Mordhau

Alpha is kill? (low player count)

Knight 160 340
  • 14 Oct '17
 Sir Boring

Combat is really cool and all, but every time I go on all the US people only want to duel. Like sheesh, why not some group fights for once?
Also, I'm more the type of fellow to goof around, and funny animations on really tiny maps can only entertain me for so long. Still waiting for those voice commands.

I'm wondering how difficult it will be to fill a 64 player server. Maybe they'll have to let more people into the alpha/beta to fill one.

Knight 92 313
  • 15 Oct '17
 Darkfyre

I'm holding off a bit on Mordhau until we get more maps and gamemodes, personally. I played chiv for roughly 1000 hours, and that solely was because of TO. I'm not really a fan of pure DM gamemodes.

Knight 37 26
  • 15 Oct '17
 interrog8or

In Australia the only playerbase is these 5 comp nerds that lock themselves away in a password protected server. It's honestly dead right now but i reckon beta will rack in the numbers.

Knight 2306 4188
  • 15 Oct '17
 Runagate

A whopping 300 people to be precise.

6 15
  • 15 Oct '17
 BobGnarly

@Pred said:

@greyfox said:
why is 1v1 combat not in a good state right now?

Too much facehugging, groundsniffing, animation hiding and spastic movement, fights look like two flopping fish trying to chop each other with uppercut strikes. I play at moderate sensitivity and keep running out of desk space because people keep moving to my sides with their head down. Most of the attacks are not chamberable in a fight scenario. Balance obviously doesn't exist yet. Kick, I can't decide what to think of it - it's probably too good offensively and too shit defensively. Shields are broken. Some one handers (Rapier especially) are just top fucking kek. Disarming somebody is terrifying. You can gaze upon a windup for ages and then get murdered by a light speed release.

I mean, the concept behind the combat and its mechanics (most of them at least) are good, but execution-wise it still has ways to go.

Hopefully some of these issues will be fixed with new animations.

Exactly this.

I tried it, looks promising. I'll try it again at beta, see how it's progressed.

Too many games to play at the moment.

Knight 39 51

Well a lot of people said it.

A lot of people do not like Chivalry.

A lot of people expected somehitng better than Chivalry, not a remastered edition with better movements, adding morphs and some new weapons.

This game was made for Chivalry competitive players and a lot of people did not know only watching kickstarter webpage.

A lot of people said it at forums and all the competitive players (most active at forum) just insult them, and devs only says that they are not going to change anything from the base (combat system, morphs, feints, etc).

And, like me, a lot of people is done playing Mordhau.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 16 Oct '17
 vanguard

@UnderPepeGrillosControlΦ said:

A lot of people expected somehitng better than Chivalry, not a remastered edition with better movements, adding morphs and some new weapons.

What about all the features that are to come like horses and shit? Isn't it a bit to early for you to say this?

This game was made for Chivalry competitive players and a lot of people did not know only watching kickstarter webpage.

At this moment I understand that it appeals more to chiv veterans indeed. But see my previous point.

A lot of people said it at forums and all the competitive players (most active at forum) just insult them, and devs only says that they are not going to change anything from the base (combat system, morphs, feints, etc).

Why would they change the base of the system in the first place?

People are blunt on the internet tbh don't be so sensitive. If you are clueless on the game Mechanics and why things are the way they are, and still you make suggestions about changing the whole combat, people will throw shit at your face, it's nothing but the expected.

Go to Arma 3 forums, ask for call of duty mechanics and see the results lmao.

There are plenty of good suggestions though, and people do recognize them tbh you gotta be fair as well man, it's not all hate.

Maybe you shouldn't play the alpha or beta, but I do believe that the final product is going to please you more imho.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 16 Oct '17
 Huggles

This is very funny to me considering there are actually quite a bit of chivalry comp veterans who are whining because the game isn't enough like chivalry.

The game's pacing and the playstyle it encourages is incredibly different from chivalry, so is its balance. The game, however, was never intended to be casual. It was meant to cater towards people with a competitive mindset, not to chivalry players particularly. Though, of course it will feel more like chivalry as opposed to mount and blade or for honor or something, because it is primarily a first person sword fighting game. But again, as one of those thousands of hours on chivalry nerds I can tell you this game is so fucking different and I love it because of that.

