Mordhau

Attacks missing someone and then turning back into them later. (Waterfalls)

194 89
  • 27 Apr '18
 a_squire

aright cool. as long as it doesnt feel like for honor or mount n blade im in.

Duke 5545 13265
  • 27 Apr '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Nah man, it doesn't even feel all too similar to Chiv, the foundations are there but everything plays out much differently (in a better way) IMO.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 27 Apr '18
 vanguard

Oh if that is what you fear, then don't worry. The game and the fights are very fluid and has a very good pace when you start to exchange ripostes and chambers. 1vX is highly fun but difficult as fuck, teamgames is where the game shines imho, it is so fluid to fight along side a comrade and targetswitch etc.

It doesn't resemble M&B nor For Honor at all tbh.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 27 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@Jax said:
Rainbows or reverse overheads suck, they won't be in Mordhau.

Even if they added to the skill ceiling in CMW, they didn't do it in an intuitive or fun way. We have many more mechanics in place that increase the skill gap without needing to have them. As for the pace, it can be slower or faster than Chiv, you're going to have to play it for yourself.

I would say letting the more skill player control the pace of the fight seems to be what Mordhau is going for... I hope, cause some days I feel aggressive and other days I don't, I should still be able to enjoy the game when I am not in beast mode...

I liked backswing mechanics and the uniqueness helped me stay interested once I got the base gameplay down. But I want to see what a game is like without them. Save those for Chiv 2 (lol)

194 89
  • 27 Apr '18
 a_squire

and lemme replace my broken computer and ill chiv you. u goin dooowwwn

but aright i will just wait to play. and will hope your all right

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 27 Apr '18
 vanguard

I'm NEVER wrong man, except for this one time where I thought I was wrong but I was actualy right

140 66
  • 27 Apr '18
 s522662

@Monsteri said:
Being stationary (and crouched) should mean you are at a massive disadvantage.

The only thing I see wrong with this is that it looked like he was aiming too far off to your side, which made it look like a miss at first. Some adjustments to release trajectory might be necessary sooner or later.

please dont nerf these drags, or else this game is basicly checkers compared to chess

140 66
  • 27 Apr '18
 s522662

@Koda said:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GorgeousSpitefulAmethystgemclam-size_restricted.gif

I'm talking about the first attack where he misses me at the beginning of the attack, then comes back around going from right to left in a left-to-right uppercut magically cutting back into me.

I don't care to argue about why some of you think that this is some necessary bullshit so "highskill" players can defeat scrubs like me. Only a couple players actually do this and the rest of the game is fine without them so don't hit me with that. I'm just gonna give my feedback as someone that's been here a while and say that this is unintuitive, unrealistic, broken, and a poor gameplay mechanic. There's my $0.02.

If only a few people can do it, then thats means its a skill thats hard to learn. just because someone has more capabilities than you doesnt mean you should remove their playstyle, thats what makes competitive.

301 875
  • 28 Apr '18
 Naleaus

@s522662 said:

@Koda said:

I'm talking about the first attack where he misses me at the beginning of the attack, then comes back around going from right to left in a left-to-right uppercut magically cutting back into me.

I don't care to argue about why some of you think that this is some necessary bullshit so "highskill" players can defeat scrubs like me. Only a couple players actually do this and the rest of the game is fine without them so don't hit me with that. I'm just gonna give my feedback as someone that's been here a while and say that this is unintuitive, unrealistic, broken, and a poor gameplay mechanic. There's my $0.02.

If only a few people can do it, then thats means its a skill thats hard to learn. just because someone has more capabilities than you doesnt mean you should remove their playstyle, thats what makes competitive.

That first isn't a high skill drag, it's not going to happen in almost any normal fight. It's a gimmick that doesn't matter, because unlike reverses which were easy as shit to land, this one requires someone to crouch and not move. It's not worth trying to fix just this one instance, cause then you get shit like glancing blows. If it was a simple fix, then no one would ever miss it.

Normal waterfalls though they probably won't remove either.

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

@s522662 said:

@Koda said:

thank you!

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

your just not allowed to defend a high skill game mechanic i guess...
i know! do what i did and figure them out. cause when you cant beat em, join em. thats why i decided to get gud at spinnies
mawfsks

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

OK GUYS right here right now tho, were going to give this shit a single universal name, so everyone knows what were talking about cause right know there are too many names for the “reverse overhand”, and calling it a “reverse overhand” hurts all our typers.
i propose we call them “spinnie spinnie doom dooms”
all agreed?
good.
onto buisness.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 28 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@a_squire said:
OK GUYS right here right now tho, were going to give this shit a single universal name, so everyone knows what were talking about cause right know there are too many names for the “reverse overhand”, and calling it a “reverse overhand” hurts all our typers.
i propose we call them “spinnie spinnie doom dooms”
all agreed?
good.
onto buisness.

Empty my chamber pot squire.

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

yall have no vision xd
maybe if we gave them a silly name it would take away from the negetivity surrounding them

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

We’ll call them,
“super plausible, ultimate, doom spins”
or “spuds” for short.
or
“lightspeed instantanious circle.. kut”!
so if you do it right, you “licked” em.
get it ho ho
or
the* “power oscilating, overhead punisher”

1387 2086

My biggest problem with Chivalry's spin drags was that they were simply rehearsed moves that looked like other rehearsed moves. At high level it came down to making your spin drag look like a different kind of spin drag than it really was. A player using one spin drag could accidentally do a different move than he meant to and it will be just as effective. The skill really came from reading these moves and knowing when/if to use them. Footwork usually beat them out but sometimes dodging that reverse simply meant you now had to dodge/block the drag part or eat it if you thought you were out of range.

We need a high skill mechanic but why does it have to be spinning, delaying your swing or something absurd? Why can't the high skill mechanic be something that's plausible and doesn't feel cheesy, unreadable or sketchy? So it looks and feels like a fight and losing makes you feel genuinely outsmarted/outplayed?

This is usually the part where I go on about making parries more strict in regards to area/angle etc as opposed to timing.

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

your not using the agreed upon terminology sir, please redo your post.

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
This is usually the part where I go on about making parries more strict in regards to area/angle etc as opposed to timing.

im all for a tiny little parry box, lets do this. and im with you. as long as they can keep the game feeling fast pased, no one needs to be able to perform the power oscilating overhead punisher

Baron 1551 2087
  • 28 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

We need a high skill mechanic but why does it have to be spinning, delaying your swing or something absurd? Why can't the high skill mechanic be something that's plausible and doesn't feel cheesy, unreadable or sketchy? So it looks and feels like a fight and losing makes you feel genuinely outsmarted/outplayed?

Ye smaller parry box would negate the need for a "high skill mechanic" as the nuances and importance of dragging attacks and placing defences would be more emphasized.

194 89
  • 28 Apr '18
 a_squire

its not really about it being high skill.. its more about just being different... got to feel like a jedi when things got boring