Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Alpha Build #10 Discussion Thread

Duke 2266 4010
  • 27 Oct '17
 Huggles

What I mean by passive play are people who block and take sooooooo long to follow up on their block but can still do it because of how long parry lockout can be. Moosey is a good player and by no means am I denying his skill, but he was certainly much more interesting to fight last patch. Fighting him now and it's just excruciatingly boring because he doesn't do a lot of movement in general. He waits till the very last moment to counter attack which makes me want to pull my hair out because he can be so passive and still retain initiative.

Those kinds of duels are just boring as shit to me.

Knight 222 187
  • 27 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

"It also decreases skill on his part because now that he is aware of the lockout he knows he doesn't really have to pay any attention to what I'm doing for 200ms. Not having to worry about what your opponent is doing is overall bad for any game and lowers the skill ceiling considerably."

You should wait for chamber, or parry instead of gamble. It's a fight game we need logic in fight.

"Now people can go for the most obvious drag in the world and you have to wait it out because lockout is ridic right now."

Like I said, just wait for the release to come then chamber, parry.

The real problem with the lockout already, is that if you start your attack a little bit early, you are lock, so the attack dont start, so you cant chamber.

"As for never being able to play "defensive" to me there is nothing skillful or fun about defense heavy playstyles. The skill in the game does not come from pressing rmb. Blocking attacks is incredibly easy for the most part. It comes from your ability to footwork, feint, chamber, and utilize real time swings accurately and effectively against people who are trying to do the same to you."

Chivalry was really bad cause, the guy who attack first, with same weapons always win the stamina war, it was useless to play defensive, now both are good with chamber, offensive and defensive so it's ok, if you dont like playstyle of other player I just cant do anything for you. Just adapt.

"It's a fucking fighting game"
Kickboxing is a fuckin fighting sport, and people have different style, it should be the same in mordhau. In kickboxing, u can wait a lot, being defensive, just wait to make the good highkick, or the good cross. Or save your stamina... Same in Mordhau.

"He waits till the very last moment to counter attack which makes me want to pull my hair out because he can be so passive and still retain initiative."
If you wait too much after a parry, you dont get the riposte boostspeed, so it's ez to chamber...

Duke 2266 4010
  • 27 Oct '17
 Huggles

@REKTKWONDO said:
"It also decreases skill on his part because now that he is aware of the lockout he knows he doesn't really have to pay any attention to what I'm doing for 200ms. Not having to worry about what your opponent is doing is overall bad for any game and lowers the skill ceiling considerably."

You should wait for chamber, or parry instead of gamble. It's a fight game we need logic in fight.

"Now people can go for the most obvious drag in the world and you have to wait it out because lockout is ridic right now."

Like I said, just wait for the release to come then chamber, parry.

The real problem with the lockout already, is that if you start your attack a little bit early, you are lock, so the attack dont start, so you cant chamber.

"As for never being able to play "defensive" to me there is nothing skillful or fun about defense heavy playstyles. The skill in the game does not come from pressing rmb. Blocking attacks is incredibly easy for the most part. It comes from your ability to footwork, feint, chamber, and utilize real time swings accurately and effectively against people who are trying to do the same to you."

Chivalry was really bad cause, the guy who attack first, with same weapons always win the stamina war, it was useless to play defensive, now both are good with chamber, offensive and defensive so it's ok, if you dont like playstyle of other player I just cant do anything for you. Just adapt.

"It's a fucking fighting game"
Kickboxing is a fuckin fighting sport, and people have different style, it should be the same in mordhau. In kickboxing, u can wait a lot, being defensive, just wait to make the good highkick, or the good cross. Or save your stamina... Same in Mordhau.

"He waits till the very last moment to counter attack which makes me want to pull my hair out because he can be so passive and still retain initiative."
If you wait too much after a parry, you dont get the riposte boostspeed, so it's ez to chamber...

You need to learn the definition of gambling. Attacking out of turn =/= gamble. If he is going for a super long, slow, and wide swing that he telegraphs from a mile away and I accelerate an attack going to the opposite side, I'm not gambling. I'm reading and reacting in a way that punishes obvious swings. Forcing the chamber would be more risky and gambly in that scenario because I'm not sure exactly when the attack will land and I have to go towards his swing.

The guy who attacked first in chivalry won BECAUSE of this boring turn taking dynamic that basically made parry give you auto initiative no matter what and let you take your time after a block.

27 23
  • 27 Oct '17
 Krtex

its probably the lockout, but in this build im having trouble with fast ripostes or stab-chambers against a long weapon like greatsword at face-hug range, even though i know its coming. no matter what i do i just cant parry insta-riposte at facehug range, even if its the same attack with the same timing, its like the parry window is so miniscule there isnt enough time to register the parry input, but it doesnt happen too often

and i know im a noob with mostly negative k/d ratio, but i actually liked the posibility of a double parry. it felt consistent with the large ftp window, and it puts more skill requirements to feints and drags (which i also like as they are, dont get me wrong) and that alleviates some inevitable salt from the casuls like me. i like it when the game lets you somewhat recover from mistakes if you realize youve done them soon enough (to a reasonable extent ofc), and that its more about the actual positions of players and weapons (like Jedi Knight), instead of rock-paper-scissors and confirmed damage (like For Honor, but dont take these comparisons too srsly, i know they are not perfect).

