Mordhau

Thoughts On The Current State of Mordhau From The AU Comp Scenes Perspective

Mercenary 35 145
  • 24 Oct '17
 colessmartshopper

I have 160 hours in Mordhau and roughly 1200 hours in chiv for those who care, also am AU competitive player in Kings clan- best clan AU btw and also am good for kings not just the clanless welfare class.

Ok

First off I love this game and devs with all my love, play it everday and want it to succeed. This is why I've decided to bash this game as much as possible in this post in the hopes that it would raise awareness. Most of the points I've made will probably have been made already but a second opinion doesn't hurt.

• 1: Game currently rewards groundsniff and bad posture- not sure if melee game or retirement home simulator. This is not only a very immoral meta but it is also quite depressing to see ppl fight looking at their feet without eye contact. This is likely due to the potency of leg hits + poor animations so ppl be looking down to disguise attack. I heard an animation rework is on the horizon but what about leg hits? It isn't so much an argument of whether leg hits are op but it encourage bad behaviour which goes against my code.
  • 2: Oh no I missed 5 times and forget to attack! Now my Yellow bar has no more yellow. What do I do? Oh wait now I have advantage and can attack first, lucky me!

gf

• 3: Ok so devs did smth interesting here with mordhau riposte initiative mechanics. So there are 2 people, person A is named Myzery and Trix and CoobN and community members who lack code, person B is named Kings comp player with many hours and many skill and code.

Now lets give person A a faster wep

Scenario 1:

Step1: Person A attack person B.
Step 2: Person B late riposte.
Step 3: Person B die from not enough skill

Scenario 2:

Step1: Person A attack person B.
Step 2: Person B quick riposte.
Step 3: Person A cancel their outplay with a cheeky f2p.

Fight continues. If the same scenario follows, Step 3 can be repeated many times without significant drawbacks. F2p doesn't cost much stam and one can afford to use it numerous times in a fight...And even if they are disarmed... see COMPLAINT 2.

Some ppl say "gamble meta', others say "git gud". I post on forums so more can say.

Ok.

• 4: Nerf walls (I suggest making it so walls dont block windups)
  • 5. There are many other issues like kicks and shields that are still problematic but have already been discussed v thoroughly and devs seem to be on the right track. Issues like fixing animations (especially the 1hers), making active parry more consistent+visible and fixing them arm hitboxes have already been said by others and I concur.

by
    e

3234 4249
  • 24 Oct '17
 Havoc

Can someone translate?

2354 4750
  • 24 Oct '17
 Maci

@colessmartshopper said:

What AU comp scene?

Mercenary 65 60

@colessmartshopper said:

• 4: Nerf walls (I suggest making it so walls dont block windups)

Lol take a hammer, stay with ur back close to a wall and try an overhead..i mean in RL. Could be difficult. All the other points are understandable. I played mordhau for 40h and stopped playing it. I can't see any reward in getting used to animations and mechanics which will probably get changed in Beta or release. Also it was just annoying to fight groundsniffers, "gamblers" and spam feinters. It was like "oh i got a rapier, fuck ur windup, fuck ur release, i can flinch u every time i want".

Count 671 1130
  • 24 Oct '17
 Zexis

2: Oh no I missed 5 times and forget to attack! Now my Yellow bar has no more yellow. What do I do? Oh wait now I have advantage and can attack first, lucky me!

I do think disarm could be just a little more punishing, but people just have to learn to not gamble against fists from neutral unless they have a fast weapon too.

while it's annoying to get rekt by someone you just disarmed, it probably feels good for the other person, and you could have avoided getting punched if you had been more careful, usually.

the stam boost after disarm is probably too much.

Sellsword 197 235
  • 24 Oct '17
 Redeaux

Comp scene?

1298 2867
  • 24 Oct '17
 Monsteri

@Zexis said:

2: Oh no I missed 5 times and forget to attack! Now my Yellow bar has no more yellow. What do I do? Oh wait now I have advantage and can attack first, lucky me!

I do think disarm could be just a little more punishing, but people just have to learn to not gamble against fists from neutral unless they have a fast weapon too.

while it's annoying to get rekt by someone you just disarmed, it probably feels good for the other person, and you could have avoided getting punched if you had been more careful, usually.

It's a fun scenario when you disarm one of your enemies in 2v1 running low on stam yourself, you're basically dead at that point. There's also no fear and no stakes for getting disarmed. Were getting disarmed a grave punishment, the intensity of the fight would rise tremendously as any errors would have big consequences -- as it stands it's kind of 'meh, i'll just try to punch him'.

Count 671 1130
  • 24 Oct '17
 Zexis

@Monsteri said:

@Zexis said:

It's a fun scenario when you disarm one of your enemies in 2v1 running low on stam yourself, you're basically dead at that point. There's also no fear and no stakes for getting disarmed. Were getting disarmed a grave punishment, the intensity of the fight would rise tremendously as any errors would have big consequences -- as it stands it's kind of 'meh, i'll just try to punch him'.

but there are consequences. the enemy gets one last chance for a hit. the biggest problem is most people try to gamble the fists with a slower weapon and lose. expect the punch and parry or be ready to attack if they try to run. you only need one hit against an unarmed person to accel combo them to death. there are some cases where you're kinda screwed, e.g. you are also about to be disarmed so you can't ftp and your weapon is too slow to hit first or too short to hit out of fist range, so you'll probably have to parry and then get disarmed too.

if you add stagger + disarm, I think that's too punishing. it would be guaranteed death on disarm. even chiv wasn't that bad. again, an unarmed opponent who doesn't have time to attack back or switch to a weapon between combos is absolutely screwed, and while disarm should be scary that is too scary.

I still say the 30(?) stam gained on disarm is too much, it should either be lowered or the regen should be slower.

It's a fun scenario when you disarm one of your enemies in 2v1 running low on stam yourself, you're basically dead at that point.

but doesn't that make sense? unless you are much more skilled, 2 should beat 1 even if one of the enemies is disarmed

Mercenary 35 145
  • 25 Oct '17
 colessmartshopper

@Maci said:

@colessmartshopper said:

What AU comp scene?

Just wait for Mordhau Worlds.

mate

Baron 36 341
  • 25 Oct '17
 Trix