Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Anyone else having trouble parrying?

Knight 7 5
  • 22 Sep '17
 Dire

I put over 2k hours into Chivalry and even did pretty decent as a competitive player at one time just as a little background on my experience with melee games.

Anyways does anyone find it very difficult to parry certain attacks in this game? Poleaxe and Eveningstar are two pretty good examples of some weapons that seem to be really difficult to consistently parry. I even played against someone with one of the two hand swords the other day that just seemed to be able to jump around and throw these weird angled attacks that I just couldn't figure out how to parry consistently.

Sure, the natural response is to just say get better at the game but like I said I do have a good bit of experience with games like this. I'm hoping to start a discussion and see what some other players thoughts are on parrying in Mordhau.

Knight 936 952
  • 22 Sep '17
 afiNity

Parries are pretty forgiving in this game. I think it's more of a problem with weird animations on some attacks, especially on drags.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 22 Sep '17
 Huggles

@Dire said:
I put over 2k hours into Chivalry and even did pretty decent as a competitive player at one time just as a little background on my experience with melee games.

Anyways does anyone find it very difficult to parry certain attacks in this game? Poleaxe and Eveningstar are two pretty good examples of some weapons that seem to be really difficult to consistently parry. I even played against someone with one of the two hand swords the other day that just seemed to be able to jump around and throw these weird angled attacks that I just couldn't figure out how to parry consistently.

Sure, the natural response is to just say get better at the game but like I said I do have a good bit of experience with games like this. I'm hoping to start a discussion and see what some other players thoughts are on parrying in Mordhau.

Look at the tip of the weapon and block it at the last possible second when you see it transitioning into release. Footwork comes into play too, it is easier to parry when back peddling or zoning your opponent.

Knight 7 5
  • 22 Sep '17
 Dire

@Huggles said:

@Dire said:
I put over 2k hours into Chivalry and even did pretty decent as a competitive player at one time just as a little background on my experience with melee games.

Anyways does anyone find it very difficult to parry certain attacks in this game? Poleaxe and Eveningstar are two pretty good examples of some weapons that seem to be really difficult to consistently parry. I even played against someone with one of the two hand swords the other day that just seemed to be able to jump around and throw these weird angled attacks that I just couldn't figure out how to parry consistently.

Sure, the natural response is to just say get better at the game but like I said I do have a good bit of experience with games like this. I'm hoping to start a discussion and see what some other players thoughts are on parrying in Mordhau.

Look at the tip of the weapon and block it at the last possible second when you see it transitioning into release. Footwork comes into play too, it is easier to parry when back peddling or zoning your opponent.

Yeah, I definitely try to do all of that. It still seems very inconsistent for certain attacks/weapons for me at least.

Count 53 97
  • 22 Sep '17
 Shifty

I get this sometimes. Another 2k chivalry player here.
Since the latest patch (#5) It feels like I'm fighting against the game. Multiple clicks in order for it to register inputs, moves being queued up, morphs more inconsistent. Not sure if its the game or I'm just buggering up the timings.

Duke 554 950
  • 22 Sep '17
 Goatie

It's to do with the animations. I could block any Accel or drag in chiv after 2.6k hours but something is very off in Mordhau. The drags and accels are worse in some ways. Even timing it while looking at tip of their weapon isn't enough sometimes. I wouldn't feel bad since the Devs know the animations or windups at least have issues. Not a case of get good, unless you aren't able to parry basic attacks that is.

3234 4264
  • 22 Sep '17
 Havoc

My main issue is having to frantically click for an input to register rather than the "difficulty" of parrying. It often feels like either the game locks up on inputs, or it constantly ques up attacks for combos I didn't want to bring out.

Count 671 1131
  • 22 Sep '17
 Zexis

Some side and/or low strikes feel weird to parry at times. It's like front blows I can just casually glance at to parry, whereas other strikes I have to turn hard and sniff the floor. More testing needed.

3234 4264
  • 22 Sep '17
 Havoc

@Zexis said:
Some side and/or low strikes feel weird to parry at times. It's like front blows I can just casually glance at to parry, whereas other strikes I have to turn hard and sniff the floor. More testing needed.

Toenailsweeperslash© no steal.

273 444
  • 22 Sep '17
 YOLANDIVISSER

Current opinion on parrying:

Aiming at weapon tip is NOT the way to do it. You have to aim somewhere between the weapon tip and the direction that your opponent is in. Something like right in the middle.

Uppercuts require an exaggerated lookdown parry that isn't really required for other swings. They're fucked up

Duke 162 274
  • 22 Sep '17
 BEACHES

@YOLANDIVISSER said:
Current opinion on parrying:

Aiming at weapon tip is NOT the way to do it. You have to aim somewhere between the weapon tip and the direction that your opponent is in. Something like right in the middle.

Uppercuts require an exaggerated lookdown parry that isn't really required for other swings. They're fucked up

Right now until they fix them, the game would be better with undercuts completely removed IMO

Knight 292 904
  • 22 Sep '17
 GIRUGIRU

@Shifty said:
I get this sometimes. Another 2k chivalry player here.
Since the latest patch (#5) It feels like I'm fighting against the game. Multiple clicks in order for it to register inputs, moves being queued up, morphs more inconsistent. Not sure if its the game or I'm just buggering up the timings.

I had this issue before and it all happened after a game freeze (of about 1-2sec), restarting my game fixed it. Definitely some kind of issues being caused after game freezes for me

As for parry difficulty, i don't have an issue consistently parrying but for a chiv player you need to realize your parry box and window are much smaller than Chivalry and you need to gett adjusted to that so you understand "why" you have been hit

Knight 941 2569
  • 22 Sep '17
 Pred

Parries seem fine, it's some of the attacks which are currently borked. Gollf swing specifically.

Knight 31 79
  • 23 Sep '17
 λdambomb

I agree that the poleaxe seems pretty hard to parry. Something about its super slow windup but terribly fast release. Make sure your playing on the lowest possible ping you can. I can feel a HUGE difference between 60 and 90 ping. It really only leaves me with like one server in West NA.