I'm not going to trash you tho, my simple recommendation however is that you come back after release and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as, in addition to an overall more finished game, you will have matchmaking that pairs you with opponents of similar skill.

Knight 39 51

@vanguard said:

What about all the features that are to come like horses and shit? Isn't it a bit to early for you to say this?

At this moment I understand that it appeals more to chiv veterans indeed. But see my previous point.

People are blunt on the internet tbh don't be so sensitive. If you are clueless on the game Mechanics and why things are the way they are, and still you make suggestions about changing the whole combat, people will throw shit at your face, it's nothing but the expected.

There are plenty of good suggestions though, and people do recognize them tbh you gotta be fair as well man, it's not all hate.

Maybe you shouldn't play the alpha or beta, but I do believe that the final product is going to please you more imho.

===================================

Do not compare Arma3 (I am still playing Arma) with CallOfDuty.

Arma3 is a simulator and CallOfDuty no. Arma3 is the best strategic simulator shoting game that offers more than 50 (including mods) gamemodes with 180 players per server in a 270km2 open world terrain.

In the medieval context I can compare Arma3 with KingdomCome, and Mordhau and Chivalry (even with horses) will be like CallOfDuty.
Comparing Chivalry and Mordhau is like compare Fifa14 vs Fifa17: Better graphics, new movements, and some improvements but the game base is the same.

And as you said: "At this moment I understand that it appeals more to chiv veterans indeed". Maybe when it does not look like chivalry I will play. I will check the updates but it has to change a lot.

And I think I'm not the only one who thinks like that, but maybe the people is tired of saying it and not even enter the forum, like me, almost a month without login.

What you do not understand is that is that we (at least me and my more than 30 friends who bought the game) thought that Mordhau would not be what it is.

Copied from Kickstarter Mordhau website:

• BELIEVABLE FIGHTS. A game where fights look believable, Mordhau strikes a balance between gameplay and realism. Ballerinas and circus performers are replaced by carefully designed combat mechanics. We are confident that our system solves most of the common problems of this genre, and is also heaps of fun.
    --> Drags are realist? Timing block is realist? Blocking a maul with a dagger is realist?
  • Mordhau is being developed by Triternion. We're a young, 10-person international team driven by our passion for melee games and the medieval era. We've accumulated thousands of hours of playtime in awesome titles such as Chivalry, Mount & Blade, War of the Roses, the Jedi Knight series, and many others, too. Having been part of the community as players as well as content creators, we feel we’re in a unique position to use this experience to refine and further evolve the melee genre.
    --> What have Mordhau from Mount&Blade, WarOfTheRoses and many others... ¿Horses? But the combat system is Chivalry.

Like I said, my +30 friends playing Mordhau are done. And I think we are not the only one who think like this.

848 694
  • 16 Oct '17
 EliteTeamKiller

Once they put some Team Objective in there it will take off again.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 16 Oct '17
 vanguard

Arma3 is a simulator and CallOfDuty no. Arma3 is the best strategic simulator shoting game that offers more than 50 (including mods) gamemodes with 180 players per server in a 270km2 open world terrain.
In the medieval context I can compare Arma3 with KingdomCome, and Mordhau and Chivalry (even with horses) will be like CallOfDuty.
Comparing Chivalry and Mordhau is like compare Fifa14 vs Fifa17: Better graphics, new movements, and some improvements but the game base is the same.

More like chivalry is call of duty and mordhau is battlefield. Similar but different.

And as you said: "At this moment I understand that it appeals more to chiv veterans indeed". Maybe when it does not look like chivalry I will play. I will check the updates but it has to change a lot.

What is looking like chivalry? Graphics wise? The mechanics? Because if it's the last, then my friend you just wasted your money and should have looked at a gameplay video before paying for it.

Since Slasher days you could already see what this game was gonna be like.

And I think I'm not the only one who thinks like that, but maybe the people is tired of saying it and not even enter the forum, like me, almost a month without login.

What you do not understand is that is that we (at least me and my more than 30 friends who bought the game) thought that Mordhau would not be what it is.

• BELIEVABLE FIGHTS. A game where fights look believable, Mordhau strikes a balance between gameplay and realism. Ballerinas and circus performers are replaced by carefully designed combat mechanics. We are confident that our system solves most of the common problems of this genre, and is also heaps of fun.
    --> Drags are realist? Timing block is realist? Blocking a maul with a dagger is realist?

