Mordhau

Make Chambering more rewarding

Mercenary 46 59
  • 21 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

In my opinion using chambers is not enough rewarding for how hard it is to do.

This is an amazing mechanic and should be encouraged more. For example adding 5 stamina gain from each successful chamber.

Also this would make the game look more attractive to wider audience. When someone who never played chivalry or much of other melee games sees gameplay where there is much chambering instead of much feints and morphs which one will they think looks more epic?

When you beat someone in duel using much chambers don't you feel much more like a melee god than when you mostly use feints and morphs that even the most inexperienced can do?

Duchess 6887 9859
  • 21 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

But it should be balanced, not OP.

Knight 27 40
  • 21 Sep '17
 Yurik

@Mizikiell said:

This is an amazing mechanic and should be encouraged more. For example adding 5 stamina gain from each successful chamber.

While I sort of agree with the idea of somehow making chambers rewarding, currently it's a block that doesn't cost you stamina. That's better than gaining five stamina.

Mercenary 46 59
  • 21 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

Huh? I meant you still don't lose stamina but instead of it just being block that doesn't stamina you would also gain 5 stamina.

Mercenary 46 59
  • 21 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

@Sir Zombie said:

I don't see how it would be op if it had 5 stamina gain. If someone manages to spam chambers he deserves to win the fight tbh.

Knight 106 188
  • 21 Sep '17
 Crim

@Mizikiell said:

@Sir Zombie said:

I don't see how it would be op if it had 5 stamina gain. If someone manages to spam chambers he deserves to win the fight tbh.

Spamming any action at all in the game means you do not deserve to win the fight. The point of balance is so variety, unpredictability and skill should win.

Mercenary 46 59
  • 21 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

@Crim said:

@Mizikiell said:

@Sir Zombie said:

Spamming any action at all in the game means you do not deserve to win the fight. The point of balance is so variety, unpredictability and skill should win.

You are basically saying you don't deserve to win fight if you block really much since chamber is just a block that does automatic riposte.

Its not like its easy to spam chambers at a good player. Chamber spam would never be problem and something people would complain since it's actually hard to do.

All I am saying is to make it bit more rewarding so that the fights will consist more of chambers instead of the easier mechanics to use.

Baron 129 311
  • 21 Sep '17
 2cool2care

Chambers are already rewarded by not using stamina and a fast hit without any windup, also you can morph a chamber wich is pretty confusing for the ennemy.

Also this would make the game look more attractive to wider audience. When someone who never played chivalry or much of other melee games sees gameplay where there is much chambering instead of much feints and morphs which one will they think looks more epic?

Nothing prevents people from using chambers right now, trying to get good at the game should be rewarding enough no?

Mercenary 46 59
  • 21 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

@2cool2care said:
Chambers are already rewarded by not using stamina and a fast hit without any windup, also you can morph a chamber wich is pretty confusing for the ennemy.

Nothing prevents people from using chambers right now, trying to get good at the game should be rewarding enough no?

Ofc nothing prevents people from using chambers but theres not really much need to use them since you can basically beat people without chambers just as easy with just feints and morphs, without taking as big risk or having as much skill. There should be more couragement to use chambers.

Duchess 6887 9859
  • 21 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

That is because most people are shit right now

Duchess 790 3483
  • 21 Sep '17
 Stouty

Chambers have a fine reward already but arguably they're too hard to land. The release animations in Mordhau are much faster than Slasher which helps reduce "muh floaty combat" critisms but at the expense of chamber consistency. I'd be down for some experimenting with the chamber window

Knight 106 188
  • 21 Sep '17
 Crim

@Mizikiell said:

@Crim said:

@Mizikiell said:

@Sir Zombie said:

You are basically saying you don't deserve to win fight if you block really much since chamber is just a block that does automatic riposte.

Its not like its easy to spam chambers at a good player. Chamber spam would never be problem and something people would complain since it's actually hard to do.

All I am saying is to make it bit more rewarding so that the fights will consist more of chambers instead of the easier mechanics to use.

