Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Player base already dwindling following the same fate as OKAM. How can they fix it?

King 2430 3418

@Soulcatcher said:
Holy fuck

It's alpha, the people who backed probably have fuckin jobs so they don't play 24/7 like kids on season break.

Alpha is for testing, you don't need a massive amount of people playing to test and improve the game.

The game isn't broken, dying or flawed, the core game mechanics are solid and in my opinion improvements are happening and this game has been in ALPHA for fuck all

Shut the fuck up, think too many of you cunts spend too much time spewing garbage here than playing the actual game with an open mind

Smh

Careful not to no man's sky that counter criticism.

But really hoping they allow people to get beta keys if possible so alot more can get in and really spread this game while providing a diverse player base that isnt the same 5 people in a duel or locked server

96 128
  • 18 Oct '17
 Reapy

It's more like okam's publisher gave up on us and turbo fucked the okam team. I had okam installed on my desktop receiving updates and was very ready to play the game as soon as they released the proper game mode for it, whenever they were ready, I wasn't going anywhere, and was looking forward to playing the game they were making still, despite not logging in for a few months. Game had to be done to play it.

Same thing here. Got a taste of it, duels are fun but I think not my 100% bag with timed parry system (Personal preference, not criticism). So I'd rather take a look at a chaotic / objective based mode. Will be back for combat animation overhaul for sure, and then will probably shelve it until horses and archery get back in, then shelve it till the objective based mode.

Game time is limited so it's going to divinity 2 right now which is a great game for anybody thinking of checking it out.

Dev team is doing Mordhau properly though, yes alpha attention dwindled, now they build a more engaging game, then release it as a beta, where a new flood of excited players will enter. Beta is the test for player retention with engaging gameplay. If they hold beta numbers up they are good, but even if that fails, they have a release window and one more shot at the population surge and retention.

After that you can try with a free weekend, then a humble bundle and/or steam sale for another player surge, and I guess torn banner proved you can give your game away for free with mirage to get another player surge too if all else has failed.

Count 671 1131
  • 18 Oct '17
 Zexis

@BATTLE_BEAST said:
The only reason why its not in Early Access on Steam is because obviously the developers are scared of negative reviews because of >how steep of a learning curve the combat system is and players who want it to stay closed only want it this way because they can get a >higher advantage over everyone else once it is open access.

I want the game to stay closed because the game is unfinished regardless of player count, and opening the game to less invested players will sour theirs and the public's perception of the game prematurely.

It sucks AU is dead, but you guys look to be the least populated continent next to South America. People work, are playing other games, or they get on and see no one else on, so they get off, etc:

ks-countries.jpg

King 2430 3418

@Zexis said:

@BATTLE_BEAST said:
The only reason why its not in Early Access on Steam is because obviously the developers are scared of negative reviews because of >how steep of a learning curve the combat system is and players who want it to stay closed only want it this way because they can get a >higher advantage over everyone else once it is open access.

I want the game to stay closed because the game is unfinished regardless of player count, and opening the game to less invested players will sour theirs and the public's perception of the game prematurely.

It sucks AU is dead, but you guys look to be the least populated continent next to South America. People work, are playing other games, or they get on and see no one else on, so they get off, etc:

ks-countries.jpg

Im in NA amd i cant get shit, theres 2 duel servers and its either full or a locked server and im just fucking tired of only spectating everyone elses duels until they get fucking tired of dueling the same god damn person over and over again which belive me talks a long fucking time

301 875
  • 18 Oct '17
 Naleaus

@King Sinclair The FluffyDragon said:

@Zexis said:

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

ks-countries.jpg

Im in NA amd i cant get shit, theres 2 duel servers and its either full or a locked server and im just fucking tired of only spectating everyone elses duels until they get fucking tired of dueling the same god damn person over and over again which belive me talks a long fucking time

I've not really had these problems in NA. I have been the person that duels the same person over and over, but that was testing/practicing something specific with Wizardish over and over. Do you mostly play at prime times or on weekends?

King 2430 3418

@Naleaus said:

@King Sinclair The FluffyDragon said:

@Zexis said:

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

ks-countries.jpg

I've not really had these problems in NA. I have been the person that duels the same person over and over, but that was testing/practicing something specific with Wizardish over and over. Do you mostly play at prime times or on weekends?

Both, but been staying off of it from dealing with the above, only so much wall hugging and bots one would get tired of.

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 18 Oct '17
 ThunderDuck

@Zexis said:

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

ks-countries.jpg

God damn, 63 backers from my tiny ass country? I'm impressed.

Knight 697 1611
  • 18 Oct '17
 das

The only time I ever play non-duels is when I'm ringing for a scrim/inhouse. Unless you're a complete beginner, people may be willing to let you +1 for them because there often is a need of people. We got a 6v6 going yesterday, which was hectic but fun. Things are still relatively untested as far as teamfight and larger scaled fights go compared to duels.

Sellsword 66 102
  • 18 Oct '17
 Judas_Iscariot

@Soulcatcher said:
Holy fuck

It's alpha, the people who backed probably have fuckin jobs so they don't play 24/7 like kids on season break.

Alpha is for testing, you don't need a massive amount of people playing to test and improve the game.

