Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Alpha Build #13 Discussion Thread

105 685
  • 10 Jan '18
 Spook — UI

Here's the patch notes: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/10158/changelog-thread/

What do you guys think of the changes? Discuss them here!

105 685
  • 10 Jan '18
 Spook — UI

This topic has been pinned.

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 10 Jan '18
 ThunderDuck

Thank god for Shortspear nerf

Duke 356 384
  • 10 Jan '18
 AFluffyKnight

You can now parry if you hit the world after hitting someone

THANK SWEET FUCKING JESUS

Baron 134 315
  • 10 Jan '18
 2cool2care

The last patch has introduced a few new mechanics which have led to defense in Mordhau being stronger than ever, as
well as being easier than ever. We feel like this has led to a more boring and less fun meta than previous versions

Yes i'm glad you realised it and keep on balancing things, thx for update

Knight 65 192
  • 10 Jan '18
 TheArtOfReason

I gladly welcome the active parry and riposte feint nerf.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 10 Jan '18
 Huggles

The patch doesn't feel as significant as I was led to believe. Almost everything that was changed is an improvement but the changes were pretty minimal. Riposte feints aren't as cheese and active parry isn't as stupid. Almost everything else feels more or less the same.

My biggest problem with the game hasn't really been addressed. The curve is still really bad and encourages off-screen drags and visually jarring crouch leg hits. At the same time tracers are still too restricting. These fundamentals really make for awkward gameplay imho.

This patch seems more of a refinement on patch 12 and a really tiny nerf to defense rather than the complete departure from patch 12 I was expecting.

3 0
  • 10 Jan '18
 FdMSpartacus

Reduced strike attack angling curve to 33% (from 50%)
what is this?

Duke 2266 4010
  • 10 Jan '18
 Huggles

Really just not enough of a change from patch 12. Meta feels identical but it comes down to stamina less. These changes were too tiny. Tracers desperately need to be changed.

Knight 941 2569
  • 10 Jan '18
 Pred

I can't parry combos after getting hit. Pressing RMB does nothing.

Duke 5558 13284
  • 11 Jan '18
 Jax — Community Manager

It's a good patch imho

gj guys
a few bugs on the new map but it's pretty damn good, gameplay wise and visually

changes to the combat feel pretty dang nice as well, I'll be putting some big boi hours in tomorrow and give a more proper review :)

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 11 Jan '18
 vanguard

Yeah I need to play more as well, but as a first impression, the new overhead tracer is great, the new map looks so good it isn't even funny and the bots behave rather funny on it lol.

The footwork changes, I haven't really felt them. Seems like it always was, but might be me needing to put more hours in it to see how goes.

The new customization things all look amazing, really good job guys.

Knight 941 2569
  • 11 Jan '18
 Pred

I don't understand why devs would want to buff footwork as stated in the change log (or why there were a few people here who complained about it being too weak).

1. Group fights are already primarily running around in circles like crazy.

2. With Mordhau's turncaps, clunky controls, side and leg hits getting buffed and footwork being so fast, it feels like the biggest part of the game for me is chasing people with my camera and trying to not hit air*.

(* Except stabs, you want to stab air with them. Seriously, the game right now is all about stabbing air.)

Duke 5558 13284
  • 11 Jan '18
 Jax — Community Manager

they nerfed footwork
mainly focused around being able to sprint and run in circles really fast, sprint re-accel is less dramatic

Knight 41 35
  • 11 Jan '18
 Fürst von Butz

Good patch, great work!

I love Tourney, beautiful map. My only critique right now would be the lighting inside the spawns, which makes it hard to discern between teammates and foes.

There seems to be a new bug where weapons go right through enemies without doing any damage/flinch. I had it happen to me on different occasions while playing today - I'd say like 5-6 times. Other people reported the same in chat.

Knight 627 2068
  • 13 Jan '18
 LuxCandidus

The game feels closer to as it should be. Whenever a patch makes people feel that way it is so very exciting.

With that said:

• Stop buffing feints you psychopaths.
  • Fix stab drags. You have done nothing to change them even slightly.
  • Eliminate instant attacks.
Knight 697 1611
  • 13 Jan '18
 das

The accels are the main problem. If accels weren't so instant, then feints and drags would be way less scary because you could afford to be patient enough to actually wait for them.