No, but it's fun gameplay. The devs won't focus on realism. This is not Arma with swords. You just typed that yourself, balance between realism and gameplay, that is, game has unrealistic shit, but it's not on chivalry levels of backswings and all that.

I'd rather have these unrealistic but fun mechanics, then kingdom Come realism but boring and bland as fuck mechanics.

• Mordhau is being developed by Triternion. We're a young, 10-person international team driven by our passion for melee games and the medieval era. We've accumulated thousands of hours of playtime in awesome titles such as Chivalry, Mount & Blade, War of the Roses, the Jedi Knight series, and many others, too. Having been part of the community as players as well as content creators, we feel we’re in a unique position to use this experience to refine and further evolve the melee genre.
    --> What have Mordhau from Mount&Blade, WarOfTheRoses and many others... ¿Horses? But the combat system is Chivalry.

Chamber abd first hit flinch are 2 things from m&b for instance. Chivalry had by far best combat then these other 2 games, and it's first person. What is the problem in taking what worked good in chivalry?

Like I said, my +30 friends playing Mordhau are done. And I think we are not the only one who think like this.

Yeah idk what you guys expected really. I mean, didn't you watched any video of the fights? The second devblog, that explains clearly how the combat works?

848 694
  • 16 Oct '17
 EliteTeamKiller

@vanguard said:

===================================

Lol 30+ friends.

In any event, nothing has meaning apart from comparison to something else. Mordhau is a video game. How do we implement winding and krumphau and other shit into a video game? We don't. Instead, we place some limits on unrealistic tactics, while adding tactics closer to realism. Point is, it is MORE realistic than other medieval melee games. Certainly more realistic than Chivalry.

Most likely you just kept getting owned and are salty.

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 16 Oct '17
 EruTheTeapot

All those walltexts yet nobody is demanding... double k.o... is saves game..

111 131
  • 16 Oct '17
 Bang

A lot of the chiv comp players are on hiatus due to the lack of teamfighting and a lot of the casuals have been scared off due to lactose intolerance. Devs appear to be working on teamfighting mechanics, though I still think they need to dumb/slow the game down for casuals too.

Knight 2306 4188
  • 16 Oct '17
 Runagate

No they don't. Dividing a playerbase by implementing different modes with different levels of realism wouldn't be good for Mordhau. Everyone should have the same mechanics, regardless of skill level.

156 238
  • 16 Oct '17
 elToroGuapo

Horses in this game would be a fucking mistake.

Knight 2306 4188
  • 16 Oct '17
 Runagate

I really am not sure if you are just joking tbh

My 'spergers is triggering

Baron 20 13
  • 16 Oct '17
 Pulimuli

Ive had my share of 1v1 dueling for now. Waiting for more content and game modes ☺️

111 131
  • 16 Oct '17
 Bang

@Runagate

I meant dumb the game in in regards to the speed of attacks and placement of the skillgap. Place the skillgap on more intuitive mechanics such as movement/parrying/visual-spatial awareness rather than back and forth chamber/morphing such as this:

Don't misunderstand me, it's very satisfying to fight like this. Pulling off chambers feels novel. However, everyone fails to realize that Mordhau isn't a 1v1 game and these mechanics such as chambering improve 1v1 but at the cost of inhibited target switches and movement (wizard would get hit here if he target switched). The backpedal speed, sprint acceleration, attack lunge, kicks, attack speed, and weapon balance all seem catered for 1v1 and really stifle movement. I genuinely think we need to stop trying to make chambering the foundation of fighting as it affects teamfighting too much.

80 286
  • 16 Oct '17
 wizardish

@Bang said:
@Runagate

I meant dumb the game in in regards to the speed of attacks and placement of the skillgap. Place the skillgap on more intuitive mechanics such as movement/parrying/visual-spatial awareness rather than back and forth chamber/morphing such as this:

Don't misunderstand me, it's very satisfying to fight like this. Pulling off chambers feels novel. However, everyone fails to realize that Mordhau isn't a 1v1 based game. If wizardish target switches here he'll get hit. The backpedal speed, sprint acceleration, lunge, kick mechanics and attack speed all seem to really stifle movement (evidenced by the absence of footwork in duels). The devs really need to decide if they want to make the mechanics and balancing to be more 1v1 centric or teamfight centric as one will likely have to forego the other.

