Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Distinguishing Between Drags and Accels

Duke 5559 13285
  • 4 Feb '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Use footwork hombre

You can negate the majority of stab drags by moving away from their origin, it makes the timing very easy to pick up on

Knight 26 83
  • 4 Feb '18
 GucciLoafers

The point is, you could parry everything and for the most part you could defend yourself pretty well, but chambers are currently rendered useless, it is 100% a gamble if you are vsing anyone with half a brain that knows how to exploit the drags and accels.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 4 Feb '18
 vanguard

@Jax said:
Use footwork hombre

You can negate the majority of stab drags by moving away from their origin, it makes the timing very easy to pick up on

Read my op on the other thread. Stab drags aren't as bad as the others.

Knight 26 83
  • 4 Feb '18
 GucciLoafers

Main focus is on strikes in this post, you actually cant footwork away from them in medium armor.

Knight 292 904
  • 4 Feb '18
 GIRUGIRU

chambers aren't supposed to be performed 100% of the time, nor will the devs ever allow that to happen. Parry exists for a reason

if you stand still and try and chamber you're also just putting yourself at a massive, needless disadvantage. Footwork is half of the skill - matching the direction is very easy

that video dosent really demonstrate anything other than yes, you can't 100% consistently chamber someone who is freely able to swing manipulate vs you while you stand still

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 5 Feb '18
 vanguard

Not the point. I know you are not supposed to chamber 100% of the time, and I didn't said you should nor I want that to be the case.

I'm saying that, when you are supposed to chamber, if you try to read it, you won't be able to because the animations doesn't convey what is going on properly, thus making it a gamble or a prediction, which, imho, lowers the skill ceiling of the game and brings absolutely nothing good to the table.

The video only demonstrates how bad it can get, and you can be victim of a drag like that while footworking without any problem. As I said, these drags are easy to perform. Try it yourself, only do really subtle drags, you won't bypass parries, but you will fuck any chamber atempt your opponent tries to do, which will force him to parry or gamble to chamber, and that will make him vulnerable to your feints or eat a hit every time his gamble fails. These subtle drags are OP, and once people start doing it more, high level fights will boil down to stamina and hard-reading feints because chambering is a unecessary risk.

And this on duels, where you can actually pay attention to your opponent's animation. Teamplay should only make this question worse and even more of a unecessary risk to chamber.

I really don't get why is it better to have unreadable animations instead of readable animations but with a more restrict timing to chamber.

Knight 26 83
  • 5 Feb '18
 GucciLoafers

Why is chambering even a mechanic if it is a gamble 100% of the time then?

Knight 196 414

@GucciLoafers said:
Why is chambering even a mechanic if it is a gamble 100% of the time then?

wot

Knight 26 83
  • 5 Feb '18
 GucciLoafers

Sorry, badly worded. What I meant to say was. There is no justification for chambering being in the game currently if they want to go down the path that leads to chambers become obsolete and a gamble. Why even implement a mechanic that relies on luck? That defeats the purpose of a skill based competitive game. No one is going to chamber if its a high risk low reward.

3234 4264
  • 5 Feb '18
 Havoc

@GucciLoafers said:
Sorry, badly worded. What I meant to say was. There is no justification for chambering being in the game currently if they want to go down the path that leads to chambers become obsolete and a gamble. Why even implement a mechanic that relies on luck? That defeats the purpose of a skill based competitive game. No one is going to chamber if its a high risk low reward.

Also relies on you having >50 ping...

Knight 292 904
  • 5 Feb '18
 GIRUGIRU

You can just FTP out of a chamber if you fail to read it, not really sure what the issue here is. Try parrying more if you can't chamber well

I really don't get why is it better to have unreadable animations instead of readable animations but with a more restrict timing to chamber.

I don't know if you're trolling with this statement or you just have absolutely no idea what ur talking about

3234 4264
  • 5 Feb '18
 Havoc

@GIRUGIRU said:
You can just FTP out of a chamber if you fail to read it, not really sure what the issue here is. Try parrying more if you can't chamber well

I don't know if you're trolling with this statement or you just have absolutely no idea what ur talking about

Just cut out the middle man, don't chamber at all, just parry.

Knight 1836 2232
  • 5 Feb '18
 Void

@Havoc said:

Here is a nice marketing point.

"If you don't have >50 ping you don't stand a chance of becoming good at this game."

I hope it's not true cause we are talking about a big portion of the playerbase.

Knight 292 904
  • 5 Feb '18
 GIRUGIRU

No if u don't chamber at all then you will lose to someone who does. There seems to be a consensus that the more chambers you do the better you are at the game, sadly that's not really how it works due to the existence of other mechanics within the game that quantify the skill

As for less than 50ping, I don't really have any issues unless I go past 80

Knight 32 40
  • 5 Feb '18
 Fang

@Void said:

@Havoc said:

Here is a nice marketing point.

"If you don't have >50 ping you don't stand a chance of becoming good at this game."

I hope it's not true cause we are talking about a big portion of the playerbase.

Are you saying 50ms is low? 50ms was considered borderline bad in 2002-2003 when I got started on online games (CS specifically) on my 256/256kbps connection. If there are enough servers spread around the regions that don't suffer from FPS (server-side) drops everyone can get 30ms easily. No one should ever be balancing a reaction time and skill based game around people who are still using dial-up??

Sadly it's how things are and just becasue 0.5% of people can't have a stable low ping connection (to a server like 300 km away) doesn't mean the game should be 10-20% slower for everyone.

I haven't even played Mordhau that much but being a Chiv player for many years I can easily see how much more readable the animations are. You have to be quick and the meta is more complex than just parry/not-parry, but no-one here is physically that much faster that they have would have an advantage, it's just a question of practice.

If you want i-frames and telegraphed animations with big anime power-up windups for attacks/counters you either have to play something else or practice more to get used to the pace.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 5 Feb '18
 vanguard

@GIRUGIRU said:

The issue is apparently with your huge ego and reading capability

Great arguments man! I'm trolling and clueless, yeah, and so is everyone on this thread

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/12596/the-readability-of-drags/?page=1

You are probably the only dude who understands shit, how does it feel to be so special?

Knight 292 904
  • 5 Feb '18
 GIRUGIRU

Maybe if u spent as much time playing the actual game instead of shitposting the forums about l2p issues you wouldn't be mad rn

Knight 240 388
  • 5 Feb '18
 NitroSperg6K

mrw I see a thread starting with "is not actually possible due to"

Real talk just learn how to read windup and anims shitta

Knight 33 119
  • 5 Feb '18
 Jinno

This thread doesn't need to exist, drags and accels were a thing in chivalry, to an even more extreme degree and top level players parried them and read them just fine, to the point where if feints weren't involved duels could go on for 10 mins straight.

Drags and accels in Mordhau are more finely tuned, have better animations and are less extreme then they were in chivalry. It really is just a "git gud" type of deal, it might not be what you want to hear but seriously just get better at the game, top level people that I have fought in mordhau easily deal with footdrags and "instant" ripostes etc.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 5 Feb '18
 vanguard

@GIRUGIRU said:
Maybe if u spent as much time playing the actual game instead of shitposting the forums about l2p issues you wouldn't be mad rn

Yeah, probably Wizardish, Rob Owner, Das, Gauntlet, Stouty etc, all of us should stop shitposting and learn the game right. You are truly special aren't you Giru lmao