Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

The weird crab-walk gliding drags

1430 2175

What does controller have to do with literally anything? I did switch to M + K and hated it but it had no effects on actual gameplay but for sensitivity and it wasn't worth the "upgrade"... Infact but for sensitivity nerf I would think controller is 100% superior.

I understand the attack isn't technically slowed down but it IS slowed down in the sense that it delays when it hits and I can't be the only person who sees things in a matrix as you wait for it to finally hit after it's been delayed...

I want people to counter my statements with why parry as it is is so great and explain why it isn't corny af. Not nitpick technicalities. Chamber strictness makes sense considering you're deflecting an opponents attack with your windup but why does it make sense for your block to end just because your opponent slowed down his weapon? (I'm sorry delayed* his weapon)

We can do wayyyy better when it comes to nerfing defense/buffing offense so it feels like an actual fight.

198 89
  • 24 Apr '18
 a_squire

it sounds like you just cant figure out drags bro

1430 2175

Got something constructive to say? Do you think blocking is set up perfectly? Do you agree the way defense's set up is corny and lame? Oh you don't have the game so may as well comment for the sake of commenting, right?

Duel me in Chivalry sometime and I'll show I can read most drags/feints if they're not disguised as a reverse and I'll show you how to break a guard without resorting to timing deceptions.

198 89
  • 24 Apr '18
 a_squire

hold on

Knight 2307 4188
  • 24 Apr '18
 Runagate

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
What does controller have to do with literally anything? I did switch to M + K and hated it but it had no effects on actual gameplay but for sensitivity and it wasn't worth the "upgrade"... Infact but for sensitivity nerf I would think controller is 100% superior.

Why do you feel a controller is superior? Just curious

198 89
  • 24 Apr '18
 a_squire

i grew up on consoles im just more comfy with a controller
but in theory, with key binds, mouse and keyboard allow for fater reaction times.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 24 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

Controller for 20 years. Chiv first pc game. After like 10 hours with M&K i felt more comfortable, was already more precise, and could see how much more potential i can unlock using M&K.

Think about not only how much more precision you can get out of an optical mouse over an analog controller, but how much more control you have using your entire arm down to your fingertips to make adjustments in millimeters or feet comfortably. Compared to just the precision of the thumb being able to tilt a joystick 80degrees.

I use a controller to fight bots and chill.. but i wouldn't main it competitively. Not to mention with M&K i can use both 240 and binds for all attacks seamlessly.

1430 2175

I spent a long time writing an essay about how lame defense is... can we like talk about that

Baron 1551 2087
  • 25 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

I spent a long time writing an essay about how lame defense is... can we like talk about that

A parry should work more like an attack. Attacks should be slower and parries require more skill. A parry isn't something that is supposed to be right in front of your face. Having it in the center of the screen is the reason why i guess, but i think a lot of the problems stem from parry being confined to such a weird spot, forcing you to move your camera in a way that you shouldn't have to, you should just have to swat your sword down by your feet without looking to parry, like you can with a swing or like you would irl. Clashes are closer to actual parries, where as our parry is like a block animation.

Point is i invision a game where parries have different animations than attacks, special parry animations, but you throw them like attacks and they behave similar to a clash.. what do you think of that @lionheart somethinger?

1430 2175

italicised textI don't want people to pivot their whole body to block head on attacks (though some side/hook attacks would naturally require it), I've posted before there should be parry animations for different angles that also show where an opponent is open. Drags should be about where as opposed to when. Yeah infinite parries are abit much to ask for from people who put thousands of hours into chiv but we can all agree that there has to be more than acceling/dragging to this game.. otherwise that's all a morph or feint is and 240 is literally not even worth the trouble of making the animations for... In chiv I used zwei feints from a distance to provoke players who meant to trade hit into spamming and then hit them from out of reach. Here a full feint is just about punishing parries and a micro feint just punishes chambers attempts before they can parry. Literally 100% timing and ping. Morphs are just for punishing chamber attempts before someone can input their ftp in time. Dragged morphs are just steroidal drags meant to punish parries players who parried. Morph feint just punishes morphed chamber feints to parry. Feels like glorified rock paper scissors sometimes, especially at high ping. Accels just punish whoever tries to read something an serve only to make sure people feel the need to input quickly and not read. Fighting a shield is when morphs/feints/accels feel the most natural and fair to me tbh.

I wholeheartedly agree that it should be more like swinging than just sitting there and waiting for the attack.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 25 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

italicised textI don't want people to pivot their whole body to block head on attacks

I wholeheartedly agree that it should be more like swinging than just sitting there and waiting for the attack.

What if they made chambers much more effective and reliable and parries more like a targe block? would speed up the game and shift the combat away from timing towards performing the right action for the incoming attack

You have to always be blocking or clambering in the right spot. Timing is important, but in a way that feels more natural, less contrived than when your dude decides parrying got boring after almost a second.

