Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

high-level gameplay footage

Knight 292 904
  • 4 Mar '18
 GIRUGIRU

throwing this here incase anyone wanted to see what some sweaty tryhards played like

Count 331 1394
  • 4 Mar '18
 RingMaster

not saying the combat isn't fun
not saying the combat isn't skillful

but boy, at high level, (imo) the combat looks fucking retarded

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 4 Mar '18
 EruTheTeapot

Think so too but I guess thats bound to happen sadly

Knight 260 706

Ya it looks a bit weird, but hey thats "meta" for you. The new updates should rework the animations. Also early on in the video some random people join the server and you could hear a mic saying :0:48-0:55 "lots of people joining. Can't they just fuck off, can't they just fuck off and kill themselves". Whats with the level of anger towards random people in mordhau?

Count 331 1394
  • 4 Mar '18
 RingMaster

@MrGhostTheFlyingFlail said:
Ya it looks a bit weird, but hey thats "meta" for you. The new updates should rework the animations. Also early on in the video some random people join the server and you could hear a mic saying :0:48-0:55 "lots of people joining. Can't they just fuck off, can't they just fuck off and kill themselves". Whats with the level of anger towards random people in mordhau?

Damn, that looks bad.

It could just be out of context though.

214 412
  • 4 Mar '18
 Astonop

Also early on in the video some random people join the server and you could hear a mic saying :0:48-0:55 "lots of people joining. Can't they just fuck off, can't they just fuck off and kill themselves". Whats with the level of anger towards random people in mordhau?

I'm not sure about this anger to be honest. It's one of the things keeping me off multiplayer currently (along with the fact I suck ass against everyone), as you join a server and the chat is either radio silence or random slagging and insults. It seems that someone always has beef with someone else. Maybe because the playing community is so small that it's easier to get angry at the ones that do play with you, but most of it seems non-aggravated. It's not even banter or fight talk, it's just salt, racism and pointless anger.

Fingers crossed that things change on full release.

Knight 292 904
  • 4 Mar '18
 GIRUGIRU

the person that joined was mouzie, who was in the discord, so it was a joke

as for the high level gameplay "looking retarded", thats one of the reasons i wanted to post that here to see what others thought. I linked this video to alot of my none-melee slasher friends and they all had positive reception to the aesthetic of those fights but i guess not so much here

Knight 253 546
  • 5 Mar '18
 Gauntlet

The fights look alright, the issue is that most of the time is spent looking off-target (down at the ground or slightly to your target's side for corresponding accelerated and delayed strikes). It's a weird issue with real time strikes wanting to either be accelerated or delayed, but no real reason to try and keep your target centered. I'm not sure there is a way to make the high level meta revolve around a centered strike with the current system of timing based strikes. If it was more about angles it would make more sense for that so you can better see your targets swing angle & animations but then the attacker would still want to hide windups with torso rotation as much as they can.
I think this kind of gameplay is a resulting flaw of real time strike systems and torso rotations. Without significant changes to the base game the top end of gameplay is going to result in a lot of camera motion off-target as that is how you control your strike and when it will connect.

Overall a good video though, music is nice and the gameplay is high skill.

Knight 3313 6811
  • 5 Mar '18
 Bodkin

Tbh these look like the average everyday fights I have and come across when playing.

Fights like you see in Trix vids are pretty much 100% propaganda lol

Knight 260 706

@GIRUGIRU said:

as for the high level gameplay "looking retarded", thats one of the reasons i wanted to post that here to see what others thought. I linked this video to alot of my none-melee slasher friends and they all had positive reception to the aesthetic of those fights but i guess not so much here

Valid Argument
girugiru.png

Knight 445 1074
  • 5 Mar '18
 Knight Nicholas

@GIRUGIRU said:

Valid Argument
girugiru.png

Giru.jpg

Count 449 1186
  • 5 Mar '18
 Hadeus

Like Bodkin said, these are pretty average duels between some of us NA clans.

