Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Is anyone else tired of shields being OP?

Knight 52 50
  • 28 Oct '17
 BasedPatriot

Ɖ | Thenix: i meant u should mod it out
Ɖ | Thenix: because fuck shields

Simply put, shields remove 3 aspects of engagement (feinting, morphing, and dragging) at 0 detriment to the shield user. Shields break the current 1v1 meta that is established between 2 people. By removing these 3 aspects of engagement, there are only 3 ways to properly beat and engage a shield in a 1v1 scenerio (and these 3 are risky and heavily benefit the aggressive shield user).

The first way to beat a shield is to stam them out and disarm them. This is seen when the shield user drops their shield. However, due to how disarming currently works, you may lose initiative despite successfully disarming your opponent. The second way to beat a shield in a 1v1 situation is to gamble them, or hit them before they hit you. This is not practical and often leaves the non-shield abuser vulnerable to punishes by the shield user. The final way to beat or engage a shield in a 1v1 is to use an exploit waterfall swing, which causes the blade of the overhead to hit behind the shield user's parry box. This is likely to be removed, and is extremely risky and difficult to perform.

Essentially, I am arguing that shields are immune to the 3 primary methods of engagement (and meta) - and therefore are too strong in a 1v1 situation. We can no longer kick stun shields, which made them almost not OP in patch 9, but with the kick nerf, we are back where we started as of patch 10.

update:
crushed: shields arent balanced yet, they will be soon

Duke 5559 13285
  • 28 Oct '17
 Jax — Community Manager

shields are a blight to humanity

Baron 13 9
  • 29 Oct '17
 sesstreets

Better yet make it so parrying with weapons works like shields.

Knight 2307 4907
  • 29 Oct '17
 Survii

Quit yo bitching tbh. Shields are a good introductory tool for noobs. Pros with a sword will ALWAYS be better than a guy with a shield. L2P

Knight 27 33
  • 29 Oct '17
 PinkiePowPowMSK

@Survii said:
Quit yo bitching tbh. Shields are a good introductory tool for noobs. Pros with a sword will ALWAYS be better than a guy with a shield. L2P

That's exactly why shield is gay af lol. it requires absolutely 0 skill for a new player or just someone whos bad could go from 1 kill and 10 deaths to 10 kills and 1 death just by going shield. The shield is op in 1v1 that could be solved by not duelling the shitter. but in a team fight when u have to fight shields it requires so much time to kill a noob who just holds rmb and trying to spam/abuse leg hits.
The proper way to fix shields being op is by making shields out stam way faster/earlier in chiv it took 3 hits with a dubace which meant you had to watch your stam all the time.
The shield would then still be given the advantages of not having to read feints,morph or drags and being able to hold ur rmb while those playing without would have the advantage of being able to outstam a shield within 3-5 direct hits

367 341
  • 29 Oct '17
 Peacerer

Agree with Survii.

Also how often do we see anyone useing a shield out of a duel mode? 1h is basically totally underpowered in team mode(s). I actually hope with introducing of archer we will see more shields on the battlefield.

Knight 27 33
  • 29 Oct '17
 PinkiePowPowMSK

What are u talking about why would u use a 1 hand in duels but not in teamfights lol
The 1handers are extremely fast and sometimes instant specialy when u meet 2 baboons just gambling/spamming theres not much u can do. In duels u have time to notice if hes spamming/gambling and punish afterwards meanwhile in a team fight people just spam the 1hander to get some broken attack which u cant parry in 1vx situations

Knight 941 2569
  • 29 Oct '17
 Pred

@Survii said:

Ah, my favorite type of comment:

Let's Not Balance The Game Because A Much Better Player Will Always Beat A Much Worse Player No Matter The Disadvantage

Maybe they should throw the perk system in the garbage too - a pro will always beat a random heavy armor + Zweihander guy afterall.

@PinkiePowPowMSK said:
requires so much time to kill a noob who just holds rmb and trying to spam/abuse leg hits.

Hahaha, did you encounter the crazy mace+kite guy by any chance? He might be playing in 3rd person too.

Knight 83 115
  • 29 Oct '17
 Mufflin

Waaaaah my feintfagging isn't working because people can use a shield sometimes so I don't get 100% win rate

Knight 2307 4907
  • 29 Oct '17
 Survii

@Pred said:

@Survii said:

Let's Not Balance The Game Because A Much Better Player Will Always Beat A Much Worse Player No Matter The Disadvantage

Maybe they should throw the perk system in the garbage too - a pro will always beat a random heavy armor + Zweihander guy afterall.

