Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

What makes stabs coming from above so weird?

Knight 941 2569
  • 10 Feb '18
 Pred

Jumpstabs or skystab drags, it oftem seems like they hit some invisible extansion of my body.

I thought it might be a FOV issue (maxed out at 130), but if it's the case something sould be done about it too, as it's probably going to be the one most widely used.

Below a few examples of the last frame alive and the first frame dead:

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

9.PNG

10.PNG

Video:

https://streamable.com/v2kzm

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 10 Feb '18
 EruTheTeapot

Immörsiön bröken

2428 4937
  • 10 Feb '18
 Maci

Skystabs are bloody annoying and you can't really see them coming most of the time either. I mean, even if you do, chances are your parry won't connect anyways.

Would really like something done against this, thanks for this great post showing examples, Pred.

Knight 1836 2232
  • 10 Feb '18
 Void

Weird looking move. They still get me from time to time.
You counter them with a rapid parry directed skyward.

Knight 86 133
  • 10 Feb '18
 Raegarth

Jump + stabs seem to get desynced to me

Knight 528 3386
  • 10 Feb '18
 rob_owner

its probably because i think the head hitbox is maybe ahead of where you placed your camera so it looks like it hits something before actually hitting you maybe

Knight 706 1084
  • 11 Feb '18
 VampireDuck

@rob_owner said:
its probably because i think the head hitbox is maybe ahead of where you placed your camera so it looks like it hits something before actually hitting you maybe

It could very well be this. Try putting your camera distance to 0.

Knight 941 2569
  • 11 Feb '18
 Pred

@rob_owner said:

7979fd14371e1c48cb71fc3d1db32311.png

Untitled.png

@VampireDuck said:

@rob_owner said:

It could very well be this. Try putting your camera distance to 0.

It is at 0.

396 454
  • 11 Feb '18
 JasonBourne

I think its the same problem as the "early hit" bug. As u see, the attacker does a stabdrag and on his viewpoint the sword as dragged at you, while your viewpoint the sword is still looking upwards.

It is the same with stab sidedrags too (infact with all attacks). Countless times I have been side drag stabbed, getting hit while the weapon is still next to me.

It makes it hard to read, but a way to counter is is parrying early. However this gives feints more power over you so beware. Chambering will do too if you insane drag your mouse towards it but its super hard.

Knight 941 2569
  • 11 Feb '18
 Pred

@JasonBourne said:
I think its the same problem as the "early hit" bug. As u see, the attacker does a stabdrag and on his viewpoint the sword as dragged at you, while your viewpoint the sword is still looking upwards.

I think so too, but it seems more common and even wierder looking or more pronounced in sky stabs.

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 11 Feb '18
 EruTheTeapot

I think it might be intentional for player to see they are hit. Devs might have wanted players to see that hit sparkles etc. when hit in head, like before their eyes or something. If I was hit in head and it didn't show it the screen, that might have confused more. Though placement could be adjusted anyway.

Knight 240 388
  • 11 Feb '18
 NitroSperg6K

All I'm seeing are a bunch of quality cinematic shots

Knight 5410 7408
  • 11 Feb '18
 Humble Staff

@BurritoWarrior said:

The rapier one looks flashy as fuck to be honest.

In case my input has any value, i also think they look a bit wrong.

Mercenary 1263 2303

It's not just these sky stabs, sometimes you can see a weapon pass in front of you (a slash) and it still hits. It sucks when you're relying on footwork a lot.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 11 Feb '18
 Huggles

@BurritoWarrior said:

I mean you're probably used to it like most of us, but the visual disconnect between where the sword is and where the blood splurt is coming from is pretty obvious tbh.

396 454
  • 14 Feb '18
 JasonBourne

I believe its because FOV is broken in Mordhau. With 130 fov, it seems like ur vision is behind ur hitboxes, and thats why it feels getting hit so early. in chvi I had like 150 fov almost fisheye and never had this issue.

Now I changed to 115 fov and the range feels much better and makes more sense now.

Knight 292 904
  • 7 Mar '18
 GIRUGIRU

Your eyes aren't the top of your head + netcode compensation, is what it looks like to me

Don't know if camera height can be changed easily due to the way 1p and 3p anims have to match

1090 6149
  • 9 Mar '18
 crushed — Art

The head hitbox was protruding a little bit too much, I've adjusted it which should help a bit with this problem. However, most of this comes from high fov and is not something that can be removed entirely.