Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Alpha Build #5 Discussion Thread

Knight 292 904
  • 21 Sep '17
 GIRUGIRU

really nice update, the emotes are really great and cheesy. Restarted vk comp server and all the players spent the next 20min or so in hardcore roleplay - good shit, please add more

• dynamic feint recovery is a welcome addition, there may be issues with punishing after a feint if it's different with all weapons but that can easily be fixed with some simple input queuing. Not noticed anything regarding that though as of the 2-3 hours i played on the build already though

• Kick recovery; just makes punishing kicks a little weaker. I imagine a proper stamina system will fix that though, kick miss + parry gonna put u in alot of danger, so that's fine for now

• Morph stam cost, good, needed.

• Liking the poleaxe buff, i felt the alt grip was abit shitty on it, too much of a range sacrifice to make it worth the slight extra damage it did - now it should be powerful enough to warrant using.

• Mordhau grip buff seems fair, previously the mode has pretty horrendous turncaps and swing manipulation not to mention the range drop - so the damage buff should warrant it being useful now

• 120tick when tbh

• rapier is alot of fun, made some huge plays with it in the time i used it. Slashing heavy armor does absolutely no damage, is to be expected - headshotting with stabs seems to makeup for that

Next i'd like to see some shield balance or changes (whether temp or permanent) - just try stuff out. Chase mechanic could do with implementing (and balancing) sooner rather than later, and have a little look on active parry to make it feel abit more consistent - whatever that entails

apart from that, really good shit and im impressed with the speed of the updates. Keep it up but don't burn yourselves out aswell guys

EDIT: forgot to add - please add some kind of particle + sound effect for chambers. Even if it's just for the spectator/1stp and nothing more. They are satisfying to do but it could really do with some sexy effect for spectatorship. I really like the sliding weapons thing; honestly think if you added that to all chambers it would just look really nice and satisfying to chamber

1315 2881
  • 21 Sep '17
 Monsteri

@LegendaryZero said:

I just gotta say that I still found the attack direction detection specifically for stab to be slightly inconsistent. The 240 system for swing had been way better since alpha #3, but the stab is somehow still tricky sometime. Like I would attempt to stab to left only to have it coming out to right.

Maybe it's just a nature of scroll wheel (no hold down) as compared to LMB that's causing some problem for stab?

Yeah, it's because of the scrollwheel. I tried binding the stab to a thumb button and instantly had no issues whatsoever.

Sadly my thumb buttons are in a poor spot where I lose my grip on the mouse if I move my thumb there, so I have to endure the unpredictable angles with mwheel.

I'm not sure how this could be fixed so that it functions as wanted even with the mwheel, but it should be a priority item.

Knight 627 2068
  • 21 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

Releasing a patch every two days is seriously incredible. I am amazed at how hard you are working on the game.

I love the rapier. It is pure aggression. With it you can force clashes and flinch your opponent before his attack lands. My stamina gets depleted every time, which makes using a shield mandatory as it will fly off instead of the rapier and restore enough stamina to end the duel.

Fifteen new emotes? Wow. Great change that attacking only cancels the emote while parrying will actually parry. I used to be able to land a surprise attack by attacking out of an emote, and sometimes I would be attacked during the emote. Now neither are an issue. It may be a tiny change, but it still amazes me how you are thinking of absolutely everything.

I love all the other additions too. Reading patch notes has never excited me, let alone this much. I am not sure if reducing the recovery time of a missed kick is a good change, but it does make the fight more fluid and fast paced.

Knight 399 873
  • 21 Sep '17
 Alphonse

@LegendaryZero said:
Maybe it's just a nature of scroll wheel (no hold down) as compared to LMB that's causing some problem for stab?

I figured the same. Picking what direction it comes from (left, right, upper, lower) is kinda hard because the timing is a little different to a regular strike. I need to be super focused to throw 10 stabs and match the angle I want.

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 21 Sep '17
 EruTheTeapot

I like rapier, its fast and fun to play tbh

Maybe adjustments on slash damage later on If needed ?

Knight 147 159
  • 21 Sep '17
 MrBlackDragon

Just ended a long night and I have to say a lot of the changes are great. I love the emotes and the console command for removing damage made it a lot easier to train in local without having to chase down bots.

