Mordhau

The difference between Tabards and Surcoats

Knight 1164 2254

There has been confusion as to the difference previously, even from myself sometimes. However these listed below are correct.

These are tabards
Shorter than knee length
Open at the sides, sometimes tied shut. Closed at the front.
Notice how they are generally worn with or over what would be considered heavy armor

These are surcoats
Shin length
Slit in the front and back for riding horses, and closed at the sides.
Notice how they are worn with or over what would be considered medium armor.

What we have right now are the heavy tabard and the chainmail tabard.

The heavy tabard is super thick and looks ugly and uncomfortable over plate armor and the longer you look at it the worse it looks.
Not to mention it's open at the sides, slit open at the front, but completely closed at the back.
It's not a tabard, it's not a surcoat. It's an ugly joke. Completely change, or remove it.

The chainmail tabard honestly just looks bad and isn't a tabard either. It's super thin widthwise across the body and has weird physics.
It's also literally just copied from world of warcraft and does not fit mordhau.
Change or remove it.

Heavy tier should have a tabard

Medium tier should have a surcoat

TLDR, REE UR ARMOR IS WRONG FIXIT

Baroness 174 183
Knight 1164 2254

More tabards

Another surcoat

Baroness 484 1366

Tim is the autist we need, but is he the autist we deserve?

Mercenary 1984 3396

@arr0wmanc3r said:
Tim is autist

r00d

Duke 6717 9328
  • 5 Jan
 Sir Zombie

@EruTheTeapot said:

@arr0wmanc3r said:
Tim is autist

r00d

correct tho :^)

Knight 1590 2556
  • 5 Jan
 Runagate

Tim you good man, now that I know the truth it won't stop bothering me. There's something about the current armours that looks just slightly too unhistorical to not bother me.

Max pls fix

350 573

Yessssssss more tabards/surcoats

Mercenary 868 1528

I don't know about anyone who doesn't want more of these... devs plz

Knight 1164 2254

Again, it's less about getting more of them, and more about getting them properly created for the proper armor tiers.

The "tabards" we have right now aren't tabards, nor are they surcoats.
We don't have any in the first place.

Knight 1690 2000
  • 6 Jan
 Void

Tabards and surcoats are awesome. I wear the one that's in the game right now and I don't really have a problem with it, but it would be great if we had more of them.

Knight 160 358
  • 7 Jan
 Iodine

I agree with this completely and actually asked maxilator about it once on a server.
He said the original tabard (See; any old mordhau pre-alpha screenshots) was "ugly", and elweb changed it to what we now have; the "Tabard".

Knight 1164 2254

This is all you need to do to the heavy tabard to make it an actual tabard. Just shorten it.
It's already open at the sides.

After this, you're free to make as many tabard variations for heavy as you want, on top of the hundreds of patterns they could have.

And that frees up the surcoat for medium so there's no "lookalike" making armor difficult to tell.

As such

Longer chainmail would also be appreciated

Duke 616 818
  • 12 May
 Stumpy

we need surcoats and mail armor.

Knight 31 68

I don't mean to necropost... but I'm gonna necropost. I feel this really REALLY needs attention. Have any of the devs acknowledged this?

Baron 2272 3167
  • 5 Dec
 Xekratos

Good necro though. At least it's worth. These things are something to look at. I do think the Maille Tabard looks like shit. We need a proper hauberk or shirt with a surcoat. Hell we need a proper Hauberk lmao. We also need a Tabard and we need to name them properly.

Sellsword 433 1419
  • 5 Dec
 Goof

The shoulders of the tabard and many other heavy torso armors look terrible and require the use of some type of pauldrons.

Sometimes I just don't want anything on my shoulders, but the eyesore makes it a requirement.

Knight 1590 2556
  • 5 Dec
 Runagate

Yeah everything in the game has, for some reason, to have an extremely ugly leather border that you can't even colour. It's neither good-looking nor historical.

Sellsword 433 1419
  • 5 Dec
 Goof

20181205_111133.jpg

This is what I'm talking about, the shoulders of the tabard are TERRIBLE

Knight 1590 2556
  • 5 Dec
 Runagate

@Goof said:
20181205_111133.jpg

This is what I'm talking about, the shoulders of the tabard are TERRIBLE

It does have those disgusting leather bits too.