣😂😅😆😘

Hahahahahaha 😆