Mordhau

Attacks missing someone and then turning back into them later. (Waterfalls)

176 454
  • 27 Apr '18
 Koda

GorgeousSpitefulAmethystgemclam-size_restricted

I'm talking about the first attack where he misses me at the beginning of the attack, then comes back around going from right to left in a left-to-right uppercut magically cutting back into me.

I don't care to argue about why some of you think that this is some necessary bullshit so "highskill" players can defeat scrubs like me. Only a couple players actually do this and the rest of the game is fine without them so don't hit me with that. I'm just gonna give my feedback as someone that's been here a while and say that this is unintuitive, unrealistic, broken, and a poor gameplay mechanic. There's my $0.02.

271 939
  • 27 Apr '18
 Jackass

of course it's some fucking Stouty lookalike doing this

1309 2875
  • 27 Apr '18
 Monsteri

Being stationary (and crouched) should mean you are at a massive disadvantage.

The only thing I see wrong with this is that it looked like he was aiming too far off to your side, which made it look like a miss at first. Some adjustments to release trajectory might be necessary sooner or later.

301 875
  • 27 Apr '18
 Naleaus

@Jackass said:
of course it's some fucking Stouty lookalike doing this

That's me, I don't know Stouty, I've had the same customization the whole alpha cause I'm a lazy shit who doesn't care about it.

Anyway, yeah, don't stand still and crouch. You don't even follow my weapon, in fact you lose sight of me even.

Mercenary 2189 3903
  • 27 Apr '18
 EruTheTeapot

Sec, let me put on my hyper-speed glasses to see shit in the gif

99 313
  • 27 Apr '18
 chaquator

commenting on the poor defense is missing the point; i still think that trajectory looked weird, even from the limited view you get of it in the video

301 875
  • 27 Apr '18
 Naleaus

@chaquator said:
commenting on the poor defense is missing the point; i still think that trajectory looked weird, even from the limited view you get of it in the video

The poor defense is the only reason the attack hit in the first place though. Any sort of movement, or just not crouching would have made it miss. The clip is a bit cherry picked anyway, because of the waterfalls I land, 95% are early release and hit shoulders/arms. Making changes to avoid something like in the clip that only happens when fucking around on a non-moving person is a waste of time.

@Koda That said, if you want waterfalls removed altogether, use actual arguments as to why, instead of using a misleading example to try and garner support.

Mercenary 2189 3903
  • 27 Apr '18
 EruTheTeapot

Waterfalls ? Rainbows ?
Who the fuck names those things tbh..

271 939
  • 27 Apr '18
 Jackass

@EruTheTeapot said:
Waterfalls ? Rainbows ?

another proof that the chiv fanbase is gay

194 89
  • 27 Apr '18
 a_squire

lol yall kids dont know what makes these games fun

Knight 928 2545
  • 27 Apr '18
 Pred

@EruTheTeapot said:
Waterfalls ? Rainbows ?

They are actually pretty accurate and descriptive, aren't they?

Knight 685 1852
  • 27 Apr '18
 ÐMontyleGueux

@Naleaus said:

@chaquator said:

The poor defense is the only reason the attack hit in the first place though. Any sort of movement, or just not crouching would have made it miss. The clip is a bit cherry picked anyway, because of the waterfalls I land, 95% are early release and hit shoulders/arms. Making changes to avoid something like in the clip that only happens when fucking around on a non-moving person is a waste of time.

@Koda That said, if you want waterfalls removed altogether, use actual arguments as to why, instead of using a misleading example to try and garner support.

His complain is perfectly valid tho. The clip shows typically what would made any beginner say "well this is just as broken as chivalry, good bye", which is something Mordhau has been trying to avoid.

I've played chivalry for more than 3k hours, even competitively in the beginning. I loved reverse overheads and other weird swing manipulations. But as much as I enjoyed all that, I want Mordhau to be more than a niche game played by a few swing manipulation wizards.

Baron 1551 2085
  • 27 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

If you imagine the shape of a waterfall or a rainbow, that is basically the shape your weapon travels around you for each maneuver. Yep, so gay for coming up with accurate descriptors, what an idiot community that you are currently engrossed in lol.

This just looks like another basic messer thing to me.

1154 1807

I'm someone totally against the spinning guessing game Chivalry gave you and that's why I hate the current accel/decel meta... That being said the move above is not cancer and I'm amazed a player like you didn't punish it. There are no reverses so thus spin drags aren't even a major threat since it can only ever be a drag that is easily footworked/blocked/chambered. I'm a bad player and this would not have even touched me, I promise you. Doesn't even look that ugly and I doubt it's gonna scare away anyone who didn't already take issue with delay drags. Actually I'm someone who despises delay drags and I find nothing broken in the gif.

My opinions aside, how would you even "fix" this? Increase glancing hit? Increase turn cap? Convince us.

176 454
  • 27 Apr '18
 Koda

Perhaps I should have made the gif shorter, I was talking about the very first attack completely missing me and then turning back into me.

176 454
  • 27 Apr '18
 Koda

I'm not claiming there is no counter to this, I'm just saying this is ridiculous. Yes I could have ran away from your attack but just like in real life when someone goes from your top left to your bottom right and misses your head and shoulder, you don't keep trying to dodge the rest because it's just not possible to come back around and hit you with any real force unless from the very top it was an obvious crescent strike (Like where you are curving your attack around the entire time in the shape of a crescent moon).

Standing still is the best way to demonstrate the combat mechanics in the game as they are. Footwork just mitigates the broken-ness of it.

1309 2875
  • 27 Apr '18
 Monsteri

@Koda said:
Standing still is the best way to demonstrate the combat mechanics in the game as they are. Footwork just mitigates the broken-ness of it.

This is a huge misunderstanding on your part.

The game is footwork + combat mechanics.

He wouldn't have been able to pull off this attack without employing footwork himself. You employ your footwork to counter his footwork and deny him an effective deception. Stop crouching and you won't have issues, you're quite literally gimping yourself by not utilizing a huge core mechanic. The only real issue here is the visuals of the attack, which is a thing that can be talked about, but gameplay wise there's no problem here.

Conscript 4562 6301
  • 27 Apr '18
 vanguard

@Pred said:

@EruTheTeapot said:
Waterfalls ? Rainbows ?

They are actually pretty accurate and descriptive, aren't they?

No, they make no sense if I am to be honest.

Here, this tracers looks like a rainbow, but the attack called rainbow doesn`t look like this

rainbow.jpg

And here is a waterfall

waterfal.jpg

It gets specially worse when you consider BOTH names were used to refer to backswings in chivalry.

We need better names for drags tbh, all the names we have are ridiculously stupid and doesn't represent the attack well.

Baron 1551 2085
  • 27 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@vanguard said:

i am literally looking at a waterfall shape and a rainbow shape.

The rainbow actually looks like it is a part of the skyline it is so pretty

Conscript 4562 6301
  • 27 Apr '18
 vanguard

@yourcrippledson said:

@vanguard said:

i am literally looking at a waterfall shape and a rainbow shape.

Yeah that's because I made a waterfall and a rainbow using the tracers, but the attack refered to as rainbow and waterfall are not like that, and doesn't look like neither a waterfall nor a rainbow

The rainbow actually looks like it is a part of the skyline it is so pretty

I'm a fucking artist man