You got off some split second chambers at facehugging range which was nice. Id like to see more mind games though and chamber baits to throw your opponent off.

Knight 941 2569
  • 5 Mar '18
 Pred

@RingMaster said:

Dunno man, most of these duels are against Double, who seems to play a rather normal looking style and also Longword is a weapon which behaves in a pretty believable way compared to some of the biggest offenders like Halberd with its fucking ground stabs and side to side rainbow stabdrags. If this clip was the ugliest Mordhau has to offer I would say the game is in a good place, but there is much, much worse looking stuff out there.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 5 Mar '18
 Frise

I'm obviously not saying anything about the players because Giru and co. are obviously the best rn.

But you can see in this video that high level offense relies in 0 effort moves. Feints, delay drags and oh footdrags. Not the players' fault, because those are the moves that the game rewards the most. Z-Stabs, C-Stabs, Wessex variants, Morph side switches, underhand head drags, are all way harder to perform than any of the high level meta moves, yet they are way riskier and less effective.

And this is exactly how I play when I tryhard because I know that it's way easier and more effective, whilealso being simply boring relative to using a higher variety of moves.

Why should moves that require less skill be more rewarded and encouraged?

And no, I'm not saying feints or drags should be nerfed. Not at all.

Conscript 168 358
  • 5 Mar '18
 NikolaiLudovik

we  want  fights  to  look  like  fights

21 33
  • 5 Mar '18
 Clockers

@Frise said:
I'm obviously not saying anything about the players because Giru and co. are obviously the best rn.

But you can see in this video that high level offense relies in 0 effort moves. Feints, delay drags and oh footdrags. Not the players' fault, because those are the moves that the game rewards the most. Z-Stabs, C-Stabs, Wessex variants, Morph side switches, underhand head drags, are all way harder to perform than any of the high level meta moves, yet they are way riskier and less effective.

And this is exactly how I play when I tryhard because I know that it's way easier and more effective, whilealso being simply boring relative to using a higher variety of moves.

Why should moves that require less skill be more rewarded and encouraged?

And no, I'm not saying feints or drags should be nerfed. Not at all.

Best is Rag, and I’m waiting to see duels between Giru and Rag.

Count 331 1394
  • 5 Mar '18
 RingMaster

@Pred said:

@RingMaster said:

Dunno man, most of these duels are against Double, who seems to play a rather normal looking style and also Longword is a weapon which behaves in a pretty believable way compared to some of the biggest offenders like Halberd with its fucking ground stabs and side to side rainbow stabdrags. If this clip was the ugliest Mordhau has to offer I would say the game is in a good place, but there is much, much worse looking stuff out there.

Yea you're right there, i think i might be being too picky, if it is possible though, it'd be nice to somehow have the combat look as good as it does in the official trailers and Trix's videos, less jerky and more of actually looking at the opponent while still retaining the same skill level. But that might be a pipe dream.

396 454
  • 5 Mar '18
 JasonBourne

No idea why ppl disliking this. Its amazing gameplay and awsome to watch. And believe me, those drags look like "0 effort" when ur not playing urself, but go ahead and try it, ull see that its actually not easy to do.

Also the title should not be high level gameplay, but more like mid level gameplay. It was high level untill mouzie showed up.

Knight 21 56
  • 5 Mar '18
 Snowy

@JasonBourne said:
No idea why ppl disliking this. Its amazing gameplay and awsome to watch. And believe me, those drags look like "0 effort" when ur not playing urself, but go ahead and try it, ull see that its actually not easy to do.

Also the title should not be high level gameplay, but more like mid level gameplay. It was high level untill mouzie showed up.

If you showed up it would be on a beginners tutorial level.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 5 Mar '18
 Frise

@JasonBourne said:

You didn't get the point. Performing delay drags at a high level obviously requires good aim and muscle memory, but they're effortless compared to other moves.

It's just one movement compared to 2 or 3 movements in complex sidedrags which require way more precision.

I can do near perfect delay drags, anybody can, it's just muscle memory.