Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Alpha Build #10 Discussion Thread

1090 6149
  • 25 Oct '17
 crushed — Art

Here's the patch notes: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/10158/changelog-thread/

What do you guys think of the changes? Discuss them here!

1090 6149
  • 25 Oct '17
 crushed — Art

This topic has been pinned.

Knight 45 71
  • 25 Oct '17
 MexicanBatman

great job lads!

Baron 291 224
  • 25 Oct '17
 Esa1996

I would've kept the parry recovery as it was. Coming from WOTR where you only get a recovery period from being parried and missing a hit AND the recovery periods are really short (Somewhere around 300 ms I'd say), I truly despise having to recover from everything I do XD

Otherwise the changes look good. One thing I noticed is that you haven't included the crash to desktop bug whenever the game tries to load consecutive bot matches into the known bugs and issues section.

EDIT: It seems the crash to desktop bug is gone. Haven't had it a single time yet with the new patch.

80 286
  • 25 Oct '17
 wizardish

Increased parry recovery is needed because too many players were going unpunished after someone successfully feinted them.

If you haven't relied on double parries, the change won't affect how the game feels for you.

Knight 697 1611
  • 25 Oct '17
 das

Have yet to play. Reading this, these seem like some very elegant fixes to long-running problems and imbalances.

I've always used Mail torso and leg armor, so it's satisfying to finally see that the biggest two F U weapons to Mail are being addressed with their HTK.

The kick changes seem pretty solid and are more or less what I expected. The missed kick CFTP buff a while ago made it hard to damage a whiff (though you would drain like 50 stamina from them), so I think now that ease of defense finally makes sense. The increased damage (15), while small relative to taking a blade to the face, is significant enough to lower HTK by 1 on a lot of weapons, which still encourages people to try to avoid/clash kicks. Kicks now lead into mindgame situations instead of autohit situations, which is a bonus all around: the aggressor can choose between attacking normally, feinting, morphing, or morph feinting, all of which can be defended against as well. Kick turncap means circlestrafing footwork is now more viable and reliable once again, which is great.

Increased parry recovery by 25ms - this will make double parries harder

This has been long awaited. Even the Longsword, a relatively fast weapon, would get double parried a lot after a successful feint against a backpedaling light-armored guy.

Feint adjustments, mid feints are now more punishable

I wonder what specifically changed here? If it's what I think it is though, this is indeed a much needed change. Stuff like Rapier, Bastard Sword, and close-grip Battle Axe feints were pretty silly to fight against if you didn't have a fast 1h'er yourself.

Maximum stab release is now .425 (affected by this reduction are: halberd, zweihander, greatsword, bardiche, billhook, poleaxe, bastard sword, warhammer, messer) - this will nerf stab dragging

Whoah interesting, BS and Greatsword but not Longsword were affected. What kind of bizarre stats did/does Bastard Sword have? One of the most unfun weapons to fight against with 80+ ping. But I digress... I agree with this change. On a superficial level, extreme stab drags just look weird. But that unintuitiveness extends to teamfights as well. And seeing Messer on the list... I always did feel like the Messer stab was surprisingly good in every way except reach and damage.

Greatsword damage adjustments

Intrigued to see what specifically changed.

Reduced 1H Mace stab damage slightly

Yeah, this was needed. Using a Mace in Chivalry did feel like a trade-off: you got really potent strikes at the cost of a nerfed stab compared to the swords, so it wasn't as reliable and had a definite matchup disadvantage vs other MAA, but you had potential to do incredible damage to unaware Knights and Vanguards. In Mordhau, Mace just felt like a slightly slower striking Broadsword.

Added full stamina system for all weapons that can be selected in loadouts (makeshift weapons are excluded at the moment) - stamina values change per weapon on parries, feints and misses. The system works with stamina damage and stamina damage negation, which means that some weapons drain more than others on regular parries, while other weapons lose more from misses and feints etc.

Ooooh, can't wait to test this out. Should turn the tides against 1h'ers a bit.

Lowered leg damage across the board

Not bad, will have to see in-game for myself how significant or subtle this change is.

Parried and Chambered lockouts are now dynamic - this will reduce the attack spam after parrying someone. Lockouts are based on windups, which means that getting parried by a rapier will give you the current lockout, while getting parried by an eveningstar or slower weapons will lock you out more. System is setup so you can always chamber the riposte or the counter chamber. The lockouts range from (400ms-600ms for parry, 225ms-425ms for chamber) - Blocked animations will adjust accordingly to your lockout

Perhaps THE most important change of the patch (kick change being the other contender). I think this makes everyone happy. Those who wanted slower, more Chivalry-tempo'd fights got what they want. Those who have taken a liking to the frantic, fast-paced potential Mordhau offers can now actually chamber and counterchamber Rapiers. Consistency in chambering is something I've been awaiting for a long time!