The game isn't broken, dying or flawed, the core game mechanics are solid and in my opinion improvements are happening and this game has been in ALPHA for fuck all

Shut the fuck up, think too many of you cunts spend too much time spewing garbage here than playing the actual game with an open mind

Smh

Some people love this game too much that they can't have any form of opinion without needing to defend every little thing about it, it is ok to say that the game has a dying player base - because it's true, less and less people are playing it. I work until the evening every night and Mordhau has maybe 4-5 players on the duel server and the other servers are dead. I don't remember the last time I saw a TDM or LTS that had actual activity. Are you Soulcatcher from Aus Chivalry? If you are then you should know how much the servers have died down for us with Mordhau .

I really like this game and can't wait for full release, but just because it's alpha doesn't mean that it isn't a bad sign that nobody is playing it. You need people to play it, the more people the better, otherwise you will have 3-4 people on there who are the ones actually "testing" and they are the ones who's voices are only heard.

Also Early Access only has a bad rep because of shitty devs who drop their product mid development and leave a lot of people upset and angry.

@Zexis said:

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

ks-countries.jpg

How will it sour it though? Because of the "pro's" who play it now? I think it will sour regardless, this is a very niche game with a high learning curve that puts people who put thousands of hours into other sword fighting games at an advantage over anyone else. That same person who buys it in Early Access and hated it might hate it just as much once they buy it as full release. I feel like there is a bigger risk of people hating it when they don't have access to the game and a small collection of people end up mastering all the mechanics of the game and just massacre everyone.

Sellsword 66 102
  • 18 Oct '17
 Judas_Iscariot

@ThunderDuck said:

@Zexis said:

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

ks-countries.jpg

God damn, 63 backers from my tiny ass country? I'm impressed.

Well since burnt all the Churches down there is not much to do for the 70 people who live there now :P

Knight 337 778
  • 18 Oct '17
 AngelEyes

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

How will it sour it though? Because of the "pro's" who play it now? I think it will sour regardless, this is a very niche game with a high learning curve that puts people who put thousands of hours into other sword fighting games at an advantage over anyone else. That same person who buys it in Early Access and hated it might hate it just as much once they buy it as full release. I feel like there is a bigger risk of people hating it when they don't have access to the game and a small collection of people end up mastering all the mechanics of the game and just massacre everyone.

I'm sorry, that is styrofoam weight to anchor your argument with and making claims about people wanting the game to stay closed for an upper hand is almost just plain child like thinking. Not even to mention all the work that needs to be done to combat and how meta will constantly be evolving.

So what about the people who buy months after retail?

8 4
  • 18 Oct '17
 Moo

The only reason why I'm not playing is because they're not balancing anything. Why play a game where I get a little angry because of unbalanced bullshit?

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 18 Oct '17
 ThunderDuck

@Moo said:
The only reason why I'm not playing is because they're not balancing anything. Why play a game where I get a little angry because of unbalanced bullshit?

They are balancing things all the time, are you even looking at the patch notes?

Duke 554 950
  • 19 Oct '17
 Goatie

I work a night/day job and weekends, check M8. So I get on at weird ass times, same as those who remain in my clan.

Sellsword 66 102
848 694
  • 19 Oct '17
 EliteTeamKiller

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

@AngelEyes said:

@BATTLE_BEAST said:

I'm sorry, that is styrofoam weight to anchor your argument with and making claims about people wanting the game to stay closed for an upper hand is almost just plain child like thinking. Not even to mention all the work that needs to be done to combat and how meta will constantly be evolving.

So what about the people who buy months after retail?

I have actually seen in chat people saying "I am glad its closed so I can crush noobs". You can not be ignorant enough to think that people out there did not back the game solely to help the developers out, there are people out there who bought the game so they can get ahead of the curve. If people cared so much about being testers then the Alpha forum would be flooded with suggestions and feedback by everyone. I know plenty of people who play(ed) and have not yet made a single contribution to the forum in that manner. Have you made a contribution to the Alpha testing phase of the game?

And what about the people who buy months after retail, what has that got to do with anything? People will sour on this game no matter if its in EA or full release, it has a high learning curve and those people who do not like that about games will dislike it straight away. The game's difficulty level will filter out people who become regulars and people who drop it after a couple hours.

Chivalry had a high skill cap and learning curve too but six years later it is still rocking.

There are low level servers, which help. Maybe Mordhau can do that too?

Knight 86 94

@Moo said:

i mean, they're balancing kicks...

Knight 115 67
  • 26 Oct '17
 DailyMilkman

Just let them do their fucking job and stop arguing like dipshits. They don't need the community anymore (for everyone who gets triggered by this: THEY NEED YOUR MONEY, NOT YOU) since they have enough experience to develop themselves. Everyone knows why people aren't playing and its the combined reason of everything you guys have talked about already. This forum is a massive shitfest :)

Knight 23 48
  • 26 Oct '17
 babyben

@DailyMilkman said:
Just let them do their fucking job and stop arguing like dipshits. They don't need the community anymore (for everyone who gets triggered by this: THEY NEED YOUR MONEY, NOT YOU) since they have enough experience to develop themselves. Everyone knows why people aren't playing and its the combined reason of everything you guys have talked about already. This forum is a massive shitfest :)

are you serious? you are the one bringing this discussion to life again now by necroing this thread, and contributing fuck all to the discussion while at it.
you are right this forum is a massive shitfest though I'll give you that

3234 4264
  • 26 Oct '17
 Havoc

@kattalainen said:

@DailyMilkman said:

are you serious? you are the one bringing this discussion to life again now by necroing this thread, and contributing fuck all to the discussion while at it.