Mordhau

Regarding no longer selling alpha keys...

2 1
  • 23 Sep '17
 Malonik-IPX

Hello everyone,

Let me start by setting the scene for you...

You've been gaming for a very long time (roughly 25 years)... You've over-zealously played your way through every gaming genre that exists... You've devoted countless hours / days / weeks / months / YEARS to some of the games... It's about this point that you start to see a lot (and I mean A LOT) of games coming out that are just rinse and repeat of things that have already been done 500 times... Now jump forward another 5 years of this stagnant wasteland of gaming not interesting you... The games that peak your interest or look amazing are few and far between... You spend months popping onto steam, origin, gog, battle net - any game selling platform you can think of desperately looking for something, anything to light that old spark, to re-ignite your passion and love of gaming... Alas nothing.... Just pages and pages and pages of games that are garbage or asset dumps...

Then... out of nowhere (a.k.a r/gaming on reddit)... you see a gif.... it.... it seems to be some sort of glorious medieval masterpiece of gaming... the animations.... the combat.... OMG.... could this really be!? Is this actually happening!?!??!?.... You race to the comments of the post and quickly learn the name of the game... Mordhau.... IMMEDIATELY get steam open and search... nothing... BROWSER NOW!!!.... Okay..... found the website.... watch the trailer.... hit youtube for some gameplay videos..... Omg the heavens have opened up and graced you with something that you are finally EXTREMELY interested in!!!

You let out a gleeful cry of sheer happiness as you link the site to your friends and head back to the site ready to buy keys for you and a handful of friends already envisioning how amazing it is going to be getting to thoroughly enjoy a game with your fri-------------

"Unfortunately, we are no longer selling alpha keys!"

Wait.... but.... no.......NO...........FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

The above explains how insanely bored I have been with the gaming scene recently as well as the rollercoaster of emotions that I experienced this morning thus far. Since that happened I've started hunting around, desperately trying to get at the very least two keys.

I've written this post for two reasons, primarily to vent my frustration with not being able to buy this incredible game / voice a few thoughts on why closing off the alpha key buying is a terrible idea in my opinion. Secondly to see if anyone has two spare keys they'd be willing to part with.

Why you should still be selling keys:

• First and foremost - inflation - with no official channels to buy keys from those of us that are only just finding out about the game and would do just about anything to get into it are basically going to get screwed. In my brief search thus far I've found 1 guy that was willing to sell me a key for $300 USD. Now because you have taken the store down I can't even check the actual price for the key so I have no idea how inflated that is (I'm assuming you guys aren't charging $300 USD for your game) but it does present a glaring problem with what you've done. People are VERY interested in your game. People want to support that and people want to play it. In closing the store you've now made access to your game a finite resource that people are actively abusing for profit.
  • I spend an absurd amount of time on gaming websites / communities / game selling platforms and I only just found out about your game via a gameplay gif on reddit. If I'm only just finding out about it I guarantee there's a hell of a lot more people that will find out, get super excited and then slam straight into the brick wall that I hit earlier which will then lead to one of two things... Either their hype will die seeming as they can't play it or they'll desperately go hunting for a key and get screwed over hard by paying insane amount of cash for one.
  • The more people you have playing / streaming / making vids for your game the more attention it gets and the bigger it can be on launch. I know that in a dev post you've said that you don't want to open up the floodgates before it's ready but from the gameplay videos I've been watching everyone is ranting and raving about how it doesn't even feel like an alpha and is more complete than some recently released titles! Have more faith in your game, it looks amazing and people are not going to burn out early on it if you let them in now.
  • Finally and personally the most important point - I REALLY WANT TO PLAY YOUR #$&^@ING GAME DAMN IT! >_< lol

Ultimately I know that the devs would have sat down, discussed the decision and have chosen what they believe to be the right way to deal with this. Additionally I can't really complain because they're making an incredible game that I will hopefully get to play one day. I just want to have a bitch and voice my thoughts on it all.

Lastly - if anyone does have a few spare keys that they want to sell to me for a reasonable price I'd be very interested!!! I'll keep an eye on this thread so reply / PM me / message me on steam / etc and thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Mal

Knight 18 25
  • 24 Sep '17
 ActionCow

Okay, no need for the master's thesis there dude.
They were selling keys via the site, then valve told them they'd have to release in early access or stop doing that. So they stopped.
They won't sell any more, at all.

