Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Is anyone else tired of shields being OP?

Knight 222 187
  • 30 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

"update:
crushed: shields arent balanced yet, they will be soon"

Yes yes with a one hander nerf and a kick stun and it will be balanced. But no Bullshit mechanic who gonna destroy the shield just like in chivalry.

And it's not good to take only the point of view of a developer, developer made the game, they dont play it. Or at least, not as we do. ( Dont say bullshit about it, I know Crush since so long, He's a beast player, but he made Mordhau, he dont play with us so much, he cant train cause he need to work on it ) There's some player who are better than Crushed or developer at the moment, and we need to listen those player first.

Developer are here to made the game, Top Alpha player are here to make the balance. And player who dont play a lot are here to take fun. Everyone got something to do.

"when u all lack experrience"
Pinkie you're a bad player, so you shouldnt speak about the experience of other player, but better improve your skill.

Knight 57 63
  • 30 Oct '17
 Edmund

@REKTKWONDO said:
"update:
crushed: shields arent balanced yet, they will be soon"

Yes yes with a one hander nerf and a kick stun and it will be balanced. But no Bullshit mechanic who gonna destroy the shield just like in chivalry.

Stop begging like a homeless man, they know what to do better than you.

Developer are here to made the game, Top Alpha player are here to make the balance

Hell no, in your dream maybe.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 30 Oct '17
 Sir Zombie

Remember when alpha wasn't about balance

Knight 222 187
  • 30 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

Again this Bronze 3 speaking.

And yes, it's like this in the most successful competitive game, for example in Counter Strike or League of Legend, Pro player made the balance.

We can speak about promod in video game too, when Dev only listen themself the only way to make a good comp game, is to make a promod then listen pro player. And that's what happen if dev don't listen top player.

So yes what I said is true, if you dont accept it, if you just want a casual game instead of a good successful competitive game, just back to chivalry.
There in Chivalry, Dev only listen themselve and the majority of player (so all the lowskill) ohhhhhh what a wonderful game it was....

Duke 2266 4010
  • 30 Oct '17
 Huggles

Shields are simply not fun to play with or against because they completely bypass almost every offensive technique.

For shields to be fun to play with and against they need a hard tradeoff that distinguishes them from not having a shield.

I think shields should be for players who come from m&b and war of the roses who aren't in love with timing heavy combat. The tradeoff being that they have to aim more than a regular parry. I also very much like the ideas @bodkin suggested in his shield mechanic thread.

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/11190/shield-mechanic-improvement-ideas-from-your-friend/?page=1

Knight 222 187
  • 30 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

But why asking for 4 or 5 new mechanic with shield, when we no need this, and only some fix on some lil things ?

Shield is close close to be balanced as I said... So if you made 4 or 5 new mechanic who nerf the shield... It's gonna be useless, and one hander gonna be better than shield + 1H just like in chivalry.

Remember that the things Dev and player want is : 2h = 1h+Shield > 1h

And I take fun to play with and against shield, you're not alone in this world...

Duke 2266 4010
  • 30 Oct '17
 Huggles

@REKTKWONDO said:
But why asking for 4 or 5 new mechanic with shield, when we no need this, and only some fix on some lil things ?

Shield is close close to be balanced as I said... So if you made 4 or 5 new mechanic who nerf the shield... It's gonna be useless, and one hander gonna be better than shield + 1H just like in chivalry.

Remember that the things Dev and player want is : 2h = 1h+Shield > 1h

And I take fun to play with and against shield, you're not alone in this world...

Shields outright make most offensive techniques close to worthless. They don't need minor tweaks, they need an overhaul.

Count 3976 8339
Knight 445 1074
  • 30 Oct '17
 Knight Nicholas

@Survii said:
Shields are a good introductory tool for noobs. Pros with a sword will ALWAYS be better than a guy with a shield.

shield bro.jpg

triggered.jpg

1627 2898
  • 31 Oct '17
 Ranten

Honestly I don't support Survii in this. Most people want shields to be solely a tool for noobs who cannot block. I want to see the shield in the game as something that would change the playstyle but still remain a high-level weapon, just different and with different pros/cons

Probably the first time in my life I actually agree with King regarding that shields should not be nerfed to the ground like they were in Chivalry, because then they will turn out to be useless or SOLELY an anti-archery weapon. The 2H meta needs to remain in Chivalry, Mordhau is a whole different game. I want shields to be something high levels would also use

After playing with the shield for around 15-20 hours I've realised that shields are only OP in duels, because in LTS/TDM shields suck honestly - your reach is 3-4 times shorter than everyone else, you do less damage and sometimes are actually slower (the shield recovery time being the main culprit here) and the tradeoff is that you can hold parry. This results in a shieldman simply being a sturdy meatshield that cannot fight back due to its inferior attacking force

367 341
  • 31 Oct '17
 Peacerer

@Ranten said:
...shields are only OP in duels, because in LTS/TDM shields suck honestly - your reach is 3-4 times shorter than everyone else, you do less damage and sometimes are actually slower...

