Mordhau

Sound effects / audio cues suggestions to improve gameplay?

12 24
  • 23 Sep '17
 Wild_Bread_Tamer

So I've used the search function to see what previous discussions were had regarding the sound design in the game and what can be added in to improve gameplay, and I've only found the one thread by Jax from more than a year ago.

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/519/audio-cues-for-gameplay/

Jax had some great suggestions in there, and I think the topic is worth bringing up again. So if you guys have any new suggestions to improve audio feedback for the player in-game, leave them here!

I have a suggestion of my own. If any of you are familiar with Dark Souls 3, the game featured a specific sound effect that played when you hit a player in a vulnerable state i.e. guard-broken and they take extra damage as a result (not talking about criticals). The sound effect was a lot like a deep thud / drumming sound, and I think it would be neat if a specific sound played when you headshotted a player in Mordhau, as it would make it easier to calculate hits to kill you have left if you know for certain you struck them in the head.

1 1
  • 23 Sep '17
 BASEDJustice

A noticable sound for 'riposting'

Knight 2261 5610
  • 23 Sep '17
 Rattsknecht

Louder steps and violent armor clanking.

Knight 473 689
  • 23 Sep '17
 VampireDuck

Definitely want louder steps. You really have to listen to hear someone walking up behind you. especially when people are fighting nearby.

Knight 759 1897
  • 23 Sep '17
 Frise

I just want a specific sound to play for headshots. It's pretty hard to tell wether you landed them or not rn.

Knight 1466 2288
  • 23 Sep '17
 Runagate

@BASEDJustice said:

A riposte is a faster attack that is started right after parrying succesfully. How would you make a sound for that?

Knight 302 1227
  • 23 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

@Runagate said:

@BASEDJustice said:

A riposte is a faster attack that is started right after parrying succesfully. How would you make a sound for that?

It is a no-brainer. There is a period after a successful parry during which your attack will be quicker. Obviously. All you have to do is have a sound play if someone begins their attack during this period.

Knight 759 1897
  • 23 Sep '17
 Frise

@LuxCandidus said:

@Runagate said:

@BASEDJustice said:

It is a no-brainer. There is a period after a successful parry during which your attack will be quicker. Obviously. All you have to do is have a sound play if someone begins their attack during this period.

What sound are you gonna put? Have the player scream "RIPOSTE NO-JUTSU" or some shit lol

Knight 302 1227
  • 23 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

@Frise said:
What sound are you gonna put? Have the player scream "RIPOSTE NO-JUTSU" or some shit lol

It really does not matter as long as it is distinct and cannot be confused with any other sound effect. Perhaps a quick whoosh would suffice as the player would naturally associate it with speed.

I do not think this adds anything of value to the game itself, but to people with no experience in the genre it would be highly useful. Riposte practise in the tutorial would be simpler if you had an unmistakable cue that told you when you did it correctly.

Knight 27 43
  • 23 Sep '17
 Sutinen

@Frise said:

@LuxCandidus said:

@Runagate said:

@BASEDJustice said:

Just a different kind of grunt.