Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

"The 180 drag"

Knight 16 26
  • 8 Oct '17
 MalleusadFaciem

There is a turn speed cap during swings right? Because this video right here completely defies that.
Allowing skilled players to do "drags" which defeat the turn speed cap at the start of their swing.
watch it in 0.5X speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkj5ztLqzmI

MordhauBS2.gif

Knight 1837 2232
  • 8 Oct '17
 Void

You might want to check this thread also:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/11128/some-explain-to-me-wtf-this-is-right-now/?page=1

From what I can see it's about the same thing.
In this thread Crushed stated that they intend to remove those spins. They clearly don't want them in the game.

Knight 16 26
  • 8 Oct '17
 MalleusadFaciem

I need some answers. Having a turn cap should have solved this completely. The motion you see in this video is a complete defiance of the turn speed cap, or is it not??

1315 2881
  • 8 Oct '17
 Monsteri

He's not actually looking at you so the turn cap seems to work as intended, it's just that his weapon is not fixated on the center of his torso.

Personally I think these kinds of attacks look very cool, so I'm not against them as long as they don't become meta.

Edit: you were taking about speed, nevermind. It does look pretty fast.

Knight 1837 2232
  • 8 Oct '17
 Void

@Monsteri said:

Personally I think these kinds of attacks look very cool, so I'm not against them as long as they don't become meta.

I kind of agree. They are also quite easy to parry. I wouldn't mind if they stayed but devs know better.
On the negative side, idk if they add something significant to the game and they may be perceived as bs cheating by the new guys.

Knight 399 873
  • 10 Oct '17
 Alphonse

Fun Fact.

From the moment the guy turns around, windups and grunts, to the instant you parry, a total of 10 frames took place. That means your reaction had to be between 150 ms to 200 ms to parry the attack.

Well done.

Knight 2308 4188
  • 10 Oct '17
 Runagate

fun fact, 250ms is the average human reaction time

Duke 5562 13285
  • 10 Oct '17
 Jax — Community Manager

ye but 250ms is a blind reaction test with no external stimuli

in mordy windup anims prepare you for what's about to happen (unless they feint)

26 13
  • 10 Oct '17
 Gauvin

That 360 move requires the the guy doing it to have quite high sensitivity and therefore lose stab and overhead accuracy as well as accel/drag control, so the ones who do it are not necessarily better off. I have nothing against this move. It is not hard to read either.

Knight 399 873
  • 10 Oct '17
 Alphonse

@Jax said:
ye but 250ms is a blind reaction test with no external stimuli

in mordy windup anims prepare you for what's about to happen (unless they feint)

Exactly. Reaction speed can be relaxed a little when the windup is obvious. Also when body distortion or footing is not confusing for your brain.

Knight 331 456
  • 11 Oct '17
 TwistedFox

@Gauvin said:
That 360 move requires the the guy doing it to have quite high sensitivity and therefore lose stab and overhead accuracy as well as accel/drag control, so the ones who do it are not necessarily better off. I have nothing against this move. It is not hard to read either.

Sensitivity has nothing to do with swings, watch the dev blogs

Knight 528 3386
  • 11 Oct '17
 rob_owner

he hardly even spins, this is just "no backswings" working as it should, if it were chiv you would have gotten hit by the sword before he could slightly turn right.

after hitting your parry, because he is no longer in windup, he is getting his normal sense back, so he can just go back to looking at you, adding to the illusion that he spun like a dreidel

Duke 5562 13285
  • 11 Oct '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Whether or not it's a viable move, it looks bad and should be gotten rid of. The devs said they want fights to look like fights, and usually this involves you looking at the person you're trying to kill

Knight 331 456
  • 11 Oct '17
 TwistedFox

@Jax said:
Whether or not it's a viable move, it looks bad and should be gotten rid of. The devs said they want fights to look like fights, and usually this involves you looking at the person you're trying to kill

I don't think you really look at the person when throwing out an attack, defensively, while parrying and such, you'd look at the opponent just like in Mordhau. I think if two people stared right at each other during a fight it would look pretty funny, just like how combat would look if you got rid of drags altogether. I really don't think drags like this need to be gotten rid of, rather they'd draw in more people, especially since it's not a full 360 swing like in chiv. But sorry, I've DRAGGED on far too long.

Duke 5562 13285
  • 11 Oct '17
 Jax — Community Manager

you might not be locking eyes all the time, but you're generally facing them. that's what makes the game look good to a casual observer, not looking 180° away from a guy mid swing like in CMW. That's just my opinion though

mm I actually watched the video and it's not that bad in terms of exploiting anything, I'm pretty sure if you didn't parry and slightly sidestepped left (away from the sword) he would have gone into recovery

Knight 16 26
  • 13 Oct '17
 MalleusadFaciem

You may not be able to see it from the GIF, but you can slo-mo it on youtube, and the moral of this story is, from the moment of release to the parry, you can see his character turn a very complete 180 degree turn.

I cannot do this. the turn cap does not allow me to complete a 180 even if I start turning before release.

EDIT: Nvm i tried it with the longsword and it's doable. I think I tried it with the greatsword before.
I'm not really too worried about it at this point. And yes btw it looks pretty cool.

Duke 162 274
  • 13 Oct '17
 BEACHES

I was fucking around in duels doing this with the messer and it's hilarious how it confuses some people. The smart ones just hit me in the back tho....

22 26
  • 13 Oct '17
 Tyto

(saw this on another post, had to share)
https://youtu.be/ZKqaXFPCCOo

Knight 331 456
  • 13 Oct '17
 TwistedFox

@Tyto said:
https://youtu.be/ZKqaXFPCCOo

pls don steal memeorinies

22 26
  • 13 Oct '17
 Tyto

@TwistedFox said:

@Tyto said: