Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Great Patch.. finally

1920 968

This is the first patch and the first time, where the game actually feels playable for me. It finally feels like where I attack matters, and I can finally pressure opponents without being forced to use feints. It feels a lot more like Chivalry now, which is a really-really good thing. Footwork seems as relevant if not more relevant now, than in Chivalry.

Please keep going in this direction.

All I ask for now is a Jedi knight academy control scheme, or the option to have Chivalry like attack patterns, and the game should finally be fully playable.

I'm honestly disappointed, that it took you guys this long to get to this point. Even though many of us have been telling you that this is what you should've been doing from the very beginning.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 10 Jan '18
 Huggles

Really? I think the patch is def an improvement and a step in the right direction but it really isn't that dramatic of a change at all imho. Really all that got fixed were the completely bullshit parries. It still positioning and aim still don't really matter as much as it should and leg drags + off screen drags are still encouraged/meta.

I like the direction but not as enthusiastic for such a long wait amounting to such minuscule changes.

Game also still suffers from pacing problems.

1920 968

@Huggles said:
Really? I think the patch is def an improvement and a step in the right direction but it really isn't that dramatic of a change at all imho. Really all that got fixed were the completely bullshit parries. It still positioning and aim still don't really matter as much as it should and leg drags + off screen drags are still encouraged/meta.

I like the direction but not as enthusiastic for such a long wait amounting to such minuscule changes.

Game also still suffers from pacing problems.

I think I see what you're saying Huggles.. It's just for me, this game has been in a completely unplayable state since release. So something like this, even though probably small, makes a world of a difference, for me.

Knight 627 2068
  • 10 Jan '18
 LuxCandidus

Huggles is right that the changes are negligible compared to how long the patch took. I have felt the same way about the last few patches. I am curious what percentage of that time was spent on coming up with these changes versus what percentage was spent on their implementation.

But to know the developers continue heading in the right direction, and consider even off-screen drags something to be avoided is a comfort. Keep up the good work.

Baron 1647 5234
  • 10 Jan '18
 Lincs

@LuxCandidus said:
Huggles is right that the changes are negligible compared to how long the patch took. I have felt the same way about the last few patches. I am curious what percentage of that time was spent on coming up with these changes versus what percentage was spent on their implementation.

But to know the developers continue heading in the right direction, and consider even off-screen drags something to be avoided is a comfort. Keep up the good work.

I imagine more of the dev team's manpower is being put towards more content/the upcoming beta, so minute balance changes like this take longer to push out than they normally would.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 10 Jan '18
 Huggles

@Lincs said:

@LuxCandidus said:

I imagine more of the dev team's manpower is being put towards more content/the upcoming beta, so minute balance changes like this take longer to push out than they normally would.

It's not really minute tho. The selling point of the game is combat. It's like why we play the game.

Knight 3313 6811
  • 10 Jan '18
 Bodkin

It should be remembered that the majority of the changes in the past were likely exploratory rather than fixes or improvements.

They were instead aimed at testing things out to see if the game would be better this way or that.

I do hope though that the majority of the development time is being spent on the rest of the game, I'd love to try out the bik mode and cancermancy this game will have tbh. As much as I enjoy the smaller modes and duels we do now, everyone loves an adrenaline-fueled clusterfuck every now and then.

Count 449 1186
  • 11 Jan '18
 Hadeus

The bolster in offense is very subtle, but noticable with drags.

Drags are better than build 12, but not as cheesy as build 11. This patch is a good balance betweeen the two.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 11 Jan '18
 vanguard

Just played, didn't felt any real difference in footwork tbh seems like it always was, even with the lightest build possible.

Count 449 1186
  • 11 Jan '18
 Hadeus

@vanguard

It still feels very similar to 11, but ive noticed the strike drags are easier to pull off than build 12.

And footwork should be necesarry to pull them off.

In patch 11, footwork was not needed to pull of a well executed footdrag in patch 11. It was as simple as turning your mouse mid release without [wasd] footwork, and land a nasty drag. (This is why you saw the sudden rise in 'good players' during this patch.) Drags were extremely easy to perform.

In patch 12, you needed to use footwork to compliment a drag. Like footdrags are not viable without them.
Patch 12 required you to footwork into the person while dragging it out, so it woud connect. Otherwise, it would just 'ghost' through someones foot.

Sellsword 792 2352
  • 11 Jan '18
 Goof

goofer.jpg

Watching Triternion release updates tbh

Baron 1647 5234
  • 11 Jan '18
 Lincs

@Huggles said:

@Lincs said:

@LuxCandidus said:

It's not really minute tho. The selling point of the game is combat. It's like why we play the game.

That's not what I meant.

These changes could be described more as fine tuning the combat instead of radically changing it, which I'm sure they don't have a lot of time to think about when they've got so much content to push out soonish.

Title
Votes: 5
Duke 5558 13284
  • 11 Jan '18
 Jax — Community Manager

I'm honestly disappointed, that it took you guys this long to get to this point. Even though many of us have been telling you that this is what you should've been doing from the very beginning.

lol make it yourself man

@Huggles sure it's not like they shat out the animation update and perfectly balanced everything, and yeah I'll agree it's not what I'd call a "revolutionary" patch, but it's still definitely an improvement. Also keep in mind that while it took like 20 days there was also Christmas and New Year's during that time, the devs are people too (and need some time off tbqhimho)

Knight 697 1611
  • 11 Jan '18
 das

Also keep in mind that while it took like 20 days there was also Christmas and New Year's during that time, the devs are people too (and need some time off tbqhimho)

wtf are we doing with our lives

Baron 583 973
  • 11 Jan '18
 lash

yes very gud patch indeed, although backswings are little relevant compared to tetris and still no double KOs which would definitely make the game feel more like bullshit reskin of some old unfinished and dead game which would be good becouse the stars showed me

4 0
  • 11 Jan '18
 ℕℝFridgeFace

What are the meanings behind the terms tetris and double KO?

Baron 583 973
  • 12 Jan '18
 lash

Oh.. I just thought that saying something like "it's becoming more like chiv which is a good thing" was really not something that should be spoken.

So I commented this random thing.

For the double KO... it has become a little meme here becouse this dude named ANALGRINDER really fought for it and considered it a mechanic that should be present, and he kept fighting for it even though the entire forum was pretty much against it. I do admire his persistance but it was a bad idea.

29 50
  • 12 Jan '18
 coo_snake

Because you still need an explanation, from what I understand double K.O. is when both players kill each other at the same time in a duel

Baron 1647 5234
  • 12 Jan '18
 Lincs

@coo_snake said:
Because you still need an explanation, from what I understand double K.O. is when both players kill each other at the same time in a duel

Yes. In chivalry it was called hit trading, and was widely condemned as a shit mechanic. That's why it was never added to Mordhau, and why nobody could take ANALGRINDER seriously.

Knight 1836 2232
  • 12 Jan '18
 Void

Chiv had hit trading, but it wasn't possible for 2 combatants to kill each other simultaneously, which is what double K.O is.
Anyway, both are equally bad ideas, but ANALGRINDER can enjoy the double K.O experience as archer vs archer.