Added spectator bounds to Camp and Pit

I think this will also inadvertently fix the "disappearing people when speccing" glitch. One thing I've noticed is that when this glitch occurs and I switch back to free cam, I am somehow positioned out of bounds. Pressing WSAD while speccing a person still moves the free cam position even though you're not seeing from that POV.

Parry & chamber bounce animations are now more different, which will make it easier to indicate if you got parried or chambered

WHOAH okay, maybe this is the biggest change. Ah!!!

Knight 196 414

Just want to know why the developers decided to make it so two stabs to a plate head with spear won't kill anymore?

It's not like it's easy to get a head stab, especially now that they've nerfed kick. I am very sad.

Baron 291 224
  • 25 Oct '17
 Esa1996

@Prince Oberyn Martell said:
Just want to know why the developers decided to make it so two stabs to a plate head with spear won't kill anymore?

It's not like it's easy to get a head stab, especially now that they've nerfed kick. I am very sad.

Nothing but a big hammer (This includes the backsides of some polearms, eveningstars etc.) should two shot someone in full plate IMO, no matter where you hit.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 25 Oct '17
 Huggles

The new lockout feels terrible. I understand why it was implemented but it over does it a lot tbh. The only really issue beforehand was like rapier or arming sword spam. Or even axe stab spam.

Everything else was ez to counter. Now it just feels terrible to play against heavy weapons and heavily favors them, which doesn't make sense because heavy weapons were already meta.

If it doesn't get reverted at the very least it should take both weapons into account, not just the weapon that parries. So eveningstar vs eveningstar duels will feel like there is no lockout like before, whereas eveningstar vs rapier will be very diff. Even then tho, the lockout is just too high right now.

Everything else about the patch is great, but parry lockout as it stands feels like a step back as opposed to a step forward.

Knight 4116 4392
  • 25 Oct '17
 pizza boy

shields are now stronger because you can't stun them with their massive fucking hitbox and leg damage was also reduced

rip

Knight 445 1074
  • 25 Oct '17
 Knight Nicholas

Kicks now flinch instead of stun.

joy.jpg

Knight 196 414

IMO this patch sucks big ol' balls.

18 21
  • 25 Oct '17
 Glassfan

imo, this patch is heading in the right direction.

The option to play more defensively and patient is now viable via the parry/chamber lockout changes.

This by far is my favorite and now fights just feel better to me. The pace is slowed down a bit and spamming attacks is not as effective.

Prince is just salty cuz his spear cheese is nerfed a bit. Which is a good thing --since it was an easily ab-usable weapon.

Countess 1233 2912
  • 25 Oct '17
 Whisper

For alpha not being about balance I see a lot of balance changes but not a lot of new content. I'm not being accusing but that's partially why I don't really play it too often anymore.

Knight 196 414

@Glassfan said:
imo, this patch is heading in the right direction.

The option to play more defensively and patient is now viable via the parry/chamber lockout changes.

This by far is my favorite and now fights just feel better to me. The pace is slowed down a bit and spamming attacks is not as effective.

Prince is just salty cuz his spear cheese is nerfed a bit. Which is a good thing --since it was an easily ab-usable weapon.

I'm salty for a few reasons.

1. Someone crashed their car into the back of my car today and now my back hurts.

But more importantly...

1. Now that they've removed two shotting plate heads with well placed stabs, there's not much incentive to try to aim stabs for the head, since it'll all just 3 shot.

2. What compelled devs to slow down light armor? The meta is still heavily in favor of heavy armored knights.

3. The party lockout is overkill.

Duke 5558 13284
  • 26 Oct '17
 Jax — Community Manager

I'll let u know how it do
this post will be updated soon™

Knight 147 159
  • 26 Oct '17
 MrBlackDragon

1. The party lockout is overkill.

Damn am I late to the party?

But seriously, the spear is what I use the most and it's one true use as a weapon just got removed nerfed.

Knight 196 414

@MrBlackDragon said:

1. The party lockout is overkill.

Damn am I late to the party?

But seriously, the spear is what I use the most and it's one true use as a weapon just got removed nerfed.

Parry* hehe, my bad.

Count 671 1131
  • 26 Oct '17
 Zexis

my initial impressions are positive. I haven't explicitly noticed the lockout changes affecting me. too early for me to comment on anything else

I will miss kick stuns against shields but we'll have to see how things play out with the stam system

I wonder why the light armor spear main is unhappy

Knight 196 414

@Zexis said:
my initial impressions are positive. I haven't explicitly noticed the lockout changes affecting me. too early for me to comment on anything else

I will miss kick stuns against shields but we'll have to see how things play out with the stam system

I wonder why the light armor spear main is unhappy

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds.