Mordhau

What is your opinion on the state of Mordhau?

58 56
  • 4 Jan
 Tr1bal

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this because I might get told that these are old questions (and that I should use the search function) but I want to see what current players think... (I'm also not sure if this is in the right Category)

1. Do you think this game will be ready around March?

2. Do you think the core mechanics are good as they are or do they need an overhaul? Lots of arguments on what is good.

3. Do you like the face sculpting? I've heard it's not exactly the best.

4. Is the balance between realism and fun meeting your expectations? Metal plate being slashed through by swords. etc.

Tell me if not good, I'll remove thread :)

Also no poll because I want reasons dammit!

Knight 455 612
  • 4 Jan
 Uncy
  1. no, and no one ever said it will be ready on march

2. they need some minor tweaks, like repairing drags and removing the fucking hits which doesnt deal damage (forgot the name) rest of it like damage, and feeling is ok

3. well with face sculping you can make only mordhau guy with some details like beard etc. it will still be mordhau guy, weird or not, so we need more options

4. no one ever said that mordhau is realistic game

58 56
  • 4 Jan
 Tr1bal

The Kickstarter goal said the estimated delivery was March 2018 for release, obviously will probably change though.

Mercenary 1866 3089

@Tr1bal said:
estimated

Mercenary 444 523
  1. Probably not. I think they will prefer releasing late over releasing an unfinished game.

2. The core mechanics for combat are solid imo. It's a matter of tweaking numbers and balancing to get them exactly right.

3. As Uncy has said, face sculpting is pretty limited. Even if you change all areas of the face, you don't see much of a difference. Especially when zoomed out. Weapon and armour customisation is excellent though.

4. It's not realistic in the sense that it's not much like HEMA. I practise longsword myself and the only thing that you can take from HEMA to the game is spacing. Making sure you can hit your opponent while he can't hit you by using footwork, that kind of thing. The fighting itself does not mimic real life swordfighting much at all. To be fair, that would be extremely hard to do in a game as there are tons of variables.

Knight 291 1145

A great thread. I was thinking of making a questionnaire as well.

My estimation is May for beta and July for the game's release. It is based on the time it took the developers to hit the first milestone and the amount of promised features left to be implemented. It is possible beta and release will come later than my estimation, but not sooner.

2. Do you think the core mechanics are good as they are or do they need an overhaul? Lots of arguments on what is good.

Dragging is still being worked on, but I have faith the developers will please both those of us who would rather it be limited and those who do not want it to be too gimped. Feinting needs to be completely reexamined. Shields need to be changed in some way, and from what I have heard, the developers are working on this. Overall I am very pleased with the game and the prospect of this only being alpha still excites me.

@Lincs did a great job of addressing face sculpting and its flaws here.

4. Is the balance between realism and fun meeting your expectations? Metal plate being slashed through by swords. etc.

A great question. Yes, the balance between realism and fun is in a good state, challenged only by players who spaz out on purpose by repeatedly jumping, flailing around to make their attack hard to read, chain a feint after a morph multiple times or simply make their attacks absurdly slow. Strangely enough, I am not bothered by the players who run around unarmoured and armed with only a dagger, quarterstaff, or even their fists. It does not ruin my immersion.

2019 3606
  • 4 Jan
 Maci

No lol

1. Do you think the core mechanics are good as they are or do they need an overhaul? Lots of arguments on what is good.

Meh. What is there is okay, but heavily flawed. The combat needs a lot of changing, which is a shame because I thought they would have the core mechanics down by now. Animations need an overhaul, instant hits, dragging is a mess, chambers are hard and unrewarding and the list goes on and on.

1. Do you like the face sculpting? I've heard it's not exactly the best.

It's better than nothing tbh. Could use some more Head meshes, but aside of that, yeah, I do like it. Could also use some more stuff you can manipulate I guess.

1. Is the balance between realism and fun meeting your expectations? Metal plate being slashed through by swords. etc.

Yeah I think they did that pretty well. Still not a fan of blood coming out of plate, but that is how they showcase health I guess. I'd rather they do that with animations instead, or only show blood on non plated parts, idk.

King 3213 4078
  • 4 Jan
 Havoc

@Tr1bal said:
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this because I might get told that these are old questions (and that I should use the search function) but I want to see what current players think... (I'm also not sure if this is in the right Category)

No, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Core mechanics may need an overhaul or at least some fine-tuning

meh

Blades are a bit too viable atm, but otherwise with a couple of balance passes it will reach a median

Tell me if not good, I'll remove thread :)

Remuv

Also no poll because I want reasons dammit!

