Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Alpha Build #6 Discussion Thread

105 685
  • 25 Sep '17
 Spook — UI

Here's the patch notes: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/10158/changelog-thread/

What do you guys think of the changes? Discuss them here!

105 685
  • 25 Sep '17
 Spook — UI

This topic has been pinned.

6 12
  • 25 Sep '17
 Arnzeal

Excellent work, looking forward to test it out.

1920 968

I am..

Truly impressed by the willingness you guys show to at least try and test new things.

I don't know if the acceleration/body bending improvements will stay in the final game, but the fact that you guys are willing to try, makes me believe that however this final product turns out, it's likely going to be great.

Thank you..

Duchess 806 3550
  • 25 Sep '17
 Stouty

6 patches in whilst torn banner can't update their game with first hit flinch - blessed

Knight 37 35

Every changelog seems to have this "removed herobrine" type of running gag, only this time the bots are "afraid of heights".

1wilev.jpgfacepalm_by_wolkenfels_stock-d51moms.jpg

Knight 2307 4188
  • 25 Sep '17
 Runagate

It refers to a pathfinding issue where bots refuse to fall any distance to get from point a to point b. It's not a joke.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 25 Sep '17
 Frise

The right hand clips the eveningstar's head. Also wtf are these colour options?
Cool update though.
20170925202850_1.jpg

Knight 196 414

THEY BUFFED SPEAR!!! :DDD

111 131
  • 26 Sep '17
 Bang

You guys need to address inconsistent team-fighting mechanics, backpedaling incentives, kicks, and the vanguard weapon meta. The game is overly rewarding for playing lame.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 26 Sep '17
 Frise

You guys need to address inconsistent team-fighting mechanics, backpedaling incentives, kicks, and the vanguard weapon meta. The game is overly rewarding for playing lame.

What inconsistent mechanics? Backpedaling is a necessary unless you want a cancerous face-hug meta, the kicks are being constantly tweaked, and the "vanguard weapon meta" will be addressed when the perk system comes into place.

The game doesn't reward "lame", it's just that whiny idiots lose to basic drags and feints and break down thinking that the actual serious meta is like that.

111 131
  • 26 Sep '17
 Bang

The game doesn't reward "lame", it's just that whiny idiots lose to basic drags and feints and break down thinking that the actual serious meta is like that.

Don't strawman me - I have no problem with feints and drags. Active parry is inconsistent and starts only where your parry starts - you can't turn it towards an oncoming attack and block it, assuming it even goes off. Also, since active parry is only a cone in front of you, teamfighting is no longer about being a parry/riposte bot but about being a backpedal halberd player. Facehugging can be mitigated with fluid movement and knockback - which the game is lacking atm.

Edit: The skillgap in chivalry was centered around teamfighting and isn't as high in mordhau as I'd like it to be. In chivalry, if I die in a 1vX situation, I immediately recognize what I could've done better/differently. In mordhau, once I'm surrounded, there's hardly anything I can do.

Mercenary 83 73

Seems like a good update but it's still possible to Morph without any Stamina...

Duke 5558 13284
  • 26 Sep '17
 Jax — Community Manager

I think a lot of the issues of unwinnable teamfights arise from a few things

1. Heavy armor / bik weapon bias:
If you don't wear heavy armor, you get destroyed by halberds and zweis.
If you do wear heavy armor, you're not maneuverable enough to escape from Xv1's.
Fix: Loadout system, Soon™

2. Active parry inconsistency:
Totally agree here - active parry doesn't work like it should, and feels hit-or-miss when trying to fight with or against it. In theory, you could be in a 3v1 with all your enemies in front of you, and use a stab chamber morphed into a strike to block all three enemies' attacks and hit one of them. Doesn't really function reliably at the moment, but in time I think they'll polish it up.
Fix: rework the underlying systems of active parry attacks, and add better audiovisual queues.

3. Kick cheese / backpedal cheese
Ties back into a few things, most notably each other and the armor/equipment biases that are currently possible. A player with light armor should be able to avoid aggressive kickers wearing heavy, while someone who's wearing heavy and fighting an aggressive kicker in light armor (IMO) should need to counter kicks with clashes or reading/prediction + punishes. I think having less mobility shouldn't just affect how quickly you move, but also what techniques are more effective.
Backpedal got a little buff and I think that's good, since in a Xv1 fight you're usually stuck in between a mosh of enemies who are taking turns hitting and kicking you (quickly) to death. With better mobility and being able to manage distance better, you won't see as much facehug. I see lot of people (even at higher skill levels, much better than me) who aren't used to managing range - in CMW it's pretty much in range or out of reach - in Mordhau it's a lot more nuanced IMO. When you combine a currently popular playstyle of facehugging with less ability to get out of range, that's where kicks become overly important - since you're in kick range way more than you should be.
Fix: continued tweaking of kicks and mobility (once the loadout system is in place).

Knight 1388 3163
  • 26 Sep '17
 Tim_Fragmagnet

The 25ms change on spear thrusts is exactly what it needed.

The 100ms faster combo is too much and will probably be completely removed.

67 158
  • 26 Sep '17
 Flippy

Oh my god Jax, they buffed matrixing. This is very exciting. We must train harder.

Duke 5558 13284
  • 26 Sep '17
 Jax — Community Manager
  • Netcode seems to feel better, need more testing on my end
  • Hit sound bug seems to be gone
  • Bardiche feels much more viable
  • Rapier is still strong as hell still BUT chamber lockout reduces cheese significantly. Additionally, maybe a 25ms nerf to strike windups would be useful. Rapier seems to just steal the initiative in fights since you're forced to parry all but the most obvious horizontal strikes (could be an L2P issue though).
  • Backpedal changes feel good, seems to have "opened up" fights in terms of range. Disengaging seems a little more viable.
  • noticed how weird some kicks were in build 5, haven't noticed any issues now. Need more time though
  • "morphs can now chamber" does this mean both windups can chamber their respective angles or what?

Crouch spine bending for non attacks is now 85% (75% previously)
    Spine bending for non attacks increased, is now 100% (75% previously)

• Looks dope, will give more results when flippy and I test tomorrow

Spear lowered stab windups by 25ms, increased stab release 25ms, decreased stab combo times by 100ms

• needed buff, might be too much or might just be @moepork pushing my shit in. will continue to test

Fixed squat sliding

• press f to pay respects
Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 26 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

Fixed squat sliding

RIP Mordhau Kart

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 26 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

How the hell did people even find that?

Knight 1388 3163
  • 26 Sep '17
 Tim_Fragmagnet

@Jax said:

Spear lowered stab windups by 25ms, increased stab release 25ms, decreased stab combo times by 100ms

• needed buff, might be too much or might just be @moepork pushing my shit in. will continue to test

The 25ms change was much needed for the spear's thrusts.
The combo speed increase however, crushed and I both agree, it was too much.
You're probably getting dunked on by the memespeed combos.

As it stands however, I feel the spear thrusts are in a pretty good spot after this buff.
Can't really say much as to how further buffs of this nature would affect balance, but right now they do not feel needed.