Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Dissapointed: Is Mordhau Chivalry 2.0?

Knight 39 51

So this is just an opinion:

I have bought the game because of the kickstarter video, just because of the words that a creator says in the kickstarter video:

"...international team, driven by a pasionate for melee games in the medieval era. We acumulated thousands of hours of playtime in similar titles, and we are using this experience..."

I have played those titles:

• Mount & Blade +- 2600
  • Chivlary +-1950
  • Kingdom Come +- 140
  • Of Kings and Men +-200

So in my opinion, Mordhau is just Chivalry with 2 new features: Morphs and clashing swords. Not new at all, the other 3 games methioned before have it.
First days of my experience was good. Nowadays people only use feints and morphs. There is no fun and beauty in a fight anymore.
I like feints, I really like, but if there are feints I need to be able to respond, like in Mount and Blade, Kingdom Come and Of Kings and Men with directional blocking.
I like tons of features of those 3 games, like:

• Keep your attack ready from wherever you want, directional atack (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen).
  • Block from wherever you want when you want with no recovery time (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen).
  • Weapon clashing (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen).
  • Breacking shields (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen).
  • Horse fight (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen-Development).
  • If they hit you at high speed you fall off the horse (Mount&Blade).
  • Ship fight (Mount&Blade).

So Chivalry allways had the simplest fight, and Mordhau is following the same way.

"...international team, driven by a pasionate for melee games in the medieval era. We acumulated thousands of hours of playtime in similar titles, and we are using this experience...", so I thought this game will be different. Disappointed :(

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 20 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

@UnderPepeGrillosControlΦ said:
I like tons of features of those 3 games, like:

• Keep your attack ready from wherever you want, directional atack (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen).

Directional is in and better than ever. Holding your attack is weird and would ruin combat.

• Block from wherever you want when you want with no recovery time (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen).

You don't want mistakes to be punishable?

• Weapon clashing (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen).

Is in.

You can lose your shield already.

• Horse fight (Mount&Blade, KingdomCome, OfKingsAndMen-Development).

Will come later. This is only alpha.

• Ship fight (Mount&Blade).

It is only alpha right now. There might be a ship map later.

Knight 39 51

Directional is in and better than ever. Holding your attack is weird and would ruin combat.

Yes and no. Both are good.

You don't want mistakes to be punishable?

Belive me, you can make a LOT of mistakes because is a DIRECTIONAL block.

You can lose your shield already.

Lose, not break. I saw people running to get the shield back.

I know Mordhau has the other features and I love them. But what I am trying to say is that I see the same Chivalry combat, and I do not see the same combat in the other 3 games.

Mordhau now is a feint and morph simulator.

Knight 2307 4188
  • 20 Sep '17
 Runagate

Mordhau now is also an unfinished alpha you mong. It also has none of the bullshit exploits of Chivalry.

Also chambering is a thing.

Knight 31 79
  • 20 Sep '17
 λdambomb

Mordhau has never promised to be anything more than chivalry on steroids. That's what the chivalry veterans wanted and that's what the devs are. Timed blocks are more fun (and more realistic to be honest because they are parries not blocks) and more skillful. Mount and Blade\kingdom come\chivalry were never meant to be competitive on the level mordhau is aspiring to be. The combat needs to be solid and skillful. Easy to learn, hard to master. No gimmicky shit like breaking shields and held swings.

Knight 39 51

@λdambomb said:
Mordhau has never promised to be anything more than chivalry on steroids. That's what the chivalry veterans wanted and that's what the devs are. Timed blocks are more fun (and more realistic to be honest because they are parries not blocks) and more skillful. Mount and Blade\kingdom come\chivalry were never meant to be competitive on the level mordhau is aspiring to be. The combat needs to be solid and skillful. Easy to learn, hard to master. No gimmicky shit like breaking shields and held swings.

I understand and respect your opinion :)

Knight 39 51

@Runagate said:
Mordhau now is also an unfinished alpha you mong. It also has none of the bullshit exploits of Chivalry.

Also chambering is a thing.

I have not insulted anyone, I have only given my opinion.
You have lost your reason for insulting.

Please and thank you.

Knight 2307 4188
  • 20 Sep '17
 Runagate

I apologize for calling you names. My point still stands though: Mordhau is in an early alpha version. It hasn't even been out for a month. It's an incredibly well made alpha by today's standards for sure, but still not nearly a finished game. As such very few things are set in stone.

Knight 39 51

@Runagate said:
I apologize for calling you names. My point still stands though: Mordhau is in an early alpha version. It hasn't even been out for a month. It's an incredibly well made alpha by today's standards for sure, but still not nearly a finished game. As such very few things are set in stone.

I am agree with you.
I really like the game, but it's what I said before: Every time I duel everyone makes feints and morphs, so much as there is the wonderful characteristic of the sword clash is very unlikely to see it, and it is a shame because it is beautiful.

1920 968

@Runagate said:

I am agree with you.
I really like the game, but it's what I said before: Every time I duel everyone makes feints and morphs, so much as there is the wonderful characteristic of the sword clash is very unlikely to see it, and it is a shame because it is beautiful.

I will agree, clashing and chambers are far more beautiful to watch and engage in than pure feints/morph battles.

But i think the devs would definitely agree with you on this one.

This is only alpha, give it some time and i'm sure we will see much more of this.

Also, clashes and chambers are much more difficult to pull off than a morph or a feint. So it may be we will naturally start to see more and more clashes and chambers as the skill level of the players get higher.

