Mordhau

Some Idea about the Balance of Mordhau

Knight 222 187
  • 2 Nov '17
 REKTKWONDO

Hello, here all the good change I think the balance can get :

-A Little nerf on the Normal riposte speedboost ( Less speed boost )
-A Little buff on the Chamber riposte speedBoost ( More speed boost )
Atm riposte and chamber are closely the same speed that's why I ask for it.

-1hander nerf : Mace (less domage on cut) Axe (less domage on cut) Rapier and 1h Hammer (less speed)

-Kickstun against shield holding to allow fast kill against shield

-More stamina cost when feinting with a shield (+5 stamina cost) but shouldnt change anything for chamber feint

-Less stamina for Targe and Heater, -1 stamina for both shield when parry, we can sprint when holding targe and heater but not with Kite, that's why I'm asking for it. I main Kite cause it's badass, but if I really want to play serious I go heater.

-More aimful shield hitbox parry, atm it look like every shield get the same hitbox, and give us the same shield parry mechanic as Slasher where the shield "down" and not only the body when lookin down

-Fix the dynamic lock, we should be able to chamber opponent normal riposte or chamber opponent chamber.

-Give us a DYNAMIC FLINCH, to allow people to chamber combo Delay into Fast ( the only combo we cant chamber for no reason )
The flinch will depend on the speed of the combo and the moment you get hit by opponent release.
Like if you get hit at the start of opponent release you'll be flinch for 400 MS, but if opponent hit you at the end of the release you'll be flinch for 250 MS.

-Rework Messer : Faster windup but Slower combo speed.

-A little nerf windup speed on the hallberd, I know there'll be perk system, but there is no reason to use Zwei if hallberd stay like this, still with perk system. But we'll see.

-Nerf windup and release time of the Mordhau Grip (the best lowrange 2hander is a alt grip, mean no sense )

-Nerf windup of the Battle Axe ( It's to fast for a 2shoot body weapons, still with 10 domage stab )

-Nerf stab domage of the Sledgehammer, its not John Henry simulator 2017

-Something to chase and reach lighter armor. Atm there is nothing to reach someone with a lighter armor.

-Remove kick into kick, when opponent is close to a wall, you just can spam kick, its look broken, and you can hit opponent with kick like 3 time in a row before he counter.

-Fix active Parry with shield, atm with normal riposte its look like the shield hitbox do the active parry and not the riposte hitbox of the weapons like it should be, but with chamber it's fine. And I believe normal riposte active parry are fine without shield.

-Give the guy who defend and start the kick after, the initiative to riposte, kick vs kick shouldnt happen as a clash.

Tell me what you guys think about this, I believe those change can be really good, see you in game !! ;)

355 411
  • 2 Nov '17
 Ares

i agree with most of the things above.
-stunkick against holded shield parry or something like that is rly needed. a lot of people dont even want to fight against shield users coz they dont know what to do against them. => saw another brilliant idea and that was that you can combo against holded shield parrys and dont get interrupted in combo when you hit the shield.

-imo the messer does not need the changes, but what we REALLY need is a way to punish facehugging. The Messer is strong atm, coz its strong in a very very close range. maybe a faster kick with a tiny bit less range would help.

-the chamber riposte speed change maybe more for slashes than for stabs

=> very good suggestions overall just put my thoughts into it xD

Count 1452 3388
  • 2 Nov '17
 Smokingbobs

Looking good.

I was thinking about having raised shields getting stunned by kicks as well. Even though it might trigger my Chivalry PTSD, it might just work.

On another note: now that kicks don't play as big of a role anymore, it would be neat to spice them up by allowing a clashing exchange to happen when you block a kick and both parties attack right after.

Knight 52 119
  • 2 Nov '17
 MrRag

I mostly agree with everything here, but I find there are lacking points.
Having 140h now myself, I find I can do way more chambers than parries, even with drags, morphs and chamber morphs.

That raises a concern, how will it be when everyone has 1000h ?
In the end I mostly think that teamfights will be the pinnacle of skill, affected by very small decisions and being able to keep an eye on 2 or more enemies' actions.

I would like chambering to be harder, but not because of extralong drags, I think the angling is correct now, I would reduce the chamber window just a bit (25-50ms I'd say) but I'd like to propose a new way to morph; opposite morphing.

