Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Duels with RB & Fart Sniffer

80 286
  • 8 Oct '17
 wizardish

Sorry for the frame drops at certain points.

Knight 697 1611
  • 8 Oct '17
 das

good morph and counter morph play, not a lot of people I've dueled are at this level yet, people still fall for chamber morph feints

pro tip for viewers: every time you see flaccid boner lose stamina on a chamber, that means he had to morph to be able to chamber. A weakness of morph chambering is that it still loses out to drags, so optimal chambering is to wait and chamber the morphed attack, but waiting to do so might just get you hit by a normal chamber because it's fast.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 8 Oct '17
 vanguard

It's disturbing how I haven't seen one fucked up drag like frisedrag, footdrags, radical stab drags and shit. The duels I have with people here in Latin America is basically who can make more fucked up drags, most attacks I don't even bother trying to chamber anymore

Knight 1836 2232
  • 8 Oct '17
 Void

Really nice fights. It was certainly enjoyable to watch. Especially the chamber exchanges.
How do you guys read feints and morphs so well?
Also, might I ask, what is your usual ping?
I try to figure out if I can, at least theoretically, reach that level someday.

Knight 697 1611
  • 8 Oct '17
 das

@vanguard said:
It's disturbing how I haven't seen one fucked up drag like frisedrag, footdrags, radical stab drags and shit. The duels I have with people here in Latin America is basically who can make more fucked up drags, most attacks I don't even bother trying to chamber anymore

There's a sort of gentleman's agreement, you can definitely make shit unchamberable if you keep mixing up-down torso 240s that may or may not be LMB/overhead/underswings.

How do you guys read feints and morphs so well? Also, might I ask, what is your usual ping?

Chambering becomes really hard starting around 70 ping I feel. It's a matter of practice, simple as that. Deliberately try to practice this skill rather than just dueling for fun and KD. Find people who will chamber morph you. Start simple if you must, find someone who only morphs to overheads so you can first learn the timing rather than worry about LMB and underswings as well. Notice how they almost always backpedal too. That, and the weapons aren't extreme like rapiers.

Pro tip for morph chamber: when you see them stab from the right, you know they can ONLY morph to a right strike, and vise versa. When you see them strike, you know they can only morph it to a stab. If you want to be able to morph to recorrect your chamber, try to match their stab direction too so that, if they morph, your morph will match the correct X direction as well.

80 286
  • 8 Oct '17
 wizardish

@Void said:
Really nice fights. It was certainly enjoyable to watch. Especially the chamber exchanges.
How do you guys read feints and morphs so well?
Also, might I ask, what is your usual ping?

Practice is really the biggest thing. Don't be afraid to chamber, find out what works and what doesn't. With most things it'll eventually "click" and you'll suddenly have a big jump in what you're capable of.

As for reading feints/morphs, all of us put in thousands of hours in chiv which definitely helps. I find feints to be very readable in this game despite some of the poorer animations that are in right now. I think it will be easier for most players with the animation cleanup patch.

My ping was consistently around 36-40, Fart Sniffer was at 56-60, and Rob was at 76-80. You can notice this pattern in the video as he often takes free hits or is unable to chamber in time. Playing on 80 ping in this game is horrible, much much worse than chiv. I tried playing on a west coast server the other day where I had 90+ and it was completely unplayable. Unplayable ping in chiv was much much higher, like 120+

80 286
  • 8 Oct '17
 wizardish

@vanguard said:

We play to improve, and not necessarily to win via some of the stuff you mentioned. The game is in alpha, and as such, is subject to change pretty dramatically as the devs iron out the core mechanics in preparation for beta and fine-tuning. Stab drags haven't really been an issue (for us), and are generally very readable if you put the practice in.

The only footdrags that are super difficult to chamberable are the very extreme ones that just barely hit your toes. All other drags are easily chambered in my experience, it's just a matter of timing. In the video I chamber a lot of drags but also get hit by a lot - the timing is a bit more difficult on drags just because of how I see the animations.

As for this "frisedrag" or "wessex", which was originally named as a "rainbow" (I have no clue how you guys arrived to these names), they aren't very practical or applicable to a lot of situations. Even if players started putting in the practice to consistently do it, it could potentially be tweaked.

In any case, I feel sorry for you if that's the case in Latin America. Chambers are really fun and rewarding. I hate playing like the game is in chiv mode, and I would encourage players to not play like it's chiv, as that is what the game is trying to get rid of and hopefully eventually will.

edit: I should also note that in chamber exchanges swing manipulation takes less precedent over feints/morphs. Most weapons can't really easily drag during a chamber. The fights then turn into reading and outplaying your opponent rather than trying to drag around their parry.

Knight 1836 2232
  • 8 Oct '17
 Void

@Das and @Wizardish

Thank you for the info and the tips.
Unfortunately I play with 100 ping.
It saddens me to know that as long as I live here, I won't be able to experience Mordhau as I should.
I still enjoy it of course. It's a wonderful game.

Count 671 1131
  • 8 Oct '17
 Zexis

good stuff, inspires me to focus on chambers more

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 8 Oct '17
 vanguard

@wizardish said:

In any case, I feel sorry for you if that's the case in Latin America. Chambers are really fun and rewarding. I hate playing like the game is in chiv mode, and I would encourage players to not play like it's chiv, as that is what the game is trying to get rid of and hopefully eventually will.

Yeah, not only I find it kinda boring to fight against, because it also forces me to go full chiv, I also find it legit infuriating tbh.

I don't blame my fellow players though​, I think they got a very good play to win spirit that forces us to git gud violently or get fucked. It shows the real state of the game, has its value imho, it's just really boring and annoying to fight against lmao, specially if you, like me, want to chamber everything while using light class.

Truly infuriating experience lmao, to get one shoted by weird as fuck drag that u tried to chamber.

These fucked drags are just way too efficient. Man, Frise does some really, really fucking good drags, he is truly gay imho

Knight 1269 3811
  • 9 Oct '17
 Frise

hey man sorry I didn't know it frustrated you, u can just say "unbind parry go" and we'll have some chamber fests anytime!

I don't do it to win tho, I just have the most fun perfecting every move

@vanguard said:
Man, Frise does some really, really fucking good drags, he is truly gay imho

'das all true tho B)

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 9 Oct '17
 vanguard

You must play the way you want to tbh, don't mind these things imho. As I said, it's a pain to fight against this, but has its value.

Chambers in a controlled environment is kinda boring, I like when it happens naturally in the fights. Besides, I feel like fucking melee Jesus when I chamber the gay shit u do lmao