Mordhau

Why training with bots it not good enough (yet) and how to make it better.

288 253
  • 22 Sep '17
 JasonBourne

This is not a rant post, don't get me wrong, the game is on the right path. Just a few suggestions from me.

Training with bots is very interesting. Basically you have an AI you can play with and it can help you learn the game faster without depending on a friend or another player. But there are some things that actually could be added to make training with these terminators a schedule in your Mordhau playtime. Here are a few:

Stamina. Recently there was ToggleDamage added which is awsome. But there could be also added something like ToggleStamina, because bots loose their weapon when they are out of stamina, and they aren't smart enough to pick it back up. So youre kinda stuck with a bot punching your face with his fists, but you want to fight him with swords so you have to kill them and in order to do that, you need to change ToggleDamage back to 1, kill him, and wait till he gets back with his sword. Rinse and repeat, which is tedious. So adding something to keep stamin 100% would be interesting.

Lord Stabsalot. Bots use way too much stabs, they keep stabbing, they even spam stabcombos. Like 70% of their attacks are stabs. I think the random swing percentage could be balanced more. Ive also read an indept post some days ago, that later in patches, you would be able to choose which strike bots can use. I cant find that post anymore but ifs that correct its already good news.

Spawning particular bots. We all know about Seymour, the humans nightmare. It would be nice if we could spawn him (or another bot with Halberd for example..) with console commands. Maybe a spawn list ? Now, to find Seymour for example, the only way you can do it is by adding and kicking bots.

Adding these option will skyrock gameplay with bots.

UPDATE:

• ToggleStamina has now been implemented in the game.
  • About bots stabbing too much, Marox said this : "we want to expose bot profiles eventually to .ini so players can tweak them, they support things like attack frequency, we just haven't had time to expose them yetat that point it'll be possible to edit anything you want therebut it's not top priority so not sure when i'll be able to get to it."
Knight 480 1124
  • 22 Sep '17
 Pred

@JasonBourne said:
Stamina. Recently there was ToggleDamage added which is awsome. But there could be also added something like ToggleStamina, because bots loose their weapon when they are out of stamina, and they aren't smart enough to pick it back up. So youre kinda stuck with a bot punching your face with his fists, but you want to fight him with swords so you have to kill them and in order to do that, you need to change ToggleDamage back to 1, kill him, and wait till he gets back with his sword. Rinse and repeat, which is tedious. So adding something to keep stamin 100% would be interesting.

You can spawn 3 or 4 bots, they usually stay in their area so you can still fight them separately most of the time and rotate them faster rather than wait for only one to re-spawn.

11 9
  • 22 Sep '17
 Askhold

The possibility to spawn Seymour, yes!

Conscript 271 306
  • 22 Sep '17
 Qwampa

Just add godmode infinite HP to practice chambers and we're good.

11 9
  • 22 Sep '17
 Askhold

@Qwampa said:

Well, there already is a console command to toggle the damage off, but as OP stated, there's the problem with stamina. Bots drop their weapon and keep coming at you with fists.

Mercenary 88 178
  • 22 Sep '17
 Racemate

@JasonBourne said:
Training with bots is very interesting. Basically you have an AI you can play with and it can help you learn the game faster without depending on a friend or another player. But there are some things that actually could be added to make training with these terminators a schedule in your Mordhau playtime ...

Agree. Also, would be nice if bots have several fighting patterns, which they could switch on a fly, depending on a player's fight style.

Conscript 271 306
  • 22 Sep '17
 Qwampa

@Askhold said:

@Qwampa said:

Well, there already is a console command to toggle the damage off, but as OP stated, there's the problem with stamina. Bots drop their weapon and keep coming at you with fists.

ToggleDamage! That is wonderful.

205 393
  • 22 Sep '17
 Astonop

Was just thinking about infinite stamina yesterday while playing against a few bots trying to train reaction speed. I think either unlimited stamina or having bots pick their weapons back up would definitely help.

Knight 10 9
  • 22 Sep '17
 Vegust

You can hit the ground near or behind the bot to make him panic parry and no one loses stamina.

Mercenary 36 38
  • 22 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

@Vegust said:
You can hit the ground near or behind the bot to make him panic parry and no one loses stamina.

Yes true but I was trying to practice chambers when there's multiple bots in a fight and if I do that then the bots end up losing their weapon because stamina in a pretty short time.

2019 3606
  • 22 Sep '17
 Maci

Next patch or so marox will make toggledamage also toggle stamina
already talked to him about this a couple of days ago

Knight 494 874
  • 22 Sep '17
 JoBe

Is it possible to open the console on Local Play? I have tried all reasonable keys, but nothing seems to activate it. I have gone through:

§ < + ´ ¨ ' , . - å ö ä

Knight 26 43
  • 22 Sep '17
 Sutinen

@JoBe said:
Is it possible to open the console on Local Play? I have tried all reasonable keys, but nothing seems to activate it. I have gone through:

§ < + ´ ¨ ' , . - å ö ä

Find "DefaultInput.ini" in your Mordhau Steam folder (Mordhau/Mordhau/Config), then CTRL+F to find "ConsoleKey", then change that to whatever you want. I use F9. I also put it in read only but not sure if you need to.

Knight 307 655
  • 22 Sep '17
 Alphonse

You might like this thread I made a few days ago.

288 253
  • 23 Sep '17
 JasonBourne

@Alphonse said:
You might like this thread I made a few days ago.

That was the post I was talking about, I couldnt find it back. Thanks for posting here. Will this be officially released ?

Knight 1627 1830
  • 23 Sep '17
 Void

Before toggledamage was added I found a way to train myself.
Load Camp and go up the staircase that is at the side of the map. The bot will follow you but it'll stop at the top of the stairs. It will only attack when you go near, so you can easily train chambers. If you get hit you can take a couple of steps back to heal. You also must try to not damage the bot so that you don't have to wait for it to respawn.
With the addition of toggledamage it's even easier. You can also control the bot's stamina by letting it replenish.

288 253
  • 23 Sep '17
 JasonBourne

@Void said:
Before toggledamage was added I found a way to train myself.
Load Camp and go up the staircase that is at the side of the map. The bot will follow you but it'll stop at the top of the stairs. It will only attack when you go near, so you can easily train chambers. If you get hit you can take a couple of steps back to heal. You also must try to not damage the bot so that you don't have to wait for it to respawn.
With the addition of toggledamage it's even easier. You can also control the bot's stamina by letting it replenish.

Yea I also used some bug like this, I step up a stone somewhere in the map, the bot just stands before the stone and attacks u when ur near. Its a usefull bug actually, but still I want something like Alphonse post. That way its best.

Knight 28 54

ToggleDamage + ToggleStamina combo is good now, tested and works like a charm :)

So, two years from now I will be successful chambermaid swinger.

https://streamable.com/0l7b4

Conscript 3830 4436
  • 1 Oct '17
 vanguard

Try chamber and immediately feint it while backpedaling. This is still helping me a lot do recommend.

288 253
  • 1 Oct '17
 JasonBourne

Post has been updated.