Let's say you make a Left Overhead, within its windup you will be able to keep on with the hit, morph into a stab, or do a Right Underhand -hence the "opposite" in the name-. The only problem I see with this is how it will look like, in my head it'd make sense if it'd also count as a drag due to how switching from those two hits would be like without it looking stupid.

I would also like to see chamber feinting more relevant against chamberers, so you can't just preemptively do the strike your enemy has feinted anyways, basically requiring some adaptation from the receiving end. Right now you can force clashes by chamber feinting and inputting an attack, which depending on your weapon, might be a good idea. If your weapon is EXTRAF4ST like a rapier, you might get free hits this way, but it'll be nerfed anyways.

My last point is damage values, I don't think blunt weapons should be that effective against low armour (eveningstar comes to mind), it leads to some players taking that as a main against anything.

Edit: forgot to say that I'd like shields to have some contextual buffs, one that I think would be nice would be to be able to throw a weapon while holding parry, and then be inmune to attacks while changing to their 3rd weapon, regardless of 1handed or 2handed.

Shields really suck in teamfights compared to a halberd or a spear, and are almost guaranteed to lose in a 2v1. This is purely speculative but yet an interesting thought, what if a shield would be able to lock their shield on a direction ? As in, they lock their shield in a certain direction, and then they are able to attack at 90º either side, they wouldn't be able to attack on roughly where their shield is locked at. I realise this would require shields to be able to switch hands when rotating cameras, and that animations would have to be inverted for one hand if they look to the left side, so I reckon this will never be implemented. This would effectively turn a 2v1 into a 1v1 if they keep the shieldlock to one enemy and duel the remaining guy.

Duke 2266 4006
  • 2 Nov '17
 Huggles

Forcing clashes is hard and if you can successfully do it consistently with a one hander, as far as I'm concerned that should be a viable tactic.

As for the OP, I don't think this many nerfs and stam tweaks are needed right now at all tbh. Chambers don't need to be super incredibly fast compared to riposte to make a difference especially because they aren't ridiculously hard to perform rn.

The only thing I really like here is the kick stunning held shield. But to balance this as kicks still have really good range, they should remove the shield raise/lower delay. I'd rather see it nerfed parrybox wise as opposed to stam wise. I also agree with the messer rework and dynamic flinch is something we should try but I fear that having too many dynamic systems will make the game feel very inconsistent and awkward.

Baron 291 224
  • 2 Nov '17
 Esa1996

Don't think chambers need to be faster, though I would slow down ripostes slightly. Kick stun shield is also a good idea.

Duke 2266 4006
  • 2 Nov '17
 Huggles

@kEsa1996 said:
Don't think chambers need to be faster, though I would slow down ripostes slightly. Kick stun shield is also a good idea.

I don't think parrying needs to be any easier than it already is. If they want to make the timing less harsh than they have to demand more from your aim.

Parry difficulty, while not ideal or consistent yet, is at a fairly decent spot in terms of fairness for noobs and difficulty for vets.

111 130
  • 2 Nov '17
 Bang

Why don't we keep it simple?

W,A,S,D, Shift, Space, Ctrl are all inputs too - we could put more emphasis on those.

Not everything implemented needs to siphon left hand movement into right.

Baron 291 224
  • 2 Nov '17
 Esa1996

@Huggles said:

@kEsa1996 said:

I don't think parrying needs to be any easier than it already is. If they want to make the timing less harsh than they have to demand more from your aim.

Parry difficulty, while not ideal or consistent yet, is at a fairly decent spot in terms of fairness for noobs and difficulty for vets.

Making parries harder in a horizontal line, perhaps a tad more forgiving in a vertical line would be very welcome (I'd much rather have a very strict horizontal parry and a somewhat lax vertical one than the other way around which is what it is now).

What I dislike about ripostes at the moment is that even bots occasionally do attacks that land on you nearly instantly and other times the attacks take figurative ages to land. TLDR; the attack speeds are too inconsistent IMO (Drags are a must but riposte accelerations are a tad too powerful at the moment IMO).

