Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Dissapointed: Is Mordhau Chivalry 2.0?

Count 671 1131
  • 20 Sep '17
 Zexis

@ANALGRINDER said:
Same boring shitt when after release you will see only duel servers where only pro will be anbd will kick you fast ... few peoples and the game will die fast..
The game must be about fun gameplay... is just a pc game and with double KO is more realistic and fun.
And this double KO is rare and happening only when both players hit same time and weapons have not collision.

6360177736300409091126954389_Cartoon-stop.jpg

Knight 697 1611
  • 20 Sep '17
 das

I am more than satisfied that this is Chivalry 2.0.

Except with horses and sieges and possibly 32v32 on open fields.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 20 Sep '17
 Huggles

@UnderPepeGrillosControlΦ said:

@Runagate said:
I apologize for calling you names. My point still stands though: Mordhau is in an early alpha version. It hasn't even been out for a month. It's an incredibly well made alpha by today's standards for sure, but still not nearly a finished game. As such very few things are set in stone.

I am agree with you.
I really like the game, but it's what I said before: Every time I duel everyone makes feints and morphs, so much as there is the wonderful characteristic of the sword clash is very unlikely to see it, and it is a shame because it is beautiful.

This much I sort of agree with. I think a shorter windup in general will make it feel much less like chiv. It would also make clashing a more reliable mechanic. However, to offset the shorter windup the animations should be significantly better telegraphed and feinting/morphing should be limited to pretty much the first few frames of windup. Rn you can feint and morph a bit too late in windup and windup animations are a bit too hard to read.

I think the game would feel significantly better with these changes. Simple stuff like this can dramatically change the flow and feel of combat and in this instance I think for the better.

Baron 291 224
  • 20 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@Huggles said:

@UnderPepeGrillosControlΦ said:

@Runagate said:
I apologize for calling you names. My point still stands though: Mordhau is in an early alpha version. It hasn't even been out for a month. It's an incredibly well made alpha by today's standards for sure, but still not nearly a finished game. As such very few things are set in stone.

I am agree with you.
I really like the game, but it's what I said before: Every time I duel everyone makes feints and morphs, so much as there is the wonderful characteristic of the sword clash is very unlikely to see it, and it is a shame because it is beautiful.

This much I sort of agree with. I think a shorter windup in general will make it feel much less like chiv. It would also make clashing a more reliable mechanic. However, to offset the shorter windup the animations should be significantly better telegraphed and feinting/morphing should be limited to pretty much the first few frames of windup. Rn you can feint and morph a bit too late in windup and windup animations are a bit too hard to read.

I think the game would feel significantly better with these changes. Simple stuff like this can dramatically change the flow and feel of combat and in this instance I think for the better.

The animations could definitely be better telegraphed. In WOTR attacks were actually so well telegraphed that I could read the chat and fight people at the same time and even win as I didn't need to be looking straight at my opponent to be able to tell where their next attack was coming from (This of course worked only with people who were only somewhat good in the game. I couldn't do this against people of my own level not to speak of those above my level).

Knight 66 72
  • 20 Sep '17
 DoubleK

You seem mentally ill, no offense. This game is nothing like Shitvalry. There's directional attacks, chambering, better throwables, better kicks, better animations, better everything, REAL customization, the fights look like fights, and there's no retarded spinning bullshit. I "sucked ass" in Shitvalry on PC because I refused to learn the retarded exploits. In Mordhau I still kinda suck but at least when I die it's my fault. So yeah, get the f out with that shit. How dare you even compare this gem of a game (even though it's still an alpha) to a big, giant, stinky piece of dog feces like Shitvalry.

The only similarities between Shitvalry and Mordhau is that they both have knights and there's dragging. That's fucking it.

96 128
  • 20 Sep '17
 Reapy

I agree that it does feel a lot like chivalry 'base' and you are seeing a lot of players with a chiv background taking the stuff from that game and applying it here. It is coming out effective because those techniques work and they are well versed in them from their years of using it effectively.

I think it is too soon yet to really see how it shakes out and to see if the mordhau way is the chiv way as people haven't had enough time yet with the game to figure things out.

