Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Single handly i can say the feinting in this game is broken.

18 16
  • 26 Mar '18
 Underainy

Alot of you might disagree but the amount of broken feinting i see in this game is absaloutly outrages.
for example: the Maul is almost impossble to read because the maul is the a small weapon and it should be fixed
i think if a game gonna bring feiting into it the feinting should be perfect or not be in the game alot of the top quality players use it but its not fun for a casual gamer to get absaloutly fucked with feints its not fun...so yeah..

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 26 Mar '18
 EruTheTeapot

I think the main issue is If you are new to this genre. The more you play, the more you will understand the game and its "annoying" mechanics.

I'm pretty casual too but I have a little time in the genre to see feint not so cancer. I use it too, you will pretty much get used to it.

1430 2175

I'm not sure what you mean by a feint being cancer. Like what specifically is wrong with feints and what would a "good" feint look like? In Chiv you had to hard read them, so I can see Chivalry's feints being cancer but not so much here where we have many counters to feints. I think as Eru said, youll learn to read them and learn to counter them in time.

18 16
  • 26 Mar '18
 Underainy

The thing im not new to this genre i have about 600 hours in Chiv so i do get the feinting thing but its not fun to play the game when all you do is feint and not actually combat it goes like this

me: Engage a guy
him: attacks
me: blocks and attack's back
him:blocks feints hits me one time in the head with a maul and thats it im dead.

see that isnt fun right?
so thats why i dont really enjoy playing this game

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 26 Mar '18
 EruTheTeapot

You are too biased I think, If all player you fight do the same thing, adapt to survive it.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 26 Mar '18
 Sir Zombie

but what if you didnt fall for the feint

18 16
  • 26 Mar '18
 Underainy

Well 99% of the players will fall to the feint first time and the 2nd time they wont but its a 50/50 chance to not fall for it

Knight 941 2569
  • 26 Mar '18
 Pred

It's the libtards that want to poison your brain with anti-feint agenda. In fact, most of the feint violence that causes the biggest outcry happens to feint-free people. All these times you were defeated by feints could have easily been prevented if you used a feint yourself.

So don't let their propaganda and twisted logic fool you. The majority of players are good people and if you take feints from them, they won't be able to defend themselves against a few bad guys, who will always have access to all the dirty tactics.

More feints is the only logical, reasonable solution to feints. In fact, since 2017 there were ten times more people dying in carriage accidents and falls from heights than from being feinted. What are we supposed to do, ban carriages and footbridges too?

18 16
  • 26 Mar '18
 Underainy

@Pred said:
It's the libtards that want to poison your brain with anti-feint agenda. In fact, most of the feint violence that causes the biggest outcry happens to feint-free people. All these times you were defeated by feints could have easily been prevented if you used a feint yourself.

So don't let their propaganda and twisted logic fool you. The majority of players are good people and if you take feints from them, they won't be able to defend themselves against a few bad guys, who will always have access to all the dirty tactics.

More feints is the only logical, reasonable solution to feints. In fact, since 2017 there were ten times more people dying in carriage accidents and falls from heights than from being feinted. What are we supposed to do, ban carriages and footbridges too?

what?

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 26 Mar '18
 vanguard

Maul being a small weapon should make its feints less of a threat, because you can always just run away a bit, enough to not get hit or make any feint atempt look pathetic. Now, if you are facehuging it, holding S like your life depends on it and leting the maul person have the initiative, well, then honestly you do deserve to get your head crushed by it tbh.

Footwork takes a long time to develop, really a long time. Mostly because most people goes by instinct and just hold S you know, never putting to much thought behind positioning. You gotta keep doing it, you will miss most of the time tbh but eventually u get the feel for it, then feints from shorter weapons stop being such a big deal my good comrade.

Try it out, stab a maul user at the maximum reach allowed by your weapon, then when he tries to riposte you, hold W+D or A and run away from his attack. Mouse movement is highly important here as well.

Also, notice that going backwards is not always the best option footwork wise, might sound suicidal but sometimes it is safer to run towards the sides of your opponent to get away from a attack. Like, the dude overheads you, from your view the attack is comming right-to-left, what you do here is look down so you lower your torso, hold W+D and run towards your opponent's right side, in order to run under the overhead, and then hit the person in the back.

When you start doing these shit more often, people will feint you and your reaction won't be to parry, but to try and footwork it. Then, as soon as you realise you are being feinted, you are A) probably good positioned and B) since you haven't panic parried, you are not in any sort of recovery, thus you can deffend yourself from any follow up attack. More often then not a successful footwork manuever will make your opponent panic and act retarded, which is quite the advantage.

Baron 664 1304
  • 26 Mar '18
 PJ_Ammas

Feinting isn't broken it's just gay

Count 331 1394
  • 27 Mar '18
 RingMaster

My two cents, i think having to react to an audible grunt that signals an attack and then a nano second later you're either hit or you parried early is silly imo, at the moment (for me at least) trying to read the attack animation to decipher whether the attack is committed or not is next to impossible unless ofcourse you've got 3k hours in chiv and/or have no lifed the game since release, i don't think you should be required to be that staggeringly good just to be able to not fall for literally the most basic "mind game" the game has. Because honestly at the end of it, all someone is doing is pressing Q after they attack, they aren't doing anything inherently skillful or clever yet it's so powerful in anyones hands.