Will the upcoming new animations fix them? Or is number tweaking intervention going to be needed in conjunction with that? If so, by how much? Or maybe the true problem is that attacks aren't telegraphed enough/are way too impossible to read because people can turn way too much during attacks (i.e. them looking down while winding up isn't a committal, they can still turn up and do a drag instead and you wouldn't be able to tell).

Nobody really hard reads both accels and drags. The guys you see chambering the instas, if you drag them with that same attack, they'll FTP in reaction. If they try to read and chamber your drags, your instas will start hitting them cause now they're guessing wrong.

I mean, people will argue that you need some degree of unreadability because otherwise everything will be chambered, .: therefore, accels that hit you super fast are okay (seriously, somebody record it, seems like the last frame before you get hit has their weapon still quite far from you).

I've started using Zwei a lot so I know all about being unable to punish feints. Even so, with some patience, I don't find them to be unbeatable/free hit for the enemy. You have to kind of know your limits depending on the weapon matchup. Flash feints cannot be punished with a Zwei, but they're pretty easy to read. Normal feints are gonna have a very tight window in Zwei vs Longsword, you have to basically attack ASAP and accel it. Since you're using a Zwei in the first place, you should also be spacing as best as you can so you have more time to "buy" space before committing to a chamber/parry attempt as you try to read. Feints feel relevant once again at a high level, I can understand why the devs brought stuff like riposte feint back.

Knight 941 2569
  • 13 Jan '18
 Pred

@das said:
The accels are the main problem. If accels weren't so instant, then feints and drags would be way less scary because you could afford to be patient enough to actually wait for them.

Accels and animations are a huge problem here (90 degree turn accel headbob combo feints ftw) so that maybe fixed in the future but even without that, the overall feint balance is just a borked mess now.

• Some weapons' feints are practically unchamberable. Feints were supposed to be countered by chambers while against something like Rapier or Bastard Sword they might "counter" actual attacks to some degree (as for every other weapon), but not feints. You will be able to chamber them sometimes, but sometimes = shit.

• I don't know why "baiting chambers" is supposed to be a thing at all. It was mentioned by devs in one of the logs, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be a "mechanic". It again turns out that with some weapons you can "bait" chambers all the time without even knowing you are "baiting" anything, because people won't be able to chamber your feints anyway. This leads to a retarded gameplay where people turn into bots after equipping Rapier and mindlessly spam feints and immediately attack regardless of what the opponent is doing. On the other hand slower weapons do not really have way of "baiting" chambers.

• Riposte feint - I've caugth players much better than me with it multiple times and had it punished exactly one time. This was done with Bastard Sword, so most likely was just a gamble, as many people using BS just employ a tactic of attacking at all times possible. Not sure if mechanics like this raise the skill gap or actually lower it, since a much worse player has a reliable way of catching a much better player with it.

• Flinch after getting hit forces you to read facehug combo feints every time because you can't chamber (that is without the parry flinch bug introduced in patch 13, where you don't have to read because your parry will not register anyway). This is actually worse than Chivalry now, as in Chiv you could at least semi-reliably kick them away in this scenario.

Knight 162 231
  • 14 Jan '18
 Q

Initial impression after about 30 minutes of gameplay.

Really like the feel and direction of this patch so far. Combat feels less clunky, especially team fights. Combat feels faster paced and more fluid, and in turn more fun to play.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 14 Jan '18
 Huggles

^ ya I can't argue with that at all. This patch is miles above patch 12 which was shit in everyway, but I still feel like the game could be more fluid with more changes to eliminate some of the awkward pauses in combat.

If combo speed is buffed more, lunge is significantly nerfed, and bubble is reduced I think teamplay will be smoother and 1vx will be more possible.

Lunge rapes footwork atm, slow combos severely limit 1vx potential, and bubble makes 1 handers almost worthless. Did you know that if you crouch lean back with bubble atm you literally cannot be headshot by half the 1 handers in this game? Crazy tbh. Bubble also makes it much harder to get to peoples sides.