BUT other than that, i love all the other changes (especially the kick), and im having the most fun ive ever had with the game since release.

Its funny how i wrote two paragraphs about something slightly bothering me and only a line about the good stuff, but i dont know what to add, other than that i love it lol

Knight 222 187
  • 27 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

"If he is going for a super long, slow, and wide swing that he telegraphs from a mile away and I accelerate an attack going to the opposite side"

You cant know if opponent fast or drag before the release start. If you start windup in release, you get hit at 100% so yeah its gamble.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 27 Oct '17
 Huggles

That's not true. Windup has fairly strict turncap and if anything you can tell he will speed it up and then you just FTP. You also have to take into account you are attacking his other side. It's not a gamble. It's only a gamble to the extent that nothing you do in the game is 100% confirmed to work, it is no where near rolling the dice tho, which is what the term gamble would imply.

Knight 196 414

I'm still pissed. 😠

Duke 986 1381
  • 27 Oct '17
 PadanFain

@Prince Oberyn Martell said:
I'm still pissed. 😠

Git gud tbh

Knight 196 414

@PadanFain said:

@Prince Oberyn Martell said:
I'm still pissed. 😠

Git gud tbh

You first.

Knight 3313 6811
  • 29 Oct '17
 Bodkin

I have personally become more open-minded to the recent changes that greatly frustrated me on their initial release.

Haven't tried any teamfighting due to the severe lack of it, but in duels the game seems to play nicely. My only gripe is the lockout making chambers unreliable at times when parried by heavier weapons. The lockout is such that you have to wait for what appears to be the last 10ms to chamber otherwise your input won't be able to come out.

I honestly think the new kick is indeed quite punishing of facehuggers whilst removing the feeling of helplessness the stun created. I was against this change before, but I have seen how it actually might be better for the game in the end while still performing its function quite well, just in a less obnoxious manner.

The stab drag changes were originally ill-received on my end, but this was primarily due to it heavily nerfing the way I had approached fighting so far. That being said, I do think it only really targeted a few specific weapons. Weapons like the bastard sword are floaty enough to still be stab-dragged quite well, while weapons that rely on stabs heavily (like billhook) took the brunt of the nerf. I believe that instead of the stabs being normalized, they all should have been scaled down rather than a select few. Weapons that heavily rely on stabs, should retain viable stabs (when compared to the competition, no need for the floaty stabs as much as I loved doing them). Other than this critique, I feel the changes were well-merited to continue with the montra of "making fights look like fights" and keeping finished stabs from still dealing dmg.

tl:dr - I disliked the changes until I understood them better and got over my old ways. I rate this patch 8/10 with the base concepts, execution could have some work on a few fronts mentioned earlier.

Knight 222 187
  • 30 Oct '17
 REKTKWONDO

I've downloaded the patch just now, and the character look broken... A mate tell me that's it's the same for him...

Knight 321 611
  • 30 Oct '17
 Duckalot

20171030185631_1.jpg

So this happened when i started the game.

edit: nvm just understood what happened... halloween and all.

Sellsword 792 2352
  • 31 Oct '17
 Goof

whatthefuckmordhau.jpg

I'll fucking say!

• 2 Nov '17
 Wildfire)
This comment was deleted.
Knight 46 37

"Spamming" attacks had it's draw backs ie. Having to ftp constantly and losing the Stam fight. It kept the game fast paced though and allowed you to feel like you're actually making a big impact and don't get me started on 1vx fights. Just to be clear I'm not a mindless spammer but I am an aggressive player and the fact that I have to give my opponent time to breathe and vise versa just takes a lot of the fun out of the game. Tbh I never had any problems in team fights with the old system... I actually felt more flexible than I ever did in chiv.

Duke 507 1200

Combat flows nicely, maybe sprinkle a bit more content since this is alpha to keep player numbers higher. Most if not all issues I had has been brought up in earlier posts.

Mercenary 1263 2304

Can't block accel ripostes on 20 ping. Can't block some combo's (mace stabs for example) or punish misses because recovery is too long/attack too fast. I don't know about technical stuff, but could it be lag compensations that's screwing me here?

Duke 986 1381
  • 3 Nov '17
 PadanFain

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
Can't block accel ripostes on 20 ping. Can't block some combo's (mace stabs for example) or punish misses because recovery is too long/attack too fast. I don't know about technical stuff, but could it be lag compensations that's screwing me here?

At 20 ping its your fault ur missing parries the game plays great at that low of ping

Knight 697 1611
  • 3 Nov '17
 das

Parries should be fine in that ping. If your chambers aren't performing after an enemy riposte/chamber, then it's an input being eaten rather than a ping problem, which they will try to address next patch.

414 418
  • 5 Nov '17
 nohbdy

The original lockout was perfectly fine. If you don't like spam, just attack. That's literally all you had to do, riposte, and there was no way you'd be interrupted. The fact that there was so much pressure on you to attack your opponent as soon as possible due to the short lockout was extremely useful for preventing your opponents from being able to feint or drag successfully, and it was a very well-deserved buff to fast weapons. As long as the slowest weapons can always hit before the fastest weapons with a riposte, it's fine.