I think the perfect balance would simply be instead of having to be god tier to be able to read them, you just have to be a player who is concentrating on the game and pay attention to some kind of clear and somewhat obvious animation cue while also having at least a decent-average reaction time.

Kind of like (please don't hang me for using this game as an example) For Honor and it's guard breaking, just a little skill check if that makes sense, but of course in this game you can do a shitload more than just that obviously.

Knight 941 2569
  • 27 Mar '18
 Pred

There was this SoW vs SoW FT10 posted a few weeks ago on Chiv subreddit and watching that absolute gamblefest garbage really makes you appreciate the state in which Mordhau's gameplay and feint balance is.

That being said, I still think it's far from perfect. The best defense against feints now is running away, which is ridiculous and should not be in the game in my opinion. You have these cool battles, two badass-looking knights clashing with swords and shit. But every time someone successfully feints the other guy fucking folds himself in half and casually runs away with his ass in the air, hoping for the best.

Without the ability to run away feints right now would be much more powerful. Also with things like ripostes from the shield, when the animation is hidden behind it or chamber feints on 1 handers, you are trying to read shit that happens absurdly fast. Rapier chamber takes about 0.2 seconds to hit I think? If it's redirected to a different place than your chambered attack you have 0.2 seconds to read and decide between all the options opponent could be doing and then move your camera to perform an action. If in this time you think "need to check if it's a feint first", then you have already taken a hit if it was an actual attack.

Initially I thought morphs and redirected attacks (like z-stabs) that are more similar to IRL feints would take precedence in this game, while the old fashioned "Chiv" feint would be easily punishable by chambers if you don't use it right and at a well chosen moment (ie. spam it). It turned out feints are the biggest staple of the game and I'm little worried what is going to be the public reception after how it was in Chiv.

36 70
  • 27 Mar '18
 Elder

Make feints more punishable so I can feel like omniscient god again.

Count 671 1131
  • 27 Mar '18
 Zexis

@Underainy said:
The thing im not new to this genre i have about 600 hours in Chiv so i do get the feinting thing but its not fun to play the game when all you do is feint and not actually combat it goes like this

me: Engage a guy
him: attacks
me: blocks and attack's back
him:blocks feints hits me one time in the head with a maul and thats it im dead.

see that isnt fun right?

you have a number of tools to deal with feints:

• read (i.e. don't fall for) them. Remember that feints can't be performed in release, only windup. Chamber and riposte feints are admittedly tougher to read because of the fast releases. Keeping your distance can help you read your enemy and stay calm
  • read them and then punish the enemy by attacking back
  • gamble with a chamber - you didn't read the feint, but you tried to chamber the attack you thought would come. Risky
  • gamble with any attack - you didn't read the feint and didn't plan to, instead attacking out of turn. Very risky
  • fail to read them, but try to run away from or dodge the next attack
  • fail to read them, but try to double parry (not sure how easy this is on current patch)
  • equip a shield - a shield's held block is a good counter to feints, though feints can still be used against you if you aren't careful

see that isnt fun right?

People have complained about feints since Chivalry. You're right, it's not fun to lose and it's even less fun to feel like you lost because you were tricked. Feints trick me a lot, too, especially if I'm rusty.

The solution is to buckle down and git gud, be okay with blaming yourself for your weaknesses instead of the game. Feints may be tweaked slightly but they will never go away.

18 16
  • 27 Mar '18
 Underainy

How the fuck can you hear a guy grunt when theres 4 more that are fighting the same time and fire bombs thrown around you and maybe some smoke and even sometimes some throwing axes being parried,mate lets be honest it almost impossble to hear a grunt of a single guy when you're in a huge groupfight

Knight 1269 3811
  • 27 Mar '18
 Frise

Tryhard chiv nerd that used to love SoW vs SoW feint duels, and can read well in Mordhau here. I think feints are too prevalent in high level combat.

Notice how I didn't say broken or powerful, but prevalent. Any high tier player can read feints properly, which is why I don't think they're broken; But the most effective way to play is to feint. A lot.

It's just bland. You have a combat system that allows for so much creativity and expression, yet the meta relies on the easiest possible offensive move.

You see a top level duel and you won't be surprised. Feints and footdrags. That's all.

73 73
  • 28 Mar '18
 Tr1bal

wait until they say AAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH then you know its not a feint

Knight 528 3386
  • 28 Mar '18
 rob_owner

should make this more possible so running away is not the most viable course of action when you fail feint read

18 16
  • 28 Mar '18
 Underainy

@rob_owner said:
should make this more possible so running away is not the most viable course of action when you fail feint read

You see Chiv had are really shitty hitbox so your crosshair might have been on there head or something but in Mordhau the hit reg and the hitbox are way better so you cannot fucking dodge there attack like your Neo from matrix..