To me, the defining features that make it feel 'chiv' are is the timed parry window. In m&b I could be very free with blocking. It was okay to be fast, and I worked a lot to get on block button the instant the arms moved on the character model even before I was 100% sure of the block direction because I wanted that reaction speed in place.

Here you have to be very calm and watch everything until the last second and not do anything, so you have to be sort of inactive yet highly alert.

The other things is a more emphasis on blade placement on your swing. Hitting early or late in the arc, hitting high or low. In m&b you could hold your attack slightly to vary your timing, which would be the equivalent of a drag here. This was a good way to defeat chambers because your weapon was ready to hit sooner, and a slight hesitation means they would start their chamber early, yet your blade would still hit them.

Hitting early or late in the swing arc didn't really do much, it was always in your best interest to hit people as soon as possible.

So I think when bannerlord comes out, I think I'll be over there as my primary thing because 3rd person and the larger battlefields are in my blood. I don't want mordhau to look like m&b despite me comparing it a lot to systems though. I want it to be mordhau, which in my mind is doing all of the things torn banner was unable to do with their combat system and more.

For me so far the defining feature of mordhau is the way the weapons feel alive in this game. They interact so well with the world that it stands out so much. I feel like if you learn the combat system well you can make your blade sing. Chambers, weapon collisions, battering thrown melee weapons out of the air, smooth hit detection, all of that just creates a wonderful feeling and makes the weapon feel so much more present in the game world than other melee games have done before.

Baron 291 224
  • 20 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@Reapy said:
To me, the defining features that make it feel 'chiv' are is the timed parry window. In m&b I could be very free with blocking. It was okay to be fast, and I worked a lot to get on block button the instant the arms moved on the character model even before I was 100% sure of the block direction because I wanted that reaction speed in place.

Here you have to be very calm and watch everything until the last second and not do anything, so you have to be sort of inactive yet highly alert.

This is one of the things I don't really like about Chiv / Mordhau. Having played WOTR for years which was basically an improved M&B I'm used to the same "Speed = Success" mindset that you have. In WOTR being fast made you immortal. In Chiv / Mordhau being fast will get you killed. Instead you have to be precisely on time instead, not fast, not slow, but somewhere in between. I prefer the former system, but I believe I can learn to live with the other one too.

Knight 337 778
  • 20 Sep '17
 AngelEyes

@BEACHES said:

The game is supposed to be a "fixed" version of Chivalry.

Says who? Says you?

I saw nowhere in any single one of their videos or on kickstarter page that Mordhau was trying to be a "fixed" Chivalry. It was said in the kickstarter video and as the OP stated they are inspired and influenced by multiple different titles.

further the genre. Why would they limit themselves to what Chivalry accomplished or "almost" accomplished? That's thinking small.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 20 Sep '17
 Huggles

@Reapy said:
I agree that it does feel a lot like chivalry 'base' and you are seeing a lot of players with a chiv background taking the stuff from that game and applying it here. It is coming out effective because those techniques work and they are well versed in them from their years of using it effectively.

I think it is too soon yet to really see how it shakes out and to see if the mordhau way is the chiv way as people haven't had enough time yet with the game to figure things out.

The other things is a more emphasis on blade placement on your swing. Hitting early or late in the arc, hitting high or low. In m&b you could hold your attack slightly to vary your timing, which would be the equivalent of a drag here. This was a good way to defeat chambers because your weapon was ready to hit sooner, and a slight hesitation means they would start their chamber early, yet your blade would still hit them.

Hitting early or late in the swing arc didn't really do much, it was always in your best interest to hit people as soon as possible.

So I think when bannerlord comes out, I think I'll be over there as my primary thing because 3rd person and the larger battlefields are in my blood. I don't want mordhau to look like m&b despite me comparing it a lot to systems though. I want it to be mordhau, which in my mind is doing all of the things torn banner was unable to do with their combat system and more.