Count 188 262

@Maci said:

No lol

1. Do you think the core mechanics are good as they are or do they need an overhaul? Lots of arguments on what is good.

Meh. What is there is okay, but heavily flawed. The combat needs a lot of changing, which is a shame because I thought they would have the core mechanics down by now. Animations need an overhaul, instant hits, dragging is a mess, chambers are hard and unrewarding and the list goes on and on.

1. Do you like the face sculpting? I've heard it's not exactly the best.

It's better than nothing tbh. Could use some more Head meshes, but aside of that, yeah, I do like it. Could also use some more stuff you can manipulate I guess.

1. Is the balance between realism and fun meeting your expectations? Metal plate being slashed through by swords. etc.

Yeah I think they did that pretty well. Still not a fan of blood coming out of plate, but that is how they showcase health I guess. I'd rather they do that with animations instead, or only show blood on non plated parts, idk.

My opinions are his. I'd like to see a slider configuration for face sculpting in the future though.

Duke 2051 3255
 Huggles
  1. no

2. Define overhaul. Chambering is the only mechanic in and of itself I think needs more consideration outside of just stat tweaks. Mostly because it seems to ignore location. To chamber, an overhead all I need to get right is the timing. He can hit my other shoulder entirely and the chamber will still work. I think the timing is a little bit too unforgiving and the basic aim required is non-existent. This problem of easy chambers would go away if more aim was required. Combat wise, a lot of attacks for the slower weapons feel way too floaty. Like they pull their windup all the way back and the attack will sit in the air for a while. That is a huge issue and just shouldn't be a thing imho. Also feints play too big of a role atm for my liking. Really tho, the rest is animations. Animations feel very cheesey. Next patch will address most of my other complaints.

3. It's def not good enough, not what I would prioritize tho.

4. I don't really care about realism at all. The only realism I care about is the aesthetic feel of the game. Not the mechanics or overall gameplay.

Knight 2022 4316
 Survii
  1. No and that's fine. Better to release late with everything well done than early and have people buy the game, judge it, and never come back again.

2. Very good and satisfying, only change that needs to happen is open the floodgates to new players. Mechanics only seem "broken" at the moment because 80% of people playing are Chivalry veterans.
    EDIT: I'm saying this from a casuals perspective. I honestly am not experienced enough to say if the game is balanced enough for hardcore competitive gameplay

3. It's bad but who cares, it gets the job done. Even if it is a bit strange. Armour customisation is more important than face sculpting anyway imo.

4. Yep. People say it doesn't have to be realistic but I disagree to a point. Realism in terms of how fights actually look is more important than people think, if everyone was playing this game doing backflips etc. it would feel strange. So yeah, I think the realism vs fun balance is pretty much perfect.

Knight 761 716
 afiNity
  1. dunno
  2. For me personally the game in it's current state isn't really fun to play. I don't really like the 240 system and I also don't like binding 1000 keys for all possible swings. I'm still waiting for a system that is based on the strafe-keys instead of the mouse-input, which was promised months ago.
    The game is based too much on reaction while the footwork is way too limiting, it makes the game feel like a reaction test. The game is built around a dozen different combat mechanics but it still feels very static to me and often enough I have the feeling that I'm fighting the game and not the enemy player.
    Maybe I'm expecting a different game than what the devs want to deliver, but chivalry felt less limiting in many cases (and I'm not talking about reverse ohs and that shit).
    I think the way the devs go, squeezing as many different mechanics in the game as possible just to raise the skill-ceiling is a wrong step. If you want a high skill ceiling and variety there could be different options to achieve that, for example giving people more freedom in movement.
  3. its ok
  4. dont care
Mercenary 444 523

@afiNity said:

1. dunno
  2. For me personally the game in it's current state isn't really fun to play. I don't really like the 240 system and I also don't like binding 1000 keys for all possible swings. I'm still waiting for a system that is based on the strafe-keys instead of the mouse-input, which was promised months ago.
    The game is based too much on reaction while the footwork is way too limiting, it makes the game feel like a reaction test. The game is built around a dozen different combat mechanics but it still feels very static to me and often enough I have the feeling that I'm fighting the game and not the enemy player.
    Maybe I'm expecting a different game than what the devs want to deliver, but chivalry felt less limiting in many cases (and I'm not talking about reverse ohs and that shit).
    I think the way the devs go, squeezing as many different mechanics in the game as possible just to raise the skill-ceiling is a wrong step. If you want a high skill ceiling and variety there could be different options to achieve that, for example giving people more freedom in movement.
  3. its ok
  4. dont care
  • Doesn't like 270 system because to many attack directions
  • Mordhau feels limited compared to chivalry

???

I recently went back to Chivalry and I immediately uninstalled afterwards. What a shitshow that is compared to what Mordhau is already becoming.

Knight 761 716
  • 5 Jan
 afiNity

@TheKingInTheNorth said:

@afiNity said:

1. dunno
  3. its ok
  4. dont care
  • Doesn't like 270 system because to many attack directions
  • Mordhau feels limited compared to chivalry

???

