Mordhau

[Poll] Same side combos

Mercenary 218 541
  • 13 Feb '18
 Izıl

The devs already said they MIGHT implement this later, but i need your help and opinion. Also please know this is NOT "mordhau being like chivalry" propaganda. I'm just trying to demonstrate in hopes of adding these combos which falls naturally in the game in favour of creating diverse playstyles and more options. Let me know what you think.

Right slash to right overhead https://i.gyazo.com/10fef42cf1d4c44291bd6cdaa283cf31.mp4

Left slash to left overhead https://i.gyazo.com/36885c53b4a63b0c941b17ce189e74b8.mp4

Not possible in Mordhau:

Right slash -> OH combo locks you on left OH https://i.gyazo.com/e4ecf0c24f20a3c21fbec367ec395d2f.mp4

Left slash -> OH locks you on right OH https://i.gyazo.com/ff3cc83140deb02b9f58e62d779c93d5.mp4

Try them out?
Votes: 52
Knight 389 1542
  • 13 Feb '18
 LuxCandidus

The absence of same-side attacks has been a peeve of mine and by definition halves the attack combinations you can do. I see no reason to oppose it. It results in greater variety of attacks, more opportunities to deceive your opponent, more dynamic fights, and less fully predictable attacks. Include it.

Knight 7 9
  • 13 Feb '18
 Njall

Yes. Like why the f.... not?

Duke 2264 3998
  • 13 Feb '18
 Huggles

I'm on board with this. Tho it is somewhat possible to do this with recovery skipping on successful hits, having a fully animated combo would be really cool and again add to more ways to deceive your opponent/more unpredictability in combat.

Mercenary 1785 6805
  • 13 Feb '18
 ThunderDuck

Damn, I never really even thought about this. I knew there was something missing!

Knight 887 2440
  • 14 Feb '18
 Pred

How is this going to work in 240 system though? OH and slash are technically both just "strikes" and you would have to be able to combo right slash to right slash or right OH to right OH.

Mercenary 1785 6805
  • 14 Feb '18
 ThunderDuck

Let us combo the same attack from the same angle like an absolute madman

Mercenary 218 541
  • 3 Mar '18
 Izıl

@ThunderDuck said:

Mercenary 1785 6805
  • 3 Mar '18
 ThunderDuck

@Izıl said:

@ThunderDuck said:

Like that, but slower. You can use the weight and momentum to do it easily in real life, like shown in the video.

1063 6045
  • 9 Mar '18
 crushed — Art

Agree this would be cool to have, cannot say if we'll have this in the game as it requires a significant amount of work that there is no time for right now, but maybe in a future update.

Duke 2264 3998
  • 9 Mar '18
 Huggles

@crushed said:
Agree this would be cool to have, cannot say if we'll have this in the game as it requires a significant amount of work that there is no time for right now, but maybe in a future update.

adding this in while getting rid of recovery skip would be ideal imho.

Mercenary 1785 6805
  • 9 Mar '18
 ThunderDuck

@Huggles said:

@crushed said:

By recovery skip you mean feint to parry, right?

301 874
  • 9 Mar '18
 Naleaus

@ThunderDuck said:

@Huggles said:

@crushed said:

By recovery skip you mean feint to parry, right?

No, he means the deceased recovery time after a successful hit if you don't combo.

93 101
  • 10 Mar '18
 TheShade

I really like using hit recovery. Plz no nerf.

Mercenary 218 541
  • 11 Mar '18
 Izıl

@Huggles said:

@crushed said:

Yea i guess

Knight 161 224
  • 28 Mar '18
 Q

For those interested, I compiled a list of all possible combos with key binds (opposed to 240 system) in Mordhau and Chivalry.

Combos [Final].png

Original Data Sheet Link

If anyone spots any mistakes please notify me and I will amend them.

The results show that in general Chivalry only allows same side combos, whereas in general Mordhau only allows opposite side combos. In Chivalry, the only exception to this rule is Stab, as there is no Alt-Stab in the game. The only other exception being same attack combos, such as Overhead > Alt-Overhead or Slash > Alt-Slash. These are possible in both games.

I think ultimately having less available combos lowers the skill ceiling, as it reduces the potential level of swing manipulation. The worst offender is not being able to pick between Slash/Alt-Slash after Overhead/Alt-Overhead or Stab/Alt-Stab. The difference between an Overhead/Alt-Overhead or Stab/Alt-Stab is somewhat negligible, but the difference between Slash/Alt-Slash is huge. It is also counter intuitive.

Duke 5435 12661
  • 29 Mar '18
 Jax — Community Manager

What? I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here.

In Mordhau there are no "overheads" or "alt" attacks, just strikes and stabs. The angle only matters for chambering, but the damage is identical. You then say that Mordhau only has same side combos, which is not true - in mordhau you can only attack left>right>left etc. You also forgot that you can combo into weapon throws/alt modes and kicks.

Knight 161 224
  • 29 Mar '18
 Q

@Jax said:
What? I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here.

In Mordhau there are no "overheads" or "alt" attacks, just strikes and stabs. The angle only matters for chambering, but the damage is identical. You then say that Mordhau only has same side combos, which is not true - in mordhau you can only attack left>right>left etc. You also forgot that you can combo into weapon throws/alt modes and kicks.

Maybe I should have made it clear that I am strictly referring to key binds, opposed to the 240 system.

I used the terminology Alt opposed to Left/Right for consistency across both games, and to avoid any confusion with regard to direction. The terms Slash and Uppercut were used for consistency, and being more intuitive. Basically sacrificing relatively insignificant details in order to aid the overall readability.

Left/Right Upper Strike in Mordhau basically functions the same as Overhead/Alt-Overhead in Chivalry.

Thank you for correcting me on stating that '...Chivalry only allows opposite side combos, whereas Mordhau only allows same side combos.' I got them mixed up, it is the other way around. It should read '...Chivalry only allows same side combos, whereas Mordhau only allows opposite side combos'. I have amended it.

I forgot that you can combo kicks in Mordhau. I will test them out. Maybe add to list. Projectiles, too. That would be harder to test by myself. Not sure how that even works, please explain. I understand that you can riposte off projectiles, and also hit them out of the air.

Duke 5435 12661
  • 29 Mar '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Ah that explains it then

Duchess 6836 9763
  • 30 Mar '18
 Sir Zombie

@Q said:
Thank you for correcting me on stating that '...Chivalry only allows opposite side combos, whereas Mordhau only allows same side combos.' I got them mixed up, it is the other way around. It should read '...Chivalry only allows same side combos, whereas Mordhau only allows opposite side combos'. I have amended it.

3rd time's the charm