For me so far the defining feature of mordhau is the way the weapons feel alive in this game. They interact so well with the world that it stands out so much. I feel like if you learn the combat system well you can make your blade sing. Chambers, weapon collisions, battering thrown melee weapons out of the air, smooth hit detection, all of that just creates a wonderful feeling and makes the weapon feel so much more present in the game world than other melee games have done before.

This is so on point. What best seperates the good players in mordhau isn't really chambering or feinting or dragging or any of that. With two people who know and perform the combat equally as well, it comes down to composure. The guy who keeps his cool and refrains from panicking will win.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 20 Sep '17
 vanguard

It is a really fast paced patience game tbh

Sellsword 3 4
  • 21 Sep '17
 nazgo

@DoubleK said:
You seem mentally ill, no offense. This game is nothing like Shitvalry. There's directional attacks, chambering, better throwables, better kicks, better animations, better everything, REAL customization, the fights look like fights, and there's no retarded spinning bullshit. I "sucked ass" in Shitvalry on PC because I refused to learn the retarded exploits. In Mordhau I still kinda suck but at least when I die it's my fault. So yeah, get the f out with that shit. How dare you even compare this gem of a game (even though it's still an alpha) to a big, giant, stinky piece of dog feces like Shitvalry.

The only similarities between Shitvalry and Mordhau is that they both have knights and there's dragging. That's fucking it.

I never really bothered to master melee in chivalry, I simply didnt enjoy the unrealistic moves. I came to mordhau with high hopes that they would remove shit like the rainbow and dragging and for the first few days mordhau was fantastic as the game offers a much deeper combat system than chivalry. There actually were proper duels, but then slowly it started moving towards the same shit. This morning more than half of the duel server were already sprinting, crouching, jumping and dragging in the duels. Yea, sure, I could learn how to do them myself and how to counter them but thats not the reason I supported mordhau. I supported mordhau to get rid of stuff like that.

Now I just wish they would give me my bow and arrows, so I could mind my own business far away from those unrealistic fights :(

Duke 2266 4010
  • 21 Sep '17
 Huggles

@nazgo said:

@DoubleK said:

I never really bothered to master melee in chivalry, I simply didnt enjoy the unrealistic moves. I came to mordhau with high hopes that they would remove shit like the rainbow and dragging and for the first few days mordhau was fantastic as the game offers a much deeper combat system than chivalry. There actually were proper duels, but then slowly it started moving towards the same shit. This morning more than half of the duel server were already sprinting, crouching, jumping and dragging in the duels. Yea, sure, I could learn how to do them myself and how to counter them but thats not the reason I supported mordhau. I supported mordhau to get rid of stuff like that.

Now I just wish they would give me my bow and arrows, so I could mind my own business far away from those unrealistic fights :(

See, I can kinda see your point but for that to be the case they would have to drastically reduce the parry box. I mean, do you really think the gme should just be parry > riposte > parry > riposte?

Also, jump attacks are badass not bs, lol. Rainbows aren't a thing. Drags are a thing and will always be a thing because without it parrying would be an absolute joke. Sprinting isn't stupid at all, idk how that is bad lmao. Do you want to add a cap to sprinting? Do you want people to not be able to sprint while swinging?

The only BS thing I think I agree with is some of the crouch drag and stuff look pretty stupid, but that is also almost impossible to get rid of without breaking other stuff.

Duke 162 274
  • 21 Sep '17
 BEACHES

Realism doesn't equal fun. Why care about realism. Care about fun high skill mechanics.

If it was realistic there would be some stupid grappling mechanics and it would turn into pro wrestling.

Duke 162 274
  • 21 Sep '17
 BEACHES

@AngelEyes said:

@BEACHES said:

The game is supposed to be a "fixed" version of Chivalry.

Says who? Says you?

I saw nowhere in any single one of their videos or on kickstarter page that Mordhau was trying to be a "fixed" Chivalry. It was said in the kickstarter video and as the OP stated they are inspired and influenced by multiple different titles.

further the genre. Why would they limit themselves to what Chivalry accomplished or "almost" accomplished? That's thinking small.

Because the combat system right now is an advanced Chivalry with reverses removed. They don't have to say it, because that's what it is.