Combat would feel better if i was planning out how i was going to get AROUND their defences, rather than how i am going to make them panic flinch and open up the flood gates to my bullshit.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 25 Apr '18
 yourcrippledson

@Lionheart Chevalier

Honestly, not a fan of the "active parry" mechanic, but it is more like a real parry than our current parry repost system. A parry is supposed to be "active", you throw a parry, but ours is static, you just sit there waiting with less control than you should have and i kind of hate that feeling.

This generates the lopsided feel of the combat the devs are having so much trouble shaking away.

Offence is fun, throwing attacks is fun.

Defense is not fun. Standing and waiting while the other guy gets to have his fun is not fun.

I am a naturally aggressive player and the defense in this game has a dreadfully passive feel.

A swinging parry animation (not instant, similar to but faster than an attack. Think wax on wax off.) would be fun defensively with a calculated risk the success of which depends on skill. This type of aggressive defensive play (where you can use skill to take momentum of the duel without throwing an attack or gambling or letting them finish a swing) is not present.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 26 Apr '18
 Huggles

@yourcrippledson said:

@Lionheart Chevalier

Honestly, not a fan of the "active parry" mechanic, but it is more like a real parry than our current parry repost system. A parry is supposed to be "active", you throw a parry, but ours is static, you just sit there waiting with less control than you should have and i kind of hate that feeling.

This generates the lopsided feel of the combat the devs are having so much trouble shaking away.

Offence is fun, throwing attacks is fun.

Defense is not fun. Standing and waiting while the other guy gets to have his fun is not fun.

I am a naturally aggressive player and the defense in this game has a dreadfully passive feel.

A swinging parry animation (not instant, similar to but faster than an attack. Think wax on wax off.) would be fun defensively with a calculated risk the success of which depends on skill. This type of aggressive defensive play (where you can use skill to take momentum of the duel without throwing an attack or gambling or letting them finish a swing) is not present.

That's a really good way of describing why defensive play is boring as shit and why a strong defense inevitably leads to a stale meta. Game is probably way too far along to really experiment with making defense to be any different than just a forcefield block, but I would love to see experimentation with this in future games.

140 66
Knight 941 2569
  • 28 Apr '18
 Pred

Yeah, like this:

https://streamable.com/0tx5j

Something needs work in the lower body movement department.

Knight 941 2569
  • 7 May '18
 Pred

OK, got a semi-decent example though it's not a front view:

https://streamable.com/7w83t

What probably makes them so weird sometimes (except of walking to the side or back of course) is the lunge which apparently doesn;t look too good when you are not walking straight. Actually when fighting you pay most attention to the upper body, but on replays you can see that people are constanly walking in super weird ways when they drag, for example their whole body moves towards you while facing to the side of you and their legs are moving backwards, lol.

198 89
  • 7 May '18
 a_squire

yeah that just looks like he swung way wide to get you to block too early... almost looked like a body fient if you wanna call it that. how else can people get the upperhand with these kinds of mechanics without shifty footwork like this? you realise mount and blade feels the way it does because those devs hated this kindof stuff too right?

fkn mab... fkn butter footin around may as well have a fkn locknon system but nooo mawfkin bunch of stick men with fisharms, fkn flailing on a 5way stupid pivot pointin they ugly crossbows cause mawsks know the combatsystems useless . mount and blade sucks

hastag i wanna refund

https://streamable.com/0tx5j
this one actually looks like realistic footwork to me. sorry. if you take into account how heavy the sword is, and how he swung with intent, whelsts still moving twards you...
hockey players move like that.

Knight 941 2569
  • 8 May '18
 Pred

@a_squire said:
yeah that just looks like he swung way wide to get you to block too early... almost looked like a body fient if you wanna call it that. how else can people get the upperhand with these kinds of mechanics without shifty footwork like this? you realise mount and blade feels the way it does because those devs hated this kindof stuff too right?

lol, classic forum.

OP: Sometimes people walk sideways or backwards when attacking, their legs clip through each other and the lunge on top of that makes the whole animation look bad.

Reply: If you want to remove drags the game would be an attack -> parry simulator with fights lasting forever.

Knight 627 2068
  • 8 May '18
 LuxCandidus

@Pred said:
lol, classic forum.

OP: Sometimes people walk sideways or backwards when attacking, their legs clip through each other and the lunge on top of that makes the whole animation look bad.

Reply: If you want to remove drags the game would be an attack -> parry simulator with fights lasting forever.

Your creation comes to haunt you, Pred.

c9a4e02ff3814f8600622117c57176b5.png

198 89
  • 9 May '18
 a_squire

062262BA-ECA2-4D6C-B69C-41FCF206D243.jpeg
fk yall its real. a good fighting tactic.
you cannot deny what youve seen in this, high defenition photograph, of two authentic knights, duking it out in the 15th century.