Also i really like and appreciate your politeness, and openness to consideration of others ideas/views.

Knight 697 1611
  • 20 Sep '17
 das

The rarity of clashes makes them that much more beautiful. And there are few things as satisfying as forcing an intentional clash versus a slow weapon so that you can go speedracer on them.

That being said, I should probably use 1hers more and see if I can force more clashes. With 2hers, you definitely want to go primarily for chambers.

Knight 2307 4188
  • 20 Sep '17
 Runagate

Yeah, I'll say it again as well - don't forget chambering.

214 412
  • 20 Sep '17
 Astonop

@Runagate said:

I am agree with you.

The developers have made it pretty clear over posts and I even believe on the title screen of the game that the Alpha is on no way meant to be used to show the full potential of the game nor for balancing it. There is an EXTREMELY solid chance that during the Beta all the qualms that people have with the combat that are widespread among the community will be resolved, such as the certain lack of clashes. Many people, mostly in the games chat itself, have shown the desire for clash rate to rise along with fixing of parry windows and slightly easier morphs.

Think of the Alpha as a tech demo that is being constantly changed with experimental features. Since Alpha release we have already had some pretty major changes, off the top of my head being the change from the old direction-then-click style to the more M&B focused combat style, a flat health recovery upon killing an enemy and constant changes of how damage works with certain armours and parts of the body.

All I can really say is wait. If you really don't like it right now and somehow these small gripes are putting you off enjoying the game, then play the games you enjoy and come back in the Beta to see what's what.

Knight 2307 4188
  • 20 Sep '17
 Runagate

How are you going to make clash rate rise artificially though? It's all based on the weapons' tracers colliding so that would have to be modified somehow.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 20 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

@λdambomb said:

Can't disagree wih that.
It is Chiv 2.0? Kindof, but I'd rather say good parts from Chiv 2.0

Knight 39 51

@Astonop said:

@Runagate said:

I am agree with you.

The developers have made it pretty clear over posts and I even believe on the title screen of the game that the Alpha is on no way meant to be used to show the full potential of the game nor for balancing it. There is an EXTREMELY solid chance that during the Beta all the qualms that people have with the combat that are widespread among the community will be resolved, such as the certain lack of clashes. Many people, mostly in the games chat itself, have shown the desire for clash rate to rise along with fixing of parry windows and slightly easier morphs.

Think of the Alpha as a tech demo that is being constantly changed with experimental features. Since Alpha release we have already had some pretty major changes, off the top of my head being the change from the old direction-then-click style to the more M&B focused combat style, a flat health recovery upon killing an enemy and constant changes of how damage works with certain armours and parts of the body.

All I can really say is wait. If you really don't like it right now and somehow these small gripes are putting you off enjoying the game, then play the games you enjoy and come back in the Beta to see what's what.

I know what an Alpha is. I like to support alpha games and developers because they always bring something new and different like Hellion, ProjectZomboid, SpaceEngineers, Blackwake, Chivalry, DayZ, Rust, StrandedDeep, TheForest, GangBeasts, Squad and a very long etc.
I know there will be perks and the combat will be balanced.

Well I can not discuss you what you said. Maybe what I do not like is that people are so competitive that they do not want to enjoy the game or look for errors, but to be the first in the table.
The same thing I said before: Duel = feint + morph spam. Maybe I will wait for the beta.

Knight 685 1855
  • 20 Sep '17
 ÐMontyleGueux

@Astonop said:

@Runagate said:

I am agree with you.

I know what an Alpha is. I like to support alpha games and developers because they always bring something new and different like Hellion, ProjectZomboid, SpaceEngineers, Blackwake, Chivalry, DayZ, Rust, StrandedDeep, TheForest, GangBeasts, Squad and a very long etc.
I know there will be perks and the combat will be balanced.

Well I can not discuss you what you said. Maybe what I do not like is that people are so competitive that they do not want to enjoy the game or look for errors, but to be the first in the table.
The same thing I said before: Duel = feint + morph spam. Maybe I will wait for the beta.

The feint + morph spam is a newbie tactic.
The lack of recovery phase after being blocked and the chambers encourages you to be way more aggressive towards your opponent. Trust me, feinting will get you killed a lot against more experienced players.
Also, don't forget to listen to the grunt noises to counter feints and morphs. Feint reading is a very technical part of the game, but it's beautiful to see your opponent lose his confidence as his feints have literally no effect on you.

Overall mordhau and mount and blade have taken two very different roads, which makes them hardly comparable. But don't believe that mordhau is too simple...

Knight 941 2569
  • 20 Sep '17
 Pred

@ÐMontyleGueux said:
The lack of recovery phase after being blocked and the chambers encourages you to be way more aggressive towards your opponent. Trust me, feinting will get you killed a lot against more experienced players.

Feinting, as "we are both not attacking" are not very useful, as everyone spams like crazy at any opening and you get flinched, so this part is true.

But the initial phase of the duel is pretty much a competition who can get to combo-feinting first.

1. You land a hit, press forward to facehug

2. Combo to an unreadable lightspeed accel

3. Feint

4. Profit

Duke 162 274
  • 20 Sep '17
 BEACHES

Introduce any more M&B mechanics and I'll probably drop the game. I don't think I disliked a combat system more than M&Bs. I'm already not crazy about the 240 system at all. I don't give a flying fuck about realism I just want a fun game.

The game is supposed to be a "fixed" version of Chivalry. I'm not sure it will be that yet, but it's in a very good place for an Alpha.

• 20 Sep '17
 BEACHES
This comment was deleted.