200 37
  • 21 Sep '17
 Kingindian

I have only played a little bit, but yeah it felt to much like chivalry.
Had a short experience with chivalry, but that game felt really bad.

Mordhau in my experience, felt to slow paced and not really back and forth gameplay as i thought it was gonna be.
Fighting more than one player at the same time felt bad aswell, maybe cuz you have so small mobility. Either way, lots of things to improve if this game is gonna become good and fun.

What I probably would like to see are movement-kind of attacks, you use your "wasd" and then hit the mouse to do different attacks.
The dragging of the mouse can work but would like to see the effect reduced so the player cant "dance" to much around, feels unnatural and more of "tricking the system" type.

Feinting is not a fun mechanic either, especially if thats the way to attack. If that will be the case i cant see this game being good ever.
When you do your attack, and the enemy parries you and then its his turn to attack. Something needs to be done here as well, it shouldnt always be
I attack->enemy parry, now its his turn. And then you repeat.

Also, sometimes you should be able to do 2+ attacks in a row. So we have actually "combos".

301 875
  • 21 Sep '17
 Naleaus

@Kingindian said:

Feinting is not a fun mechanic either, especially if thats the way to attack. If that will be the case i cant see this game being good ever.
When you do your attack, and the enemy parries you and then its his turn to attack. Something needs to be done here as well, it shouldnt always be
I attack->enemy parry, now its his turn. And then you repeat.

Also, sometimes you should be able to do 2+ attacks in a row. So we have actually "combos".

I'm confused, you don't want it to be only back and forth, but you don't like the mechanics in place to do that. Feints, morphs, drags, chambers etc, are used to break up the combat.
As for combos, not sure what you're talking about, as you can combo at anytime as long as you're not parried.

Knight 399 873
  • 21 Sep '17
 Alphonse

All this people saying

you can't spin

Actually, your sort of can. There are 360 stabs (actually turning around and doing a 180+ with a drag) and almost full 360 no scope strikes which people will be able to chain up with more practice or 3PP. I've seen countless attack tracers do 360 on the spot.

Granted, they're mostly effective if you're too passive, and you rarely get hit by the backswing.

Granted, it actually requires some skill as you need to flow into the spin during several attack phases (while not attacking, then windup and release). But since the character movement interpolation is currently so jumpy, and lightning fast changes in angle and direction are not reflected quickly enough to the other client (in order to react), it's easy to abuse if you master them. I'd call this part of Chivalry bullshit spinning.

They could be left in the game, but there's no penalty for doing them, so the meta might veer towards them as they can be flashy and effective.

Baron 135 244
  • 21 Sep '17
 EvilSuD

When dealing with a guy that likes to jump just hit him in the legs since it does extra damage.

Knight 337 778
  • 21 Sep '17
 AngelEyes

@BEACHES said:
Introduce any more M&B mechanics and I'll probably drop the game. I don't think I disliked a combat system more than M&Bs. I'm already not crazy about the 240 system at all. I don't give a flying fuck about realism I just want a fun game.

@BEACHES said:
Because the combat system right now is an advanced Chivalry with reverses removed. They don't have to say it, because that's what it is.

See a little contradiction there from the above?

Which is it? Is the game borderline too much M&B or is right now it an advanced Chivalry? What's wrong with the 240 system? Not enough like Chiv??

Don't pretend like the kickstarter campaign didn't pull melee fans out of the wood-ward including a good portion from M&B, including myself. I really don't want to make petty one liners but I admit I was ready to not type any of this and just say "Go back to Chivalry then".

Either way. I don't want the game to be Chiv and I don't want it to be Warband. Reapy summed it up eloquently and I need to speak no further.

@Reapy said:
I don't want mordhau to look like m&b despite me comparing it a lot to systems though. I want it to be mordhau

King 18 76
  • 21 Sep '17
 ClockTower

Are you trolling? It's in alpha....anyone complaining now is like yelling your complaints off a balcony.

"Nowadays people only use feints and morphs." NOWADAYS?!?!?! its not even 3 weeks old.