But then there's the rapier...
I played for several hours against rapier-wielding opponents and all I saw was twirling twirling ballerinas. As this weapon currently behaves it totally defeats your stance against on spin fighting. And before anyone goes and says "git gud" this isn't about skill, its about the dancing around playstyle. Watching these people in spectator view was nauseating as they exploited the speed and range of the rapier.

Knight 697 1611
  • 21 Sep '17
 das

Rapier is incredibly fun and feels even OP for duels, it's like a superior Quarterstaff. You can flinch for days and chamber morphs are pretty sanic. Big damage across the board against non-plate, sanic speed, one of the longer 1hers, headshots on either attack still fierce against plate. Possibly my favorite weapon right now.

Duke 38 42
  • 21 Sep '17
 Parsley

There is a huge issue with kick spamming and then rapier thrusts, my friend and I tested it and you just get stuck in a loop and die, always.

I think kicks should not lock you for such an enourmous period of time, you can kick someone and get about 20-25 feet away from them before they can move or swing. In Chivalry kicks didn't lock you for nearly as long, and you could duck and matrix swings anyways.

Knight 5410 7408
  • 21 Sep '17
 Humble Staff

Yea the rapier feels too damn good, can't say if op but it truly feels alive in use. The kick recovery feels really forgiving now, a split second late and you wont be able to punish/get punished, is a good change imho.

Duke 38 42
  • 21 Sep '17
 Parsley

@Humble Staff said:
Yea the rapier feels too damn good, can't say if op but it truly feels alive in use. The kick recovery feels really forgiving now, a split second late and you wont be able to punish/get punished, is a good change imho.

You must main light classes then, heavy guys jsut get stuck and die, I tested on a server and went 24-0, and then tested for 40 minutes with a friend andf found it impossible to deal with. An issue is that you can unlimitedly kick with no stamina loss, and kick in quick succession.

Knight 5410 7408
  • 21 Sep '17
 Humble Staff

i mostly play in medium armor, also i just came out of fucking around in a EU server. Holy shit the rapier spam is too damn hig.
(spam as in you see it a lot, not in nerf pls, that's up to you devs to judge)

Mercenary 51 50
  • 21 Sep '17
 Uktuli

The damage toggle is great for practice, but please add the ability to toggle stamina drain as well. It doesn't take long for a bot to drop its weapon. At that point you have to remove it and add another.

1315 2881
  • 21 Sep '17
 Monsteri

@Uktuli said:
The damage toggle is great for practice, but please add the ability to toggle stamina drain as well. It doesn't take long for a bot to drop its weapon. At that point you have to remove it and add another.

You can also kill the bot

Mercenary 51 50
  • 21 Sep '17
 Uktuli

Yeah, but that requires opening up the console and turning damage back on first. Then you have to turn it off again when you spawn a new bot. I just want to be able to endlessly chamber a bot without interruption.

Knight 63 88
  • 21 Sep '17
 greyfox

"Added ToggleDamage console command, requires admin and sets damage factor to 0 until toggled back to normal, can also be done locally"

You guys are the best! Now I can properly excercise with bots without respawning all the time!

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 21 Sep '17
 vanguard

@Uktuli said:

Yeah, but that requires opening up the console and turning damage back on first. Then you have to turn it off again when you spawn a new bot. I just want to be able to endlessly chamber a bot without interruption.

Chamber and then feint it. Its what I'm doing, its helping me a lot to read some of those funny bot drags, specially Grute Pier and Ivar the Boneless, these motherfuckers were giving me trouble to chamber

Duchess 806 3550
  • 22 Sep '17
 Stouty

@Uktuli said:

Feint your chamber

Duke 341 974
  • 22 Sep '17
 Ruby Rhoderick

I noticed that a "MaxSlots" command line argument was added. How do I go about upping the max slots from the default 16? In the DefaultGame.ini, I've changed MaxSlots to 24 under [/Script/Mordhau.MordhauGameSession], but only 16 players are still able to join.

988 6974
  • 22 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

@Ruby Rhoderick said:
I noticed that a "MaxSlots" command line argument was added. How do I go about upping the max slots from the default 16? In the DefaultGame.ini, I've changed MaxSlots to 24 under [/Script/Mordhau.MordhauGameSession], but only 16 players are still able to join.

Currently locked to max 16

Baron 201 453
  • 22 Sep '17
 Ceegal

@Humble Staff said:
Yea the rapier feels too damn good

Rapier Op