Playing with a shield for about 60 hours my observations are exactly the same.

Also the same as you i want shields to be viable and a constant through all levels and aspects of game (for new comers up to the pro elitists). I want as much diversity as possible in Mordhau. I want ridiculous long 2h swords, i want spears that can be thrown, i want shields, all kinds of shields, i want tower shields where only the best aiming archers will be possible to find that small undefended gap to lead their arrows right into the enemy's uncovered spot, heck i want we could throw stones, i want dragons...etc Well, yeah, i exaggerated but you know what i mean. Don't limit yourself with the "three most OP 2h weapons" and that's it.

Count 671 1131
  • 31 Oct '17
 Zexis

@Huggles said:
Shields outright make most offensive techniques close to worthless. They don't need minor tweaks, they need an overhaul.

I like the idea of shields as a defensive upgrade, not a sidegrade noob crutch. They should have downsides but not consequently reduced to relatively equal footing with parrying.

Knight 941 2569
  • 31 Oct '17
 Pred

@Ranten said:
After playing with the shield for around 15-20 hours I've realised that shields are only OP in duels, because in LTS/TDM shields suck honestly - your reach is 3-4 times shorter than everyone else, you do less damage and sometimes are actually slower (the shield recovery time being the main culprit here) and the tradeoff is that you can hold parry. This results in a shieldman simply being a sturdy meatshield that cannot fight back due to its inferior attacking force

OP in 1v1 is still a big deal tbh. With 1v1 matchmaking you will end up with a ton of low self esteem crutchers farming everybody to no end - same as you could do in Chiv.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 31 Oct '17
 Huggles

@Zexis said:

@Huggles said:

I like the idea of shields as a defensive upgrade, not a sidegrade noob crutch. They should have downsides but not consequently reduced to relatively equal footing with parrying.

They're not though. Under my idea they would take equal skill to use but would be easier in one way and harder in another. To me that is the entire idea behind having trade offs and different playstyles.

Shields should be for people who are really aware of their opponents attacks and have good footwork and situational awareness. However, the upside is that you don't need the reaction time of a demi-god as you don't really have to time with shield. This can allow some of the older folks or just people who are a bit slower but have good game sense, strategy, etc to remain competitive while not being a crutch. I feel this is the only way to balance shields while keeping them unique and fun at the same time.

Knight 2307 4907
  • 31 Oct '17
 Survii

@Ranten said:
Honestly I don't support Survii in this. Most people want shields to be solely a tool for noobs who cannot block. I want to see the shield in the game as something that would change the playstyle but still remain a high-level weapon, just different and with different pros/cons

Probably the first time in my life I actually agree with King regarding that shields should not be nerfed to the ground like they were in Chivalry, because then they will turn out to be useless or SOLELY an anti-archery weapon. The 2H meta needs to remain in Chivalry, Mordhau is a whole different game. I want shields to be something high levels would also use

I actually hadn't thought about it like that. A change to make them useful to high end players would also be good.

42 54
  • 31 Oct '17
 Sverth

How to balance shields :

1. Remove the delay its not as fun to play with a shield because they have a built in delay
    2.Make shields break after 4-5 blocks. It doesn't make sense for shields to be flying away anyway when out of stamina since all shields in the game are strapped to the forearm. Maybe if they were Boss held shields
Duke 5558 13284
  • 31 Oct '17
 Jax — Community Manager

shield should be able to be used as a parry, or hold it to negate timing.

the upside should be timing negation
the downside should be more of an accuracy requirement and turncap penalties when held (to facilitate getting around big shields)

I'd love to see shields used as a holding tool - let's say you're a melee god and playing the pub mode for funsies - you should be able to lock down a doorway and shit on anyone that tries to get through

if they add a objective comp mode, shields could be viable thing for map control

Knight 445 1074
  • 31 Oct '17
 Knight Nicholas

@Jax said:
you should be able to lock down a doorway and shit on anyone that tries to get through

doorbro.jpg

Count 3976 8339
  • 31 Oct '17
 TheDankestMeme

@Jax said:
I'd love to see shields used as a holding tool

@marox he said we want tower shields

Duke 5558 13284
  • 31 Oct '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Nah not like that u memes

Obviously your still have to put some effort in, otherwise you'll get cucked