Shields have a delay
Shields can be punished with kicks
Shields can be punished with stamina
Shields block vision
Shields make you have to use a one hander

Maybe we should """balance""" them by making them two handers?

367 341
  • 29 Oct '17
 Peacerer

@PinkiePowPowMSK said:
What are u talking about why would u use a 1 hand in duels but not in teamfights lol

Do you just try to prove something we all know it is not true? You and me play the same game. You can write all the bla bla bla... but the question still stands "Also how often do we see anyone useing a shield out of a duel mode?"

In team mode(s) almost everyone pick 2h weapons. You can see that for yourself anytime. Well, at least when actual team mode server has players online. So i see no point with a silly question what i was talking about!

Now, that we all agree 1h weapons are rarer in team mode(s) than 2h weapons. We can go further and think about why exactly that occurs. One would think it's mainly because in a mode such as DM (and even skirmish) players don't "need" to take care about team damage and just utilize the ridiculous range of 2h weapons swinging around while WASD helicopting in and out of the crowd...

Knight 222 187
  • 29 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

Peacerer, just dont argue, people want shield nerf to the ground, cause they want only OP2hander game just like Chivalry : Medieval Warfare, it will be the same drama, when perk, archer, cavalry, siege weapons gonna come.

367 341
  • 29 Oct '17
 Peacerer

@REKTKWONDO
Exactly, i can't imagine all the melee 3k+ Chiv crybabies when archer's released. Oh, wait i can! We had seen that before when TB nerfed archers in 2013 based on all the aimless melee pros crying as they couldn't stand those few skilled archers.

My prediction is that story is gonna repeat all over once again. Well, at least if Triternion manages to introduce some decent archery. With decent i mean for example not needing to land 34897534875 arrows to kill 1 knight. However, i think melee pros will find solution for their lack of aiming skill anyway if nothing else than at least with archer limited servers.

Knight 766 3329
  • 29 Oct '17
 Mittsies

@Peacerer said:
@REKTKWONDO
Exactly, i can't imagine all the melee 3k+ Chiv crybabies when archer's released. Oh, wait i can! We had seen that before when TB nerfed archers in 2013 based on all the aimless melee pros crying as they couldn't stand those few skilled archers.

My prediction is that story is gonna repeat all over once again. Well, at least if Triternion manages to introduce some decent archery. With decent i mean for example not needing to land 34897534875 arrows to kill 1 knight. However, i think melee pros will find solution for their lack of aiming skill anyway if nothing else than at least with archer limited servers.

You make it sound like archery took more skill than melee combat. Heh, good one buddy.

Knight 222 187
  • 29 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

You're right, and remember that in Mordhau we're able to parry ranged without shield, just with the normal parry. So Mordhau don't really need "shit damage" just like it was in Merc/Comp

People said it was bolonced at the start... 2 week later the meta was 2 knight 2 Vang 1 MaA and we dont see archer anymore rofl

"You make it sound like archery took more skill than melee combat. Heh, good one buddy."
In chivalry, yes, you need to play everyday to save your aim so yes archer was the more skilled thing, and not for melee, and I dont speak about shield.

But now we have chamber, a mechanic you need to tryhard and train everyday to "save" your skill

367 341
  • 29 Oct '17
 Peacerer

@Mittsies said:

@Peacerer said:
@REKTKWONDO

You make it sound like archery took more skill than melee combat. Heh, good one buddy.

That is obvious. Except to the aimless melee players who can not and will never admit that for some reason.

btw, years ago there was a pool on Chiv forum seeking the hardest character of all four to play in Chiv. Archer received most votes by far.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 29 Oct '17
 vanguard

Archers in chiv were goddamn retarded and antifun as fuck, what the hell are u guys on about tbh everyone knows this

Knight 615 1118
  • 30 Oct '17
 Uncy

@Survii said:

@Pred said:

@Survii said:

Shields have a delay
Shields can be punished with kicks
Shields can be punished with stamina
Shields block vision
Shields make you have to use a one hander

Maybe we should """balance""" them by making them two handers?

Wrong.
After kick rework its useless vs shields, also they take less stamina than blocking without them

Knight 86 94

get gud... thats how you beat shields. Pussies

Knight 27 33