Knight 86 133
  • 4 Nov '17
 Raegarth

My opinion :

SHIELDS :
I agree with kick stunning against shield users when they're rising it. I don't like the idea that you can raise the shield on a side while facing/attacking another like Rag said. Plus i imagine that would be hard to implement. You can throw a weapon when rising shield by using the emote "facepalm" as we tried out with King few weeks ago (Considering that you would throw your weapon at a certain distance and not in a close range fight and that raising shield is to defend yourself from other players' throwings).

PARRY/CHAMBERING :
That's the big part for me. I try my best to chamber atm and unlike Rag or King it is still a bit difficult and risky for me. Considering Chamber is harder than Parrying both with 240 attack system and binding system as you have in fact 6 parries to master (Right/Left Overheads, slashes and underhands), i would give a slighter advantage to chamber so people would seriously start to play with them.
I do for example chamber right overheads well but i'm often being punished because the player parries and ripostes with a left overhead
(especially when i'm being facehugged).

Then I'm like "Ok, but if i chamber x or y hits, my opponent will run out of stamina". In fact, we found out yesterday that your opponent can strike with his fists and take his 2nd weapon allowing you in most of the cases one free hit.

So i would like more drawbacks for parrying or more advantages for chambering.

Atm I think the only advantage of chambering against a guy that only parries is chamber feint as they usually fall in.

THE REST :
I globally follow King.

Knight 292 904
  • 4 Nov '17
 GIRUGIRU

Kick shield stun is useless against competent players

Shield is broken RN because once you outstam him he still has initiative, and after then he can chamber with the ridiculously easy chamber windows

It still remains a low skill crutch but even worse so than chivalry as the parrybox is massive and swing manipulation is far weaker in Mordhau. If a shield player gets hit it's merely his own fault

When you knock the shield out his hand it should break and you should get a hit, none of this 50/50 bullshit that's going on rn still and scrounging on the ground looking for more shields. Cancer

Knight 222 187
  • 4 Nov '17
 REKTKWONDO

"Kick shield stun is useless against competent players"
Shield dont need nerf at "good level"

"When you knock the shield out his hand it should break and you should get a hit, none of this 50/50 bullshit that's going on rn still and scrounging on the ground looking for more shields. Cancer"
No it shouldnt break, and no you shouldnt get a hit. Just force the guy to parry so the shield user lose 2 slot weapons in a row. That's the downside with it.$$

Knight 365 628
  • 14 Nov '17
 Snake Skin

Tbh I've been thiking of a mechanic where you'd run slower if your stam was lower than say, 20. It'd be kinda neat bcuz whenever im fighting naked spearmen by the time they get low stam they just sprint away and I cant swing fast enough to hit them.
Ideally the redux would be lower the more armor you have.

This coupled with the chase mechanic from Chivalry would be even better.

Knight 1366 1850
  • 15 Nov '17
 Trevz TheCuz

Lol dem drags wuz dankxD

Knight 667 995

@Trevz TheCuz said:
Lol dem drags wuz dankxD

Yep =/

Knight 45 71
  • 20 Nov '17
 MexicanBatman

i just hate the riposte godmode

200 37
  • 28 Nov '17
 Kingindian

"BUT THE GAME IS DONE, ITS ALREADY DONE, WE DONT NEED TO PLAYTEST IT"

Conscript 4546 6277
  • 29 Nov '17
 vanguard

Hey I have a small idea. Ripostes gotta make some sort of sound, so we can identify them!

In chiv for instance, ripostes had no grunt sound, it was totally silent so you knew that it was a riposte.

I think sometimes I do make ripostes but I think I didn't, specially with slower weapons. That's because I use the 240 system, so sometimes I flick the mouse then scroll down to cut, but idk if I took too long to flick and attack after parrying.

Riposte sounds would make the game feel more responsive, with a better feedback of your input imho.

Knight 365 628
  • 29 Nov '17
 Snake Skin

I agree, clashes and chambers should have their own sounds (or lack thereof) in order to make them more distinguisheable.

@vanguard said:
Hey I have a small idea. Ripostes gotta make some sort of sound, so we can identify them!

In chiv for instance, ripostes had no grunt sound, it was totally silent so you knew that it was a riposte.

I think sometimes I do make ripostes but I think I didn't, specially with slower weapons. That's because I use the 240 system, so sometimes I flick the mouse then scroll down to cut, but idk if I took too long to flick and attack after parrying.

Riposte sounds would make the game feel more responsive, with a better feedback of your input imho.