Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Is anyone else tired of shields being OP?

Knight 196 414

Shields should be able to be used for strategic team play. Give us cool options to do shit like what Ramsay Bolton did to Jon Snow's army at Battle of the Bastards. SHIELD WALL.jpg

3234 4264
  • 1 Nov '17
 Havoc

As many pointed out.... shields are a straight upgrade to one handed with the only downside being punsihed for falling for feints.

That said... I don't want to see shields nerfed into a low skill ceiling peice of equipment only used by new players, and I have to point out that if your playstyle revolves around only using drags... it's your own damned fault for being a one trick pony.

27 23
  • 1 Nov '17
 Krtex

I always loved shields in games, but they are really not great to play with or against in Mordhau right now, they both feel underwhelming and incredibly cheesable at the same time. Personally i feel that having a shield should generally make you more of a support team role (dunno about balance in 1v1 tbh) - make you less dangerous but more survivable, to what extent depends on the size of the shield you take, but not to disrupt the flow of combat as much as it does now, for reasons others have stated. I definitely dont want shield to be a noob only equip, or to nerf it into ground.

What about adding something like a 'perfect block'? for example if you raise your shield just in time, the block would work like it does now (or slightly better), but if you raise it too soon and just keep holding it, the block would cost more stamina, or you cant riposte, or less lockout for attacker or something like that. It could make feints and morphs more viable against shielders, who would be more motivated to not just keep their block up all the time. So shields would give you the downside of having to use 1H and making you watch your stamina more, while the benefit would be a wider parry hitbox and more options against drag/morph/feint (tbh i feel like feinting is useful against shields now, but eh what do i know).

Also maybe when perks come out, shields could slow you down like a piece of extra armor? Maybe only when you have it out, so you would have incentive to put the shield away and grip the bastard sword with both hands or something

On a less serious note, i would love some kind of shield bash/shove, for example if you pressed F while having block up, you would do some shove with the shield instead of a kick. It would do less stamina and hp damage, but it would have a wider area of effect, so you could push away more than one enemy. But yeah thats just wishful thinking since i love shoves/knockdowns/throws in games. or with a 1H without a shield you could do alt-F to punch with the offhand for a quick interrupt, yeahhh thats not gonna happen lol keep dreaming krtex

Baron 7 7
  • 1 Nov '17
 ℳarz

Why i use a shield: 80+ ping it is very hard to see accelerations. Also drags are dumb.

-When a weapon swing can be either instant hit or 2 second delay.- needs to be fixed.

shields are easy to beat. just stam them out.

Count 3976 8339
  • 1 Nov '17
 TheDankestMeme

@ℳarz said:
shields are easy to beat. just stam them out.

and Watch them pulling another one out of their ass

Knight 125 169

@Peacerer said:
Exactly, i can't imagine all the melee 3k+ Chiv crybabies when archer's released.

Yup. Seems like the majority of alpha players aren't satisfied unless shields and archery are made completely useless when compared to 2-handers.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 2 Nov '17
 Huggles

@ǀǁǂÐƦ₳ƓƟƝƁƟƦƝǂǁǀ said:

@Peacerer said:
Exactly, i can't imagine all the melee 3k+ Chiv crybabies when archer's released.

Yup. Seems like the majority of alpha players aren't satisfied unless shields and archery are made completely useless when compared to 2-handers.

There have been plenty of ideas floating around to make shields more diverse, multi purpose, and on par with two handers in general. I am someone who actually wants to be able to use shields competitively and want to see them.

But they really are wayyyy too easy and strong right now, at least in a dueling setting. Plenty of reasonable suggestions have been offered, to think everyone just wants to nerf them into the ground is ridiculous and you know it isn't true.

Knight 292 904
  • 2 Nov '17
 GIRUGIRU

All shield needs is to be consistently punishable when you run him out of stam and it should be balanced

Targe, heater, kite and tower all need different stats, hitboxes and attributes

E.g. tower is useless for 1v1 but great for blocking a door or pushing into projectile spam. Targe should be a skill block/"Parry" shield with high Stam cost if u fuck it up and much smaller hitbox. Kite and heater somewhere inbetween

Count 3976 8339
  • 2 Nov '17
 TheDankestMeme

@GIRUGIRU said:
E.g. tower is useless for 1v1 but great for blocking a door or pushing into projectile spam. Targe should be a skill block/"Parry" shield with high Stam cost if u fuck it up and much smaller hitbox. Kite and heater somewhere inbetween

targe nedd a much MUCH smaller hitboxe and blocking efficiency, when i was against king it felt like i was in dark souls 3 pvp against someone whit estoc and havel shield

also we need a petition for tower shield, i want my trump meta

Knight 222 187
  • 2 Nov '17
 REKTKWONDO

"All shield needs is to be consistently punishable when you run him out of stam and it should be balanced"

Giru When you lose your shield you dont win any stamina, it give you one chance to chamber. But if you made me parry, I'll lose 2 slot weapons in a row, so yeah that's great like this. It need no change.

