Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Exploit to make stab chambers impossible?

Knight 3 4
  • 20 Sep '17
 FrappyWet

So I've fought a handful of people who've worked out how to make a stab attack that is literally un-chamberable. It seems like if you aim your stab wide on purpose and then re-target at the last second, as your stab is finishing, it will hit you (dealing full damage) but is impossible to chamber. Not entirely sure why, but I guess its because you cant look at the tip of their weapon because it's beside you in the wind-up and early release, then suddenly inside/behind you at the end of their release.

It's kinda dumb that chambering becomes useless because then you're left with parrying as your only form of defence, which can be feinted or morphed or whatever. My point being that taking chambering out play really screws with the balance of the game

I suppose you might argue that you could just turn 90 degrees to your opponent and run, trying to dodge away from his stab but in heavy armour that's not likely to work because he will still be able to flick to your lumbering body, and again you are basically just gambling that he won't morph into a slash or feint - which you won't be able to see if you're running away from him.

Is this the kinda thing that might get fixed soon? and until then, anyone else encountered a similar playstyle?

Oh and one last thing: I know its not a "git gud" kinda thing because I've been trying to use chambers a lot, and I've gotten chambering stabs down pretty tidily - a normal stab attack I can chamber with no problems, but I have never chambered one of these weird side-stab things.

Baroness 175 185
  • 20 Sep '17
 Edy_Nelson

You might be able to chamber it if you look at the blade instead of your opponent.
As of now chambering stabs is very easy to do and I like the fact that drags make it a not consistent chamber.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 20 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

Are you talking about drags?

Baron 583 973
  • 20 Sep '17
 lash

Look at their blade, not their helmet.

11 9
  • 21 Sep '17
 Askhold

Isn't that just a drag stab? Easiest how to counter is to keep a proper distance, so there is no need to turn so much to the side to get a chamber or even a parry in.

Knight 15 25
  • 21 Sep '17
 Gremp

It actually is a git gud. Chambering isn't only about purely using that mechanic. It's also about using footwork to prepare yourself for the attack.

You can counter a dragstab with footwork, and if you do then you can also chamber it successfully.

Mercenary 112 315
  • 22 Sep '17
 Racemate

@FrappyWet said:
... it will hit you (dealing full damage) but is impossible to chamber. Not entirely sure why, but I guess its because you cant look at the tip of their weapon because it's beside you in the wind-up and early release, then suddenly inside/behind you at the end of their release.

Do you mean something like this:

It's hard to detect when it's used against you, but when I suddenly implemented it by myself it became obvious. Honestly, I don't know how to deal with this kind of attacks, but maintain a proper distance.