1394 3949
  • 24 Sep '17
 TombstoneJack

^dat

your best bet is to trade for one (gl with that lol) but more than likely youll just need to sit down and wait like the rest of us tormented souls

darkestcrimson-1497882083726_270h.jpgembrace the pain suffering grants strength

Knight 66 72
  • 24 Sep '17
 DoubleK

Sad story, bro. Hope you find someone selling keys. Also keep in mind there are some Mordhau streamers doing giveaways, so check that out.

Baron 578 966
  • 24 Sep '17
 lash

tldr.

Git gut and actually buy keys when they are available.. :-Đ

Wait for Beta release, that should be more accessible. But don't take my word for it :>

1394 3949
  • 24 Sep '17
 TombstoneJack

@lash said:
tldr.

Git keys are available.. :-Đ

Beta release, more accessible. But take my word for it :>

LASH SAYS YOU CAN BUY INTO THE BETA PILLAGE THE STORE

Baron 664 1302
  • 24 Sep '17
 PJ_Ammas

Stop it with your stupid ellipses... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

2 1
  • 24 Sep '17
 Malonik-IPX

Cheapest I can find it for is $200 USD... so $400 USD for the two keys.....

Guess I'll give that money to some random rather than the devs... :)

Knight 2266 4081
  • 24 Sep '17
 Runagate

They don't want the game to get big right now. It would hurt the game. It's an unfinished bare-bones alpha. That's all there is to say on the matter. It will not go into early access ever.

Knight 6 5
  • 24 Sep '17
 JulyO_o

I don't see why inflation is a bad thing nor something the developers should be concerned about.
People selling it overpriced bought it fair and square, if some people have no patience and are ready to pay $300 for then too bad for them (or good for them once they get to play).

You sound like a spoiled child that should be given whatever he wants immediately for no reason. There are many reason not to release a game to the broad public when it is not completely finished and I can only praise the devs for doing it rather than selling a half finished product. The devs get to decide when the product looks like something they when to present, something they feel is complete and that's the way it should be.

Just be patient or pay an excessive price.

Empress 380 890
  • 24 Sep '17
 Soulcatcher

VALVE TOLD THEM TO STOP SELLING KEYS ON THE WEBSITE FOR REASONS THAT ARE STATED IN NUMEROUS OTHER THREADS

THANK YOU DIDNT READ

Knight 83 115
  • 24 Sep '17
 Mufflin

If you cared at all about this game you would have bought a key during the months it was for sale.

Knight 143 310
  • 24 Sep '17
 Sir Boring

I won't be surprised if they start selling or giving away keys once they release the 32v32 mode. Gonna need a lot of people to fill those servers up.

22 26
  • 26 Sep '17
 Tyto

@Mufflin said:
If you cared at all about this game you would have bought a key during the months it was for sale.

As stated by him, and I fall within the same category, is that we discovered the game to late to obtain a key or back the kickstarter.

Baron 578 966
  • 26 Sep '17
 lash

Hey, if you missed the kickstarter and even the shop, it's maybe better that you wait for Beta or maybe even release. I'm not saying that in offensive way, but the game at it's current state, while fun, is really an alpha in definition of the word.

35 82
  • 26 Sep '17
 Rumpel

Then... out of nowhere (a.k.a r/gaming on reddit)... you see a gif.... it.... it seems to be some sort of glorious medieval masterpiece of gaming... the animations.... the combat.... OMG.... could this really be!?

but then.. you realise... that this game... isnt a funny ragdoll knight game... and you need to pour... thousands of hours... to be good at it... and you probably wont enjoy it... because its full of 5k hours in chiv nerds...

Knight 2266 4081
  • 26 Sep '17
 Runagate

I have zero hours in Chivalry and I'm having the time of my life

Why so many dots though

2388 4850
  • 26 Sep '17
 Maci

Mercenary 21 26
  • 27 Sep '17
 Yosefamsili

I sell my code to anyone who wants to send a message in details

Duchess 6885 9857
  • 27 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

@Yosefamsili said:
I sell my code to anyone who wants to send a message in details

You've said this everywhere EXCEPT the place you should've done it.