Mercenary 59 65
  • 3 Nov '17
 edwyn1

quadripple kick range versing shields and make it kick them from the lobby.

Knight 45 71
  • 3 Nov '17
 MexicanBatman

i use smallest shield and i think it require skill cuz it doesnt have to large blocking capabiliies of kiteshield but i understand how the large shield is a bit meh to fight atm but completly nerfing them to shit so they become shit like chiveraly i hope you thats not what you are asking for

i just hope they keep small shield like it is it require skill and every one so far that been complaing try pick up the smallest and just block as you think its overpowerd and you will see that skilled people arent gonna make it easy on you and if you dont addapt to blocking directional with it you fucked esp by lower swing and ye once you get gud with the shield it actualy becomes realy strong like it should so i dont see the problem

Duke 507 1200

You wont complain when you stop needing a shield to fight.

Knight 222 187
  • 3 Nov '17
 REKTKWONDO

"i use smallest shield and i think it require skill cuz it doesnt have to large blocking capabiliies of kiteshield but i understand how the large shield is a bit meh to fight atm but completly nerfing them to shit so they become shit like chiveraly i hope you thats not what you are asking for

i just hope they keep small shield like it is it require skill and every one so far that been complaing try pick up the smallest and just block as you think its overpowerd and you will see that skilled people arent gonna make it easy on you and if you dont addapt to blocking directional with it you fucked esp by lower swing and ye once you get gud with the shield it actualy becomes realy strong like it should so i dont see the problem"

False. The Kite (large shield) is the harder to play atm, you cant run when holding, and it hide your visibility, the targe is the most easy to play.

"You wont complain when you stop needing a shield to fight."
I dont need, its my favourite weapons, its exactly like saying You wont complain when you stop need a OP 2 hander to fight
Cause Yeah 2h was OP in chivalry MW and no one complain.

Knight 941 2569
  • 3 Nov '17
 Pred

@MexicanBatman said:
but completly nerfing them to shit so they become shit like chiveraly

I don't get why so many people keep repeating it was shit in Chivalry lately. This may be true for comp play where you are fucked without ability to 1vX but in vanilla it was super fucking strong in 1v1 against everyone who was not a 100% dedicated no-lifer. You got people who otherwise couldn't drag, parry or read feints for shit, let alone target switch or 1vX and they could farm 99% of people in pub duels servers with Norse or Warhammer + shield.

Knight 445 1074

I'm just hoping that shields don't stay as just a crutch for new players; I hope for them to be a true defensive tool to make people tankier and, of course, harder to kill in reasonable situations. However, I do agree with everyone that they do need a revamp to involve a higher skill requirement. In a traditional and literal sense, a shield is just a massive piece of armor that requires skill to make proper use of. Maybe even add some incentive to get shield brothers to bodyguard their injured teammates.

AND BY MY BEARD, FIND A WAY TO ADD SHIELD BASHING

monsterbash.jpg

Maybe not as a kick replacement, but more of a (lowlowLOWdamage and highhigh windup) high-knockback alt-button attack to replace throwing your weapon when a shield is equipped.
For those who think that not being able to throw a weapon with a shield equipped is retarded, how about tapping the alt-function-button for a shield bash and holding the button down to aim and release to throw (feint to cancel).
I feel like being able to knock back enemies like this would help shield players protect themselves and teammates better against facehugging and allow for better teamplay capabilities.

Knight 222 187
  • 3 Nov '17
 REKTKWONDO

Pred stop saying bullshit element, shield was the worst thing in chiv, in teamfight or in duel, every two hander beat shield by stamina in chiv.

Knight 941 2569
  • 3 Nov '17
 Pred

@REKTKWONDO said:
Pred stop saying bullshit element, shield was the worst thing in chiv, in teamfight or in duel, every two hander beat shield by stamina in chiv.

I specifically said I'm not talking about comp. Majority of players won't survive Norse feint spam or Warhammer trades long enough to stam drain shield enough times.

Baroness 6089 7050
  • 6 Nov '17
 Sammy

@GIRUGIRU said:
All shield needs is to be consistently punishable when you run him out of stam and it should be balanced

hey i saw u get fuckd by king, a real shit player hahaha xd

shields are for noob but i dont think they need a nerf to uselessness

Count 3976 8339
  • 6 Nov '17
 TheDankestMeme

@Sammy said:

@GIRUGIRU said:

hey i saw u get fuckd by king, a real shit player hahaha xd

shields are for noob but i dont think they need a nerf to uselessness

halberd too tho