In Chivalry you could most certainly make the case that the game wasn't 1v1 centric, it had more emphasis on team play. However, in Mordhau, I don't think that's necessarily true. When I first saw Mordhau I honestly thought it just looked like a duel simulator, and in some regards it absolutely is (in it's current state) but that doesn't always mean that team play suffers as a result. Also, I don't remember the devs ever saying there was priority in team play over duels. From what I've gathered, I think many of the devs like the idea of 1v1s and would support it much more than in Chivalry. I can't remember where, but I remember reading that matchmaking would most likely release 1v1 first, then 2v2, 3v3, etc.

Just to address a few things:

-I'm 99% sure when chambering you gain active parry, so actually I wouldn't be hit (game rewards me for getting a successful chamber, enemies have to react either with their own chamber or a parry.)

-I think your narrative that backpedal is such a huge issue is largely misleading for a number of reasons. Firstly, Mordhau has quite a big up in tempo compared to Chivalry. In Chivalry you had a lot of pause and combat was generally slower, for better or worse which meant that you were able to afford back pedaling more often, and it was generally the better thing to do. Personally, from my playing in the past month, I don't believe that back pedaling is as prevalent in Mordhau because you don't have a lot of instances where you would want to (in regards to team play, more so than duels.) The fast tempo of the game punishes you fairly quickly if you don't try to seize initiative. For example, if fighting a spear in a LTS setting, back pedaling is most definitely one of the worst things you can do. Spears basically have a giant zone which they control, and it can only be challenged by shoving them back. If you allow the spear to fight alongside its teammates, you will almost certainly get killed. This is increased further if you're back pedaling most of the time. Simply put, if you're back pedaling the fast pace of combat eventually catches up to you (no matter how good you are) and punishes you pretty heavily. This is my personal opinion, however, and is of course not necessarily true in all scenarios (maybe you need health or stam?).

Secondly, I think you may dislike backpedal because it seems to counter your playstyle. From what I've observed fighting you in game, you are pretty good at swing manipulation and playing a fast-paced aggressive style. When people backpedal, wait, and then kick you it probably doesn't feel very good because you're getting punished despite holding initiative for most of the fight. I think this is really just a case of 'git gud', though - and it's not to attack you or your play style, you're obviously better than most players. During the first few days of alpha I was dueling RB in our private server and getting completely fucked by kicks. I was about ready to go and complain about kicks but I gradually started to learn how to fight them. Eventually I learned to play around kicks well enough to the point where he was getting consistently punished for trying to go for kicks. The thing about kicks is there are very obvious situations where you should use them and situations where you should NOT use them - there's very little in between (except for a gamble or something). The same applies to back pedaling, however I struggle to understand what your gripe is with back pedaling (if I remember correctly, you also disliked it in chiv). Footwork still exists in Mordhau and is very prevalent, that is probably where the majority of your chiv hours will translate. With the recent strafing buff, footwork is even more encouraged, and from what I think, feels awesome. In your particular case I choose to back pedal because I have no other option against repetitive foot drags (I could try to run or jump into them, but I'm not good enough - I'm still developing the muscle memory to do that). You don't try to attempt chambers from what I've experienced which furthers my need to backpedal, because you play off of ripostes and large foot drags (which again, there is nothing wrong with, but this is simply the natural counter to that kind of play style). I've had plenty of fights where I hardly backpedal, but those fights generally involve more chambering and feint play relative to swing manipulation.

-Kicks, and movement in general are in a great spot IMO. I think that once hand hits are removed, kicks will be in the best spot possible. Right now they're really frustrating to fight because so many times they hit you only because you decided to wind up, whereas if you hadn't winded up at all they wouldn't have hit you.

With all that being said, it's important to remember, once more, that it is in alpha. I think that the lack of a perks system (full plate zwei/halberd) compounds some of these issues that you have outlined. I personally dislike lunge in it's current state for some weapons like spear (you can jump and wind up with spear making you unpunishable). As these things are fine tuned, I think a lot of these perceived issues will subside, or maybe not, we'll see.