I recently went back to Chivalry and I immediately uninstalled afterwards. What a shitshow that is compared to what Mordhau is already becoming.

Please read before you post

Mercenary 444 523

@afiNity said:
Please read before you post

I merely expressed confusion over your statement:

"Maybe I'm expecting a different game than what the devs want to deliver, but chivalry felt less limiting in many cases"

After you've just complained about the game having too many attack angles and mechanics. You also say footwork is limiting, when compared to chivalry and other comparable games the footwork is very extensive. What else is there to read?

What am I missing?

Knight 761 716
  • 5 Jan
 afiNity

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
What am I missing?

The point.
Do I really have to repeat that Chivalry is shit? Where did I say that the game has too many attack angles? Where did I bring a connection between attack angles and the term "limiting"? I said that some aspects of Mordhau feel limiting and that has mostly to do with the footwork and movement.
Please.

Knight 26 43
 Sutinen

@afiNity said:

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
What am I missing?

The point.
Do I really have to repeat that Chivalry is shit? Where did I say that the game has too many attack angles? Where did I bring a connection between attack angles and the term "limiting"? I said that some aspects of Mordhau feel limiting and that has mostly to do with the footwork and movement.
Please.

I agree, the acceleration to sprint and overall movement speed is a bit too slow.

Mercenary 444 523

@afiNity said:

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
What am I missing?

The point.
Please.

Fair enough, but that wasn't at all clear from your post. Which is why I asked for clarification, not being hostile or anything. My comment about chivalry isn't really related to your comment other than a mention of Chivalry made me recall something. Which is why I put it in a different paragraph.

Count 399 997
 Hadeus

1) Do you think this game will be ready around March?

Nope. Probably beginning of summer around may or june.

2) Do you think the core mechanics are good as they are or do they need an overhaul? Lots of arguments on what is good.

I am 400 hours into the alpha. The core mechanics are good! I can consistently chamber and parry most attacks. I have a few issues with a lot of the people here complaining about the game.

Alot of the people 'bitching' about animations need to consider some things.

1. is your hardware capable of running the game at 144 frames? is your monitor able to process 144 frames (hz monitor).

2. have you actually tried to adapt to the current build? Put in the practice to learn the animations?

3. do you honestly think Mordhau animations are bad? Go back to Chivalry and see for yourself. Mordhau is so much smoother! After 2.5k hours on learning janky chiv animations, Mordhau is a breath of fresh air.

If you said yes to the above and still think the game is that bad, then I really dont know what to tell you. Why am I not struggling?

That being said, I agree the game needs some more tweaks and weapon balances (warhammer, shortspear, cleaver are all broken atm). But saying EVERY animation needs an overhaul is not wise. Tweaks, yes. Overhaul no.

3) Do you like the face sculpting? I've heard it's not exactly the best.

Eveyone has the same general facial dimensions. It needs some work. We need skin tones as well. Customization is not bad but not impressive.

4) Is the balance between realism and fun meeting your expectations? Metal plate being slashed through by swords. etc.

Remember, this is alpha. The entire point is really for feedback and testing of the combat system. So in terms of combat, yes it is fun! In terms of content, no. It needs more content to keep a playerbase keep coming back for something other than duels. The best way to test mechanics, however, is constant dueling.

All in all, the game has so much potential. It is not perfect, but its foundation is solid. I am enjoying it.

Conscript 3830 4436
 vanguard

@Tr1bal said:

If by ready you mean full release, then probably no. But beta? Maybe, who knows!

They are very solid, it is a great game to play really fun. I just feel like we need something to make drags telegraph a bit more, idk though maybe if the drags were 100% readable then the game would become stale. But at the same time, I find kinda bullshit when I have to keep gambling if my opponent will accelerate or delay the attack, perhaps it is something wrong with the way I'm fighting, trying to use a lot of chambers.

The 240 system as well, it is a funny thing. I mean, I don't know really.. Jax said he could get good at it after 400hours, but I still think that needing all this time to master attack imput is, well, bad. Most of the people won't invest 400h in this game I think, they will play, see it is kinda unresponsive as it is now and then make a steam review. Most of the player base will probably be people looking for a fun, kinda chaotic medieval fighting game that looks and feels good to play casually, so it needs to be responsive for these people imho.

This is by far my biggest concern at the moment with the game, the 240 system.

Could be more complex yes. I don't really care though, for me it is good as it is now.

Yes I think it is in a good spot, feels good to play and it looks pretty convincing. I think the most important thing wouldn't be realism in gameplay, but realism in how things react to player actions, like idk, blood effects, decals etc, these visual things you know. Also sound effects, imho they need to be really realistic.