I didn't say that at all.

I meant if you are up against an opponent that is going to try to chamber every attack (but has nothing else to offer in terms of offence), they shouldn't win against someone that is aware of that and knows how to counter that tactic. That's what balance is, spamming anything to the point of being predictable shouldn't ever mean a guaranteed win against a similar skilled player.

Mercenary 46 59
  • 21 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

@Stouty said:
Chambers have a fine reward already but arguably they're too hard to land. The release animations in Mordhau are much faster than Slasher which helps reduce "muh floaty combat" critisms but at the expense of chamber consistency. I'd be down for some experimenting with the chamber window

Yes I agree that the reward of losing no stamina would be fine if they were a bit easier to land(longer chamber window)

Knight 28 57
  • 26 Sep '17
 MaćkozBogdańca

@Mizikiell said:

@Stouty said:

Yes I agree that the reward of losing no stamina would be fine if they were a bit easier to land(longer chamber window)

chamber.gif

Knight 1269 3808
  • 26 Sep '17
 Frise

You can feint a chamber at no cost, that in itself is incredibly strong. Chambers are very rewarding already, it's just that the animations make them hard to consistently land. But when you do, you just scored a huge advantage, even if it's not instantly obvious, the stam advantage and tempo gain is very relevant.

Knight 28 57
  • 27 Sep '17
 MaćkozBogdańca

@Frise said:
You can feint a chamber at no cost, that in itself is incredibly strong.

But doesn't that make you feinter anyway? Serious question.

Empress 380 892
  • 27 Sep '17
 Soulcatcher

The simple fact is that when a weapon reaches the release stage, it's very fast. The windups are very slow, being realistic MOST people won't, don't and will never have the reflexes needed to consistently chamber anything other than a stab. Like, I haven't practiced chambers a lot but it seems you need to attack at like literally right as you should be hit, and considering the speed of weapons how is it viable to try to do that? it almost seems like a gamble. Why not simply play it safe, parry, riposte into a feint or something else? that would probably pan out better.

It seems far easier to simply rely on feints, drags, morphs, confusing opponents with different directional attacks etc

I just can't see the reason to have it in your head to try to do this when you have (honestly) lots of easier, simple mechanics to kill some cunt quicker.

Mercenary 46 59
  • 27 Sep '17
 Mizikiell

@Soulcatcher said:
The simple fact is that when a weapon reaches the release stage, it's very fast. The windups are very slow, being realistic MOST people won't, don't and will never have the reflexes needed to consistently chamber anything other than a stab. Like, I haven't practiced chambers a lot but it seems you need to attack at like literally right as you should be hit, and considering the speed of weapons how is it viable to try to do that? it almost seems like a gamble. Why not simply play it safe, parry, riposte into a feint or something else? that would probably pan out better.

It seems far easier to simply rely on feints, drags, morphs, confusing opponents with different directional attacks etc

I just can't see the reason to have it in your head to try to do this when you have (honestly) lots of easier, simple mechanics to kill some cunt quicker.

This is my whole point. Chambering is such a nice mechanic but there's really not much point to using it when you can kill people easier with the other mechanics without taking the risk of getting hit while trying to chamber.

Knight 1269 3808
  • 27 Sep '17
 Frise

@MaćkozBogdańca said:

@Frise said:
You can feint a chamber at no cost, that in itself is incredibly strong.

But doesn't that make you feinter anyway? Serious question.

Yes, feinting makes you a feinter. And the best players in the game are and will always be feinters, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's an integral part of the game.

Mercenary 51 50
  • 27 Sep '17
 Uktuli

This is my whole point. Chambering is such a nice mechanic but there's really not much point to using it when you can kill people easier with the other mechanics without taking the risk of getting hit while trying to chamber.

Chambering should be a little easier to pull off, not more rewarding when you do. As it is, probably 10% or less of the player base is going to be able to consistently chamber anything but a stab, even after extensive practice. I know I won't be able to; my reflexes just aren't what they used to be.