Jax — Community Manager

you guys don't sue this to map macros of emotes? smh

26-280-021-07

Knight 1269 3804
  • 9 Apr
 Frise

@Jax said:
didn't get good then lmao
to be fair tho 240 does take way longer to get proficient with but once you're comfortable with it, my point stands

Seriously? That's your response? 240 is objectively inferior to binds, no matter how good you get at it, the difference in timing and the inability to look completely freely while using the scheme will be there. hue get so good you defy reality lol ecksdee nothin wrong with our control scheme that most people end up abandoning

Duke 5477 13081
  • 10 Apr
 Jax — Community Manager

the first part isn't serious on that, chill lol

you know there's a reverse button on 240, hold alt and it reverses your attack direction right?
if a lot of people decide to switch to binds because they're more comfortable with it, that's cool, you do you
there's no reason to remove it, if you don't want to use 240 don't

Knight 1269 3804
  • 10 Apr
 Frise

The issue is that since it's the default control scheme, most new players will struggle with it, learn it, to then realize that it's objectively inferior to binds when they wish to play competitively and either have to switch to binds, or keep playing with a disadvantage.

529 278

@Frise said:
The issue is that since it's the default control scheme, most new players will struggle with it, learn it, to then realize that it's objectively inferior to binds when they wish to play competitively and either have to switch to binds, or keep playing with a disadvantage.

Still not a reason to remove it. Can we stop?

2374 4815
  • 10 Apr
 Maci

@Christian2222 said:

@Frise said:

But a reason to not default it or alternatively give the user a choice on first startup with pros and cons listed. 240 could be listed as more intuitive, but overall less consistent for example.

Knight 614 1111
  • 11 Apr
 Uncy

240 is godlike, you guys are simply used to binds from chivarly, id never want to go back to this cancer hence im using 240. If you want stick with binds but legit screw off with wanting to remove the 240 system from the game

Baron 15 30
  • 12 Apr
 MemeTurtle

Speaking of customization I would like to have the ability to have a hybrid system for slashes. Use mouse direction to determine from which side a slash is coming(similar to how stabs work) instead of using a separate attack button or modifier button.

301 875
  • 12 Apr
 Naleaus

@MemeTurtle said:
Speaking of customization I would like to have the ability to have a hybrid system for slashes. Use mouse direction to determine from which side a slash is coming(similar to how stabs work) instead of using a separate attack button or modifier button.

Isn't that already a thing? Settings > Controls > Mouse X-Axis Flips Attack Side?

Baron 15 30
  • 12 Apr
 MemeTurtle

@Naleaus said:

@MemeTurtle said:

Isn't that already a thing? Settings > Controls > Mouse X-Axis Flips Attack Side?

Thanks. I didn't know that. But what I had in mind is to have this functionality on a separate hotkey. When chambering I generally follow enemies weapon so this system is beneficial but when executing an attack I might want the attack to come from the opposite to my mouse movement.

62 153

@Maci said:

@Christian2222 said:

@Frise said:

But a reason to not default it or alternatively give the user a choice on first startup with pros and cons listed. 240 could be listed as more intuitive, but overall less consistent for example.

A prompt with an official alternative scheme for binds would be a good idea.

I struggled with 240 for my first 150 hours (which I think qualifies as giving it a fair go) as I didn't really realise there was a workable alternative and 240 felt like the intended control scheme. I assumed that's what everyone else was using and thought it'd get better. The inconsistency and clunkiness of 240 was frustrating and just didn't feel fun to play. I imagine it would put off new players who might attribute that clunkiness and inconsistency to the game itself or assume 240 is the default way to play the game (e.g. because they didn't stumble onto a thread on the forums).

After a couple of hours using some binds suggested in this thread, the difference is like night and day. I don't think the instant action of binds gives much of a competitive advantage over 240 (although it is there and certainly is noticeable), but the consistency with which you can throw out the desired attack/chamber while also moving the camera is a significant improvement.

This isn't just a competitive thing either. I'm far from competitive - I am objectively bad at this game regardless of what control scheme I use - but I with binds I now don't feel like I'm fighting the control scheme as well as my opponent.

529 278

It sounds to me like they need to polish 240 so it's not '''clunky''' so far no one is even suggesting that so much as bitching about it's existence.

Knight 334 777
  • 14 Apr
 AngelEyes

There is no way to make it not clunky because the 240 of itself is not the problem, it's Mordhau's design. Face and Camera are one in the same no matter the mouse sense, opposed to games like Warband. Which is the reason we get to have drags in Mordhau.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 14 Apr
 Frise

@Christian2222 said:
It sounds to me like they need to polish 240 so it's not '''clunky''' so far no one is even suggesting that so much as bitching about it's existence.

Can you please stop whining without giving a single second of thought to what people are saying? You have so far contributed nothing to the discussion. If you're not going to read what people comment and be mature, then you might as well not comment.

Conscript 4546 6279
  • 14 Apr
 vanguard

@Christian2222 said:

Who is bitching about it's existence? People are just noting its disadvantages. No one is asking for it to be removed, that would be fucking stupid.

You know what else is fucking stupid? To require 150h+ to be confortable with simple attack imput. I have 300h + with the 240 system only and still not confortable with it. Most people will play this game for 20h and go to the next new shinny thing in the market, making the 240 system the default is just bad imo, it's asking to have 189243718974 reviews on steam saying the game is unresponsive or with unpolished control scheme.

Let's not even mention the TK fuckfest Frontline will be if everyone has 240 as a default imput mode + little circle on the ground as the objective. Recipy for a clusterfuck.

There is no reason to remove it, but there is no reason to make it the default control scheme either.

529 278

@Frise said:

@Christian2222 said:

Can you please stop whining without giving a single second of thought to what people are saying? You have so far contributed nothing to the discussion. If you're not going to read what people comment and be mature, then you might as well not comment.

I could give the same advice to 95% of the people on here who reply to my posts.... double standards, hypocrites.

Mercenary 178 613
  • 16 Apr
 Stauxie

I think introducing new players to two suggested basic control schemes can allow them to understand that there are different ways to play the game. It can be on their first launch of the game.

"Here are the two basic control schemes that can be utilized on the battlefield."

They don't have to select binds or 240 and keep to that control scheme, but they will know of its existence and slowly figure out what they want to use from that point forward.

There is a lot of talk about inconsistencies of 240, but it just isn't that bad to me. I can't tell if 240 is ugly to look at because I'm one of the, like, 3.5 players that use it NA. Again, binds may be objectively better on paper, but in practice it just doesn't account for a majority of the skill that comes in this game.

The only inconsistency that I can show is a 1 pixel direction change that I have to try to reproduce.
https://streamable.com/l85f2