Mordhau

Momentum of hits 2 (Explanation)

Baron 26 10
  • 24 Sep '17
 DarkLandsknecht

Right, so aparently my idea was very badly taken, and some were also confusing me with some ANALGRINDER around here, but no, not the same person. Now, it seems very weird to me that it had such bad response, I mean, not logically bad, it was like a very strong hate towards trading hits and stuff. So, there were some very strong earthquakes around where I live, and I couldn't see the replies or even explain better what I was talking about, cause in all the responses, I didn't see a valid argument. Plus, the topic was closed by some moron admin, when I didn't even see what was going on or what did everyone think. Now, let me rephrase it again: The idea is that he who goes in to the attack against an opponent who isn't acknowledging his attack either, should get both punished, for being reckless. The logic is that the hits reward those who outplay the opponent, not those who have the faster weapon. That, and when an attack is in full momentum, and you don't stop it, it's gonna keep going, or at least for some time. That's what I mean with not rewarding close calls, but planned attacks
The very thing that attracted people to this game was the realism and historical accuracy to some degree, like the mordhau or mobility in plate armor, even the chambering and clashing of active swords. I don't understand why this shouldn't be something else in that category. If that isn't what separates Mordhau to other medieval games (Realism and historical accuracy) or even fighting games in general, I think this will be another Chivalry in some months. It all goes together, even the fanbase it's getting in, and I must say, what I saw in the first disscusion about this topic, was dissapointing, embarassing and a bit frustrating, cause I thought we were finally getting a better fanbase than other games, but please, prove me wrong.
If this isn't the Mordhau I was talking about earlier, then, this is not the game I think some of us were expecting. I am a piece of that community, and probably a small one, but I think I know what I am talking about.

Knight 1269 3810
  • 24 Sep '17
 Frise

When two players attack at the same time, clashes happen. In clashes, the weapons collide and both players can keep comboing simultaneously. In these exchanges, the player who hits first flinchs their opponent, meaning there will never be a hit trade. Now, hitting first is not only dependent on your weapon's speed; what's most important is your footwork, aim and attack choice (and also your weapon's range). A decent player with a slow weapon will know how to position themselves so that they can hit the other player without getting hit themselves.

Actual hit trades will never be a thing because they ruin competitive play. They enable playstyles involving high-damage weapons purposefully trading hits with weaker weapons, which is ridiculous and not fun at all.

If you hit the opponent first, it's because you had better positioning, timing, aim, and/or your opponent didn't feint-to-parry. It's only logical that the other player gets punished.

Anyway, devs clearly stated that melee hit trades will never be a thing in Mordhau.

301 875
  • 24 Sep '17
 Naleaus

The reason hit trades are so vehemently argued against in almost any form is due to Chivalry. The lack of first hit flinch and the ability to trade lowered the amount of skill considerably, as you could force trades with strong weapons easily. Your idea is pretty poorly worded but

The idea is that he who goes in to the attack against an opponent who isn't acknowledging his attack either, should get both punished, for being reckless.

sounds like you want some form of hit trades.

Now Mordhau has been designed with first hit flinch from the start. The weapons are (or will eventually be) balanced around it. The game isn't being made to be as realistic as possible. Where realism doesn't interfere with skillful gameplay, then it's fine. But implementing hit trades of any sort (except thrown weapons apparently) is not going to happen, per the devs.

Lastly, your topic was torn apart because the community has been here for a few years waiting, and most of these topics have been discussed ad nauseam.

Baron 664 1304
  • 24 Sep '17
 PJ_Ammas

I didn't see a valid argument. Plus, the topic was closed by some moron admin

dis gon b good

Knight 2273 4089
  • 24 Sep '17
 Runagate

Ironically, the lack of hit trading is one of the many reasons this game will not become another Chivalry.

Knight 31 79
  • 24 Sep '17
 λdambomb

You want messer hit trade meta back? Because thats how you get messer hittrade meta back.

Knight 255 349
  • 24 Sep '17
 Ƭheodore

cause in all the responses, I didn't see a valid argument.

Did you read them? Just gonna copy and paste what I said in the other thread.

This existed in chivalry. While it sounds more realistic and better to you, it was easily the worst thing about chivalry. Very frustrating to deal with, and it made caveman playstyles viable - all you had to do was equip maul or Messer and never stop swinging and you'll at least get an even k/d. First hit flinch makes the game more enjoyable and more skill based.

Hit trading means that when somebody starts an attack directed at you, you don't have to worry about blocking or chambering because you can just start an attack with your heavy weapon after them and hit the other person. It's a boring and messy way to play the game

Baron 26 10
  • 24 Sep '17
 DarkLandsknecht

What I mean is that there should be a time limit in which you can hit too, a small one, it doesn't have to exactly like Chivalry, cause what I am talking about is close calls, where both had an attack incoming form different directions, but one had the bit faster weapon, started the attack after his opponent and got the hit by a close call, not skill. And from what I've seen, hit trading as a very important part of fighting, where you have to evaluate how risky it would be to attack as the same time as the opponent, and get away with it, like, if the other guy is thrusting, but won't hit and you are swinging, and will hit. The other case is when both attack, but you see that your attack is directed to the face and his is directed at a foot. In that case, it makes perfect sense that the one attacking the head will have less flinching from a foot wound, than someone getting stabbed in the face.

Knight 2273 4089
  • 24 Sep '17
 Runagate

Mordhau fighting ≠ Irl fighting.

Mordhau will not have hit trades in any form, as the devs have repeatedly and very clearly stated. Stop asking for it.

Knight 1269 3810
  • 24 Sep '17
 Frise

@DarkLandsknecht said:
started the attack after his opponent and got the hit by a close call, not skill.

He started the attack after his opponent, therefore he should have feinted to parry. Since he didn't, he gets punished for his mistake. That's how competitive games work.

You could have just read my previous comment though. When too players attack in a very similar time window